Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > The World of Lubavitch > Shlichus

Unread 11-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
CanadianJew

Post Being both a Shliach and Business Man

Do you think it's possible and/or practicle to be both a successful full-time Shliach, as well as a full-time (perhaps 9-5? non-teaching) business man???

And does anyone know if it has been done? If yes, were they successful in their shlichus? I mean, during the summer, I heard of a shliach (Tenenbaum??) in Napa Valley, California who is both a Shliach and a wine maker...

Myself, I don't see why it can't be done. Yes, I understand it will be a lot of work! But, I think there are many Shluchim out there, that are struggling financially; and having a job on the side (and i stress 'on the side' bc you are working to support your shlichus, not the other way around), will only be a positive thing. And besides, not every shliach, has fund-raising born into them. Many find it extremely difficult to stay afloat by asking others for financial support.

Also, does anyone know if the Rebbe spoke about this topic? And if he did, what did he say (sources, etc...)?

Thank You!
CanadianJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

I believe that many people do this and simply don't call themselves "Shluchim" in the official sense. Prior to Chabad on Campus, for example, I know of a few professors in different cities who functioned as quasi-shluchim... they would invite students for Shabbos, sometimes run services, and try to do events for the holidays. Each one worked in his own way, but the same can be said of a shliach.

The only thing is, there are some limitations to this plan. You cannot, for example, run a school and a business at the same time. You also cannot hold down a job and do all the programming that a busy Chabad house does. There just isn't time for both at a certain point, and you need to cultivate fundraising along the way if you want to someday be able to make shlichus a full time endeveor.

But with all of that said. I'm sure someone will prove me wrong on those points too. And good for them.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

I heard that in the early years, some shluchim would work as well; I don't know if this was with the Rebbe's approval, or how widespread it was.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
ktonton
Silver Member

given that in many places we have too many shluchim I think that this is actually the next logical step in shlichus.

Now that we have the heads of these communities out there, I think that it would be very good to start stocking these shlichut communities with extra "helping hands" who can run shiurim, provide extra regulars for minyanim, provide services such as a baal koreh, a part time sofer, shochet, tutor people in chevrusas, etc.

and I think more important than anything else, just get out in these communities and make a huge kiddush hashem by looking for any and every excuse to do the right, honest thing, and be generaly nice to people. There is a great deal of fear out in america regarding the frum world and the best way to fight that is simply for chabad to be visible running everyday lives. Parents should think "hey, if I send my kid to a chabad BT yeshiva, he could end up like this guy, and that wouldn't be a bad thing".

not to mention it would provide a consumer base for convincing local supermarkets to carry cholov yisroel products or kosher meat.
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
noahidelaws

You contradict yourself; first you say that there are too many, and then you say that there aren't enough.
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
ktonton
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahidelaws View Post
You contradict yourself; first you say that there are too many, and then you say that there aren't enough.
We have too many running chabad houses and setting themselves up as the face of chabad.

On the other hand having one who is the "rav" and that is his life and parnassa, and the rest who simply run his programs and activities while working for a living (and hence also helping subsidize the chabadhouse its self, both through direct donations as well as through bringing people in and through children for the chabad school etc.)
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
noahidelaws

Running programs is also full-time work, which plenty of shluchim are hired by another shliach to do. And I object to the implication that a Rav or shliach does not "work for a living".
Unread 11-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

http://www.chabad.org/therebbe/artic...Businesses.htm
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

CN, that letter is well cited. But I don't think the Rebbe means to discourage someone from working part time in a Chabad house.

Example: I was asked, and unfortunately had to decline, to run an after school program for teenagers at one of the Chabad houses near my home. I would consider that activity "shlichus" and would hope that everyone involved (me, the teenagers and the Chabad house) would have benefited.

I don't think the Rebbe would have had a problem (v'aderaba, this is a great "yissachar" activity) if I had taken on the project. There's nothing wrong with volunteering or working part time at a Chabad house. The question is whether to call someone like that a "shliach."
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahTovChelkeinu View Post
CN, that letter is well cited. But I don't think the Rebbe means to discourage someone from working part time in a Chabad house.."
this was not the original question of OP

Quote:
Example: I was asked, and unfortunately had to decline, to run an after school program for teenagers at one of the Chabad houses near my home. I would consider that activity "shlichus" and would hope that everyone involved (me, the teenagers and the Chabad house) would have benefited.."
to put tefillin to any jew is also a "shlichus"

Quote:
I don't think the Rebbe would have had a problem (v'aderaba, this is a great "yissachar" activity) if I had taken on the project. There's nothing wrong with volunteering or working part time at a Chabad house. The question is whether to call someone like that a "shliach."
agree, even many non yet frumm ppl work or volunteer to many chabad houses
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
noahidelaws

Thanks for the link, CN. Ein lanu ella divrei Ben Amram.
Unread 12-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #12
ssrs94

Exclamation Big question

I have a dif. question:
If a shliach (or a shlucha for that matter) highers other "helper" shluchim to do all their programs for them, then they arent the real shluchim, the helpers are.
so shud that b done or not?
I'm asking this question b/c im slighty disturbed b/c i just came back from a chabad house where they practically stopped doing anything-except for a growing preschool (and all it entails), a shul (thats beginning to go down the drain after 3 yrs.) and inviting people for shabbos every week- and they stopped because the shliach is embarrassed to fundraise. Okay, i understad it might not b the most pleasant thing in the world but do u think that the functions listed above is enough for a chabad house to b doing- so much so that they shouldnt have a second job???? (and the job wud b to support the chabad-house, although, it may or may not help the continuity of this chabad house)
Another thing:
What else can this chabad house do besides for what they do, b/c if s/o wud call them up and sat=y can u..... they wud definately do it but not on their own. The problem with this is probably that no onw wants to hurt their pride b/c after all, hey are a totally chassidshe (unlike some other shluchim), sweet couple that their community loves.
ssrs94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
ssrs94

Lightbulb

This post was removed by the author for its inaccuracy

Last edited by ssrs94; 12-12-2010 at 11:43 AM.
ssrs94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs94 View Post
Just a note:

The rebbe mentions that we shudnt do this cuz we need more manpower to do shlichus. At the time, there were many less shluchim, now there are many more (so much so that we aew "doubling up" shluchim) so we do have much more manpower- so that specific point does not seem 2 b an issue nemore.
I love the easy way you conclude that what the Rebbe says in this letter doesn't apply anymore
what else?
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
ssrs94

Quote:
Originally Posted by chossidnistar View Post
I love the easy way you conclude that what the Rebbe says in this letter doesn't apply anymore
what else?
that why i said it seems,-- so i wasnt negating what the rebbe said ch"v, only pointing out that there are many more shluchim doing jobs in the world. technically, mine cud b a pointless post