Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Chassidus

Unread 08-04-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

"sifrei ha'yirah habnuyim al pi sechel ho'anushi"

Can someone give me some examples of what the Alter Rebbe means here when he refers to "sifrei ha'yirah habnuyim al pi sechel ho'anushi," which he contrasts with those based on maamorei Chazal. Obviously he's talking about seforim from gedolei Yisroel. But what seforim from gedolei Yisroel are not based on Chazal? And if they are not based on Chazal and Torah, then exactly how do they bring to yiras Hashem?

Last edited by noahidelaws; 08-09-2010 at 12:56 PM.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
Kookoo Kabalist
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahidelaws View Post
... then exactly how do they bring to yiras Hashem?
And that a person can't come to yiras Hashem through seichel ho'anushi, where'd you get that idea from?
Kookoo Kabalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
noahidelaws

I hear you. So can you give me some examples of such a text, one that is kosher because it brings to yiras Hashem, but is not Torah-based? And by the way, if it's not Torah-based, then even a non-Jew could write it, no?
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
noahidelaws

I have been thinking that perhaps this is a reference to the Yiddisheh sifrei chakirah, such as the Moreh, Kuzari, Sefer Ho'Ikrim, and so on.

Now, to be sure, chakirah quotes from maamarei Chazal, and it explains them, but it does so in the general framework of the goyishe philosophy of the time, which based everything on sechel anushi. Chakirah disagrees with the apikursishe conclusions of greek philosophy, but it takes Torah and explains it on a very sechel anushi level, in order to strengthen the emunah of those who had been influenced by greek philosophy, and pull them away from that influence.

In other words, although these seforim quote Chazal, they are not "built" on Chazal; rather, they are built on sechel anushi, as they are an attempt to explain Torah according to sechel anushi. So perhaps this is what the Alter Rebbe is referring to.
Unread 10-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
elimelech

Yes I believe that he is referring to those works of Jewish phliosophy such as Moreh Nevuchim
elimelech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
mvakeshet

I thought so too.
mvakeshet is offline   Reply With Quote