Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > General > Modesty - Tznius

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 06-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
jamesch230

is touching the opposite gender forbidden as it could be taken the wrong way

i was wondering is one of the reasons for shomer negiah, the fact that when you touch that person they could take it outside the context it was intended

for example a boy puts her arm round a girl jsut to be friendly and say sopmething like are you ok or look afteryourself, but she takes it as a come on or invading her space

just something i have always wondered
jamesch230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
danzinger
Executive Member

See Leviticus 18:19
Unread 07-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesch230 View Post
i was wondering is one of the reasons for shomer negiah, the fact that when you touch that person they could take it outside the context it was intended

for example a boy puts her arm round a girl jsut to be friendly and say sopmething like are you ok or look afteryourself, but she takes it as a come on or invading her space

just something i have always wondered
You can also read the following article from Chabad.org
Unread 07-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
dys
Executive Member

Very nice article for the most part; except for the comments at the end which I already wrote to Chabad.org must be taken out as they are counterproductive to the endeavor of the article and against Torah.
Secondly, concerning the mention about hairdressers being permitted, I asked Rabbi Shusterman in L.A. about it to which he replied that "even though a doctor,hairdresser,manicurist or tailor - in technical Halacha one would be allowed to to go as the context of the contact is professional, nevertheless doesn't mean that you should go to them".
Especially nowadays when you can so readily find these professionals of the same gender. The Rebbe said that women can more often find now even lady taxi drivers (by request) when returning home late from various events to prevent potential problems of yichud etc...
dys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dys View Post
Very nice article for the most part; except for the comments at the end which I already wrote to Chabad.org must be taken out as they are counterproductive to the endeavor of the article and against Torah.
Right. Many of the comments have a very bad taste.

Quote:
Secondly, concerning the mention about hairdressers being permitted, I asked Rabbi Shusterman in L.A. about it to which he replied that "even though a doctor,hairdresser,manicurist or tailor - in technical Halacha one would be allowed to to go as the context of the contact is professional, nevertheless doesn't mean that you should go to them".
Our local Rov said the same. (But don't forget that Chabad.org is not aimed for Lubavitcher nor for non-Lubavitcher who have reached a higher spiritual level.)
Unread 07-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
dys
Executive Member

That's irrelevant! They have to remove it ASAP. It's already been a few years now that Chabad Rabbonim in Israel told a number of well known Chabad sites that they must discontinue the comments forum (or at least censor it), because the comments became a vulgar and obscene arena of selfhating lowlives spitting out their false slander and gossip.
Unread 07-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
That's irrelevant! They have to remove it ASAP. It's already been a few years now that Chabad Rabbonim in Israel told a number of well known Chabad sites that they must discontinue the comments forum (or at least censor it), because the comments became a vulgar and obscene arena of selfhating lowlives spitting out their false slander and gossip.
We all agree that the comments forum is a great problem. The Chabad leadership in EY is quite different. But in America, they don't really care (or at least, they care less than in EY where the Chabad websites are more examplary than in the US).
Unread 07-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
dys
Executive Member

Nu. So you know the story - when a chasid of the Tzemach Tzedek wanted to move to Eretz Yisrael, the Tzemach Tzedek told him "mach da Eretz Yisroel". "Make here Eretz Yisroel.Eretz Yisroel is holy. Our job is to elevate the other lands to be as holy.
I tell and implement this to my daughters all the time. Whether it's the standard of tznius,kashrus,not exposing kids to the internet,no goyeshe or irreligious magazines/newspapers in the house, not going to the goyishe library etc... you name it - the kfar Chabad magazine will make you aware of all the proper spirituall levels a basic lubavitcher must be at.
Rebbetzin Shochet herself was so to speak an extremely tznius/chassidishe women in L.A. obm and was a big promoter of this proper approach- as was told over in the neshe chabad magazine I think in Adar 2010 right after she passed away.
Unread 07-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
Nu. So you know the story - when a chasid of the Tzemach Tzedek wanted to move to Eretz Yisrael, the Tzemach Tzedek told him "mach da Eretz Yisroel". "Make here Eretz Yisroel.Eretz Yisroel is holy. Our job is to elevate the other lands to be as holy.
I tell and implement this to my daughters all the time. Whether it's the standard of tznius,kashrus,not exposing kids to the internet,no goyeshe or irreligious magazines/newspapers in the house, not going to the goyishe library etc... you name it - the kfar Chabad magazine will make you aware of all the proper spirituall levels a basic lubavitcher must be at.
Rebbetzin Shochet herself was so to speak an extremely tznius/chassidishe women in L.A. obm and was a big promoter of this proper approach- as was told over in the neshe chabad magazine I think in Adar 2010 right after she passed away.
Of course, I, 100%, agree with you, and these things you quoted, I also try to implement them whenever possible to people around me. But there is a sad reality in the Chabad of nowadays, and I have expressed my opinion on that matter two or three times already on this forum in other threads, as for instance about the modernity path embraced by many among us which is endangering the very fondations bult by our holy Rebbeim, and other things like that, so I don't want to repeate myself once again.
Unread 07-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
dys
Executive Member

Maybe you should; because some people have time to read only one forum. Like me; I'm only on this one.
Unread 07-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
Maybe you should; because some people have time to read only one forum. Like me; I'm only on this one.
More recently here and here.

And I am also on the opinion that while many Shluchim are doing great work, there are many other among them who are turning Chabad into some kind of a "Modern Orthodox" movement which permits some shameful thing sto happen in their midst. I spent two years in different Basei Chabad to help the local shluchim and I was deeply sorry for what I witnessed in some of them. Of course, it's not something easy to be in Shlichus all the year surrendered by dozen, sometimes hundred of secular and non-religious Jews, and that's why we should be a little indulgent, but it's not a reason for Lubavitcher to fall on the public's level.

There is already a thread on the subject here.

Ahhhhhh. We miss the Rebbe!