Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > General

Unread 02-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
jamesch230

is it ok for a non jewish man to talk to a jewish women/girl

As long as it is respectful is it ok to have a conversation and or have a friendship as long as the conversation is perfectly respectful and I respect their limits i.e. keep the conversation respectful and dont get to close in anyway my reason for asking is I would love to know more about them and their lives and understand them as people, but Im but off by the fact that there is a culture of gender segregation,
Unless it was in a shop would it be ok if I saw a Jewish girl a women on the street at a book shop I said sorry for disturbing you but would you mind if I asked you something, ask the question etc
I certainly dont want to marry any as I know it is unlikely to happen as they will want to marry someone Jewish and I fully respect that
Im sorry if this a ridiculous question it is something I have always wanted to know
jamesch230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
danzinger
Executive Member

There is nothing wrong with a man speaking to a Jewish man or a woman speaking to a Jewish woman. A man will be able to answer your questions, there is no need to make a point of speaking to women in particular. Experience has shown that relationships, even platonic, between non-Jewish men and Jewish women (or vice versa), are not usually fruitful.
Unread 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

If you simply want to understand the lifestyle of Jewish women, you could simply ask an Orthodox Jewish couple to host you sometime for a meal. Perhaps a local Chabad rabbi would be willing to (although their wives' lifestyle is often atypical).
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote