Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Torah

Unread 03-09-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
mvakeshet

haggados

Is there one that most Lubavitchers use? Like a classic?

I'm looking for something that I can use as a preparation for the the seder. I would appreciate if you can include a brief description of the haggada along with your suggestion.
mvakeshet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Lubavitchers as a rule use the L haggodos pretty exclusively (for better or for worse).
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

This is a popular English haggadah with lots of nice insights and explanations. The procedure for following a lot of customs and halachos are also explained quite nicely.

T613's criticism, which is a fair point and common in a lot of Kehot's books, is that the only commentary on the haggadah that gets any kind of serious treatment is the Lubavitch commentary. So much of the interesting and important discussion about Pesach found in Rishonim, Gemarrah, or other modern sources is left out. To get a lot of that back, you might also check out some of these, of which several are nice.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Every year, I try to buy a new Haggadah in time to look through it before Pesach. The Rebbe's Haggadah brings down plenty non-L sources (because the Rebbe apparently learned non-Lubavitch seforim ). The Heichal Menachem Haggadah is great, but is decidedly Lubavitch.

I have the Bostoner Rebbe's Haggadah, the two Haggados that were published based upon the Divrei Yoel's comments, a Haggadah of compiled comments from the Ruzhiner dynasty, and the list goes on. I even have some non-Chassidic Haggados. Kol hamarbeh, harei ze meshubach.

Incidentally, the Divrei Yoel comments on the different nusach between the Bavli and Yerushalmi, regarding the 4 children. The Yerushalmi says "Tipesh" (Fool) instead of "Tam" (simple one). The Divrei Yoel comments (intentionally humorously), that the "air in Eretz Yisroel makes one wiser." And that it appears that one who is called a mere simpleton in Chu''l is therefore called an all-out fool in E''Y.

On the other side of the spectrum, the Divrei Yoel also points out the parallels between the Mitzriim who made sure that the Jews stood out in Mitzrayim, and the Nazis, y''s, who attached yellow stars to the Jews in the ghettos to ensure that they stood out to the rest of the Germans.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Also, the Abudraham's comments on the Haggadah, and on Pesach are extremely valuable. I forget whether I read this in the original, or out of the Rebbe's haggadah quoting the Abudarham, but the Abudarham asks an excellent question: Why do we say that if it were not for yetzias Mitzrayim, we would still be slaves to Paroh? Paroh and his regime are long-gone. He answers that the only reason the Paroh regime failed is because the Jews left Mitzrayim. Wherever Jews are found, the government flourishes. Whenever Jews leave, the government there loses power. If you look over the course of history, its amazing how true the Abudarham's comments are.
Unread 03-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Oh, the Chait Haggadah, which apparently is called the Katz Haggadah, is incredible.
Unread 03-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

Chasidei Chabad use the Rebbe's haggodo, which is a very scholarly work, and I don't know if it's what you're looking for. Of course, now we have the much-extolled Gutnick edition haggodo.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

I also have a Breslov Haggadah with interesting comments and plenty of Chasidic stories illustrating all stages of the Seder (I used it last year to tell some stories to my younger sisters during Pessach period).
mosheh5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
mvakeshet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
Lubavitchers as a rule use the L haggodos pretty exclusively (for better or for worse).
I figured that much. But from my trip to my local judaica store, I've noticed that Lubavitch has put out more than one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshulam View Post
Every year, I try to buy a new Haggadah in time to look through it before Pesach. The Rebbe's Haggadah brings down plenty non-L sources (because the Rebbe apparently learned non-Lubavitch seforim ). The Heichal Menachem Haggadah is great, but is decidedly Lubavitch.

I have the Bostoner Rebbe's Haggadah, the two Haggados that were published based upon the Divrei Yoel's comments, a Haggadah of compiled comments from the Ruzhiner dynasty, and the list goes on. I even have some non-Chassidic Haggados. Kol hamarbeh, harei ze meshubach.

Incidentally, the Divrei Yoel comments on the different nusach between the Bavli and Yerushalmi, regarding the 4 children. The Yerushalmi says "Tipesh" (Fool) instead of "Tam" (simple one). The Divrei Yoel comments (intentionally humorously), that the "air in Eretz Yisroel makes one wiser." And that it appears that one who is called a mere simpleton in Chu''l is therefore called an all-out fool in E''Y.

On the other side of the spectrum, the Divrei Yoel also points out the parallels between the Mitzriim who made sure that the Jews stood out in Mitzrayim, and the Nazis, y''s, who attached yellow stars to the Jews in the ghettos to ensure that they stood out to the rest of the Germans.
Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshulam View Post
Oh, the Chait Haggadah, which apparently is called the Katz Haggadah, is incredible.
I like this one too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahidelaws View Post
Chasidei Chabad use the Rebbe's haggodo, which is a very scholarly work, and I don't know if it's what you're looking for. Of course, now we have the much-extolled Gutnick edition haggodo.
Does the Rebbe's Haggodo go by any other name? How do I ask for it/recognize it in a seforim store?
Is the Gutnick Haggodo a translation of the Rebbe's Haggodo?
Does it deserve to be extolled (in your opinion)?
mvakeshet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #10
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvakeshet View Post
I figured that much. But from my trip to my local judaica store, I've noticed that Lubavitch has put out more than one...
As a rule dealing with L sources.
Unread 03-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
TasteAndSee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
As a rule dealing with L sources.
Sorry for interrupting, but what does this mean?
TasteAndSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #12
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Means in large part based on the Rebbe's Haggada and sichos.