Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Yiddishkeit > Noahide - Bnei Noach

Unread 12-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
thundrey

Judaism for non-Jews, and the afterlife...

Although we've never been a church-going family, my religious background has been ******ian. Eventually I got tired of trying to reconcile the idea of an omnipresent, omnipotent AND omnibenevolent God, with the idea of an eternal Hell. I understand that there are also the annihilationist and universalist schools of thought, but they seemed to be optimistic interpretations of the Bible that tried to reconcile the unreconcilable. And frankly, the fact that most ******ian denominations seemed to demand absolute faith in the unprovable, especially the divinity of J****, as a condition of salvation is not exactly a message of hope, nor is the idea that even if you achieve salvation, most of your loved ones are doomed for not having the same unwavering faith as you and you can still be at peace with God whilst he's roasting your family in everlasting Hell.
Anyway, so I started to read a bit more about Judaism. I previously believed that Judaism was pretty much ******ianity sans the New Testement, but it now appears that the concepts are completely different. Apparently, not only is the idea of everlasting Hell not present in Judaism, but for non-Jews, all you need to do to avoid serious punishment is follow the 7 laws of Noah (don't murder, steal, commit adultery, or blasphemy etc. In other words, don't be a complete knobber, which shouldn't be that hard). It almost seems like its too good to be true. It's like the God I would want to worship, rather than a God I would worship insincerely out of fear of the sheer and utter awfulness of what he will do to me when I die. It might come accross like I'm 'shopping around' for a religion, but on the face of it, it looks like one I could begin to understand, and even leaves room for the scepticism I will almost certainly have all my life and doesn't demand that I believe in something unconditionally even though I have no proof. ******ianity seems impossible to really get into by comparison.
Anyway, that's more or less my initial impression of Judaism. Am I on the right lines?
thundrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
WE Vaughn

Welcome Thundrey
Here's a link http://www.noahide.org/ that might help you along your way.
Sincerely,
Walter
WE Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

See also www.asknoah.org. Much success on your journey!
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
thundrey

Thanks for the links guys. Like I said before, I'll probably always remain an agnostic and a sceptic to a certain extent (I can't help it, so I hope if there is a God, he will understand), but I am nevertheless curious about this 'noahism' that I've only recently heard about.
How come this board censors words relating to a certain religious figure with the initials 'JC' BTW? Is his name really considered a bad word, or was it just done for a laugh?
thundrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

It's done because this is a Jewish board, and he is not an appropriate topic.

!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
WE Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrey View Post
How come this board censors words relating to a certain religious figure with the initials 'JC' BTW? Is his name really considered a bad word, or was it just done for a laugh?
The Torah teaches us from the begining that G-d is one and there is no other with or besides Him. The Jewish people are reminded this throughout the Torah.

"Lo yeyeh le-ach elohim acherim al panai! which is literally. No gods to be in my face!

Thundrey, this is very important in Judaism.
X-ianity teaches Jxxxx is ___.
This is a complete and utter abomination. Just as we show respect and fear for G-d's name by putting a dash between "G-d" or "L-rd"...with the same fear and respect for Hashem we don't speak or write the name of Jxxxx who x-tians believe to be____.
Hope this helps.
Walter

Last edited by WE Vaughn; 12-17-2008 at 08:29 AM.
WE Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
patientsun

I couldn't have said it any better.
Great links and good luck to the OP with the journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE Vaughn View Post
The Torah teaches us from the begining that G-d is one and there is no other with or besides Him. The Jewish people are reminded this throughout the Torah.

"Lo yeyeh le-ach elohim acherim al panai! which is literally. No gods to be in my face!

patientsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2009, 03:22 AM   #8
ezel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE Vaughn View Post

X-ianity teaches Jxxxx is ___.
This is a complete and utter abomination. Just as we show respect and fear for G-d's name by putting a dash between "G-d" or "L-rd"...with the same fear and respect for Hashem we don't speak or write the name of Jxxxx who x-tians believe to be____.
Hope this helps.
Walter
In the Tanakh (Isaiah 7:14) Immanuel (G-d with us) is mentioned. This seems to be a reference to the Mashiach, for what other person could bear such a name? If the interpretation is correct, what are the other possible names for this person? Furthermore, if such a person can exist, according to the Tanakh, does recognition of him constitue idolatry or blasphemy?

I was raised a ******ian, but have found interest in the Hebraic people. At this point all I can hope to be is a Noahide though. However, I have read that Jewish people call ******ians idol-worshipers, but I do not understand those claims. Pragmatically idol worship would be banned because it would lead people away from G-d, correct? If J**** was perfect in the eyes of G-d, how could He lead people away from G-d? At least, the Tanakh doesn't seem to teach a different form of holiness than that of J****. Someone please help me on these topics.
ezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2009, 03:34 AM   #9
Smirnoff
Super Moderator

Ezel,

For the simple reason that we stay away from these types of discussions on this forum, you'll have to find the answers to your questions elsewhere. Try www.jewsforjudaism.org.

Much success,
Smirnoff
Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #10
ezel

Am I living in accordance with the Noahide laws 1) if I follow all of them and 2) if I believe that the Mashiach has been with us and will return? I see no law prohibiting such belief. As I said, some people have called the aforementioned point number two idolatry, but I don't know why.

How does that not fit into this segment of the forum? (if you don't mind me asking.) I didn't see the topic addressed for a non-jew at jewsforjudaism.org. Additionally, I am left with many questions after reading the articles from the website and would love to be able to contact the author. Is he available on a forum or via email or letter? Perhaps I have an equal ability to answer that question as you (but hopefully you're more able).
ezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezel View Post
Am I living in accordance with the Noahide laws 1) if I follow all of them
Yes, if your reason for doing so is because G-d commanded Moses at Mt. Sinai regarding these seven laws.
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Am I living in accordance with the Noahide laws 2) if I believe that the Mashiach has been with us and will return?
You would need to ask a qualified Rabbi. But just to give my possible thoughts, it seems that if you want to believe this, it's your choice, and it probably doesn't interfere with your living according to the Noachide laws.

When the true Moshiach comes, then everyone will recognize and acknowledge his identity.
Unread 01-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Quote:
As I said, some people have called the aforementioned point number two idolatry, but I don't know why.
Don't know why either.

May the Almighty bless you with all that you need.

Last edited by emes m'eretz; 01-01-2009 at 11:28 AM.