Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Yiddishkeit > Noahide - Bnei Noach

Unread 05-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Iubelo

Hello from Italy

Hello,I am an Italian man born from a Jewish father and a non jewish mother;I would like to know if converting to Judaism is really that hard,as many people say.I heard that orthodox Jews aren't really keen on converts,and that they aren't always friendly even if you already converted....the point is that my father is Jewish from birth(and a Levi too) and we lost several relatives in the Shoah,so I wonder if it would be easier for someone like me to convert,than for someone with no Jewish heritage.
And,btw,in case I converted,would I be called ben Menassè(that's his name),or ben Avraham,like all the converts?
Thanks for the answers.
Iubelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

hi Bambino!

Jews, in general, are kind with converts

Conversion could be "harder" in some countries compared to others.In some countries the do not do conversions

name , would be ben Avraham
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Iubelo

Thanks for the reply;in Italy they do conversions,but it is really a pity to not only lose the levite status,but also the patronimic....
Unread 05-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

I understand what you say, but if you think a little about it, you really don't lose anything
Unread 05-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Iubelo

I lose the link with all my ancestors;but,if I succeed in converting,I would start off as a newborn baby in the nation of Israel;so I would be closer to them,I guess.Is this what you meen?
Unread 05-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

I mean, that you are not Jewish today, you do not have the "Jewish link", therefore you do not lose it, because you do not have it

And the secular links remain intact
Unread 05-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
Iubelo

I see.And what is the Jewish attitude towards people with a Jewish father who want to "come back"?Are they encouraged or not?I guess it would be logical to try to gain these people to Judaism,instead of losing them forever,considering that they still have some sense of belonging.Why not make it easier for them to reverse what their fathers did and give them a chance to "revert"?But this is just my personal opinion anyway,and I am not a posek,LOL!Btw,this attitude would reduce the declining of the Jewish population,which is happening all over the world,unfortunately.
Unread 05-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

There is not any special attitude towards anybody, there is not any kind of encouragement to become Jewish

Think about, it would be crazy

Had many Jews have the opportunity to chose,maybe they would prefer not to be Jewish!

A non Jew can serve G'd perfectly , and be connected to G-d,fulfilling only 7 Mitzvos , and if a Jew wants really to connect to G'd has to fulfill 613 Mitzvos and , he also get many punisments from trangressing them
Unread 05-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Quote:
name , would be ben Avraham
Not neccesarily. In terms of legal documents (such as a ketubah) its a bit more complicated to write the name a certain way, but I know converts who use a Jewish relative's name when called to the Torah. Ask the Rabbi that you would go to with halachic questions, or better yet ask a Rav about this one.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

for marriage and divorce the name is ben Avraham Avinu

this is the halachik name, they do not have to call him "Avinu" for an Alya in the Torah, but I never heard about using an different one, for an Alya
Unread 05-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Like I said... I've seen different, ask a Rav.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #12
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

you are right
the Mechaber says ben Avraham should be the name,but
I see that there are opinions that they hold,that they can chose completely their names
Unread 05-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #13
Iubelo

In my case it wouldn't be a choice,by the way,my father's Jewish name is Menasse ben Sion ha Levi.And this name is the one written in the Jewish community's papers;so,if it is clear that I am his son,wouldn't it be possible to be called ben Menasse,without ha Levi,of course?
Unread 05-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

for marriage or get it has to be clear in the name that is like a new child born,

to be called to the TORAH , the reason why ppl are called by name is only to avoid problems (that if the Gabbai makes a sign, someone else might think that they called him)IOW, the calling of the person's name does not change anything , In some places they do not call ppl by name, they call them by a cards ("shlishi" chamishi"), Some places argue that it is already a Minhag to call by name, and is not good to change it , but again, the name does not change anything in the Alya

Iubelo, here we are just sharing ideas, In order to get the correct answer, this is something to you have to speak with an Orthodox knowleadgeable Rabbi