Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Chassidus > The Rebbe’s Talks & Writings > Discussion on Sichos of 5751-5752

Unread 03-18-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
wanthetruth
Executive Member

Smile Eztzem and Gilluy

can people properly explain those terms?
Unread 03-18-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
Hiskashrus
Diamond Member

Consult your local Mashpia.

Etzem and giluy are relative terms, for instance, the Rebbe mentions two (three) levels of "Etzem" in ateh tetzaveh. Giluy is usually referred to as something which is kodmei ha'heeder of its source (Usually) IOW, something which is not needed for the source's existence.

Last edited by Hiskashrus; 03-18-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Hiskashrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
wanthetruth
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiskashrus
Consult your local Mashpia.
come on...
I want to start a serious disccusion about certain concepts there!
Unread 03-18-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
Hiskashrus
Diamond Member

look above.
Unread 03-18-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
wanthetruth
Executive Member

huh?!
Unread 03-21-2006, 12:42 AM   #6
The Eighth King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanthetruth
can people properly explain those terms?
I am not sure of the context in which you find these terms (as you cite no source). I assume, however, that you are referring to the concept of "Giluy HaHe'elem" in contradistinction to the concept of "Etzem."

A basic explanation (which I have used elsewhere on this site) renders as follows: When a teacher explains a concept to a student there are two things that are given over. There are the revealed explanations that the student recieves, and then there is the essence of the concept which is given over in a concealed manner.

The revealed explanations are not the essence of the concept or intellect of the teacher whatsoever. They are only a manifestation and revelation of the intellect of the teacher. While it is true that through the revealed explanations the student can grasp their depth and percieve the essence and core of the concept, nonetheless, the revealed explanations themselves are only a "ray" of the essence of the concept which is itself intangible and unchanging.

For example, in second grade you (possibly) learned the concept of "addition". Your teacher presented you with explanations and examples of the concept of "addition". These examples are not the essence or core of the concept addition, which itself is an intangible heyulie. Rather, they are only manifestations of the concept of addition, i.e. only a "giluy" of the concept but not the "etzem" of the concept.

However, at the same time your teacher was giving over the revealed explanations and examples (the giluyim), he was also giving over the intangible essence and depth of the concept in a concealed manner. This is why after studying the revealed examples and explanations (and doing your homework) you were afterwards able to grasp the intangible essential depth of the concept of addition itself.

You are now capable of adding any two numbers together, even numbers that were not explicitly given to you by your second grade teacher. Because you have grasped the intangible essential hiyulie for the concept of addition, you can now bring forth all sorts of manifestations and revelations of the concept.

[Now, although the above is only a single example or manifestation (i.e. only a giluy) of the concept of "etzem" vs "giluy," included with it in a concealed manner is the intangible depth of the concept itself (i.e. the etzem). When you grasp it you will be able to differenciate between these two concepts in any of their manifestations. ]
The Eighth King is offline   Reply With Quote