Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Comments and Feedback

Unread 06-03-2004, 01:40 PM   #1
BaisHamikdashBa
Gold Member

does chabad (talk) scare poeple

are poeple afraid to come to chabad talk when they hear chabad?
how about making this site more like a frum forum (like you know what....) with a thread including all chabad issues!!

I got my iPod! (B"h)
BaisHamikdashBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2004, 08:27 PM   #2
CyberLub
Super Moderator

It could be a good idea, anybody against?

Something like JewishTalk.com?
CyberLub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2004, 08:38 PM   #3
BaisHamikdashBa
Gold Member

maybe when the new site is launched!

I got my iPod! (B"h)
Unread 06-06-2004, 09:01 PM   #4
Maskil
Silver Member

Of course I'm against it! Isn't the whole mission of this site to primarily discuss Chabad issues? Sure there are other things discussed, but that doesn't change the main focus.

If you rename it JewishTalk, you will

1) kill the whole original purpose of the site.

2) only be accused with that famous bait-and-switch accusation. i.e. that we want to trick people into thinking we're just jewish talk, when we want to "convert" them.

The site is suffering enough as it is with the heavy-handed moderating. A sure way to nail that coffin shut would be to rename it.
Unread 06-06-2004, 09:12 PM   #5
BaisHamikdashBa
Gold Member

ye but in the mean time we have lots and lots of people going to all these new judaisim and frum forums and in the mean time they hear all this nonesense

Quote:
1) kill the whole original purpose of the site.
and we can/should have a category for all these lubavitch issues

Quote:
2) only be accused with that famous bait-and-switch accusation. i.e. that we want to trick people into thinking we're just jewish talk, when we want to "convert" them.
it wont be a tick it really will be an all purpose forum!!!

besides it will be advice based on a chassidic perspective rather than musar...

I got my iPod! (B"h)

Last edited by BaisHamikdashBa; 06-06-2004 at 09:18 PM.
Unread 06-06-2004, 09:26 PM   #6
iamachassid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Maskil

The site is suffering enough as it is with the heavy-handed moderating.
Heavy handed? Like leaving someone's name on board for a week?
Unread 06-06-2004, 10:11 PM   #7
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Maskil
The site is suffering enough as it is with the heavy-handed moderating.
It seems that when the moderating is done to others we're all happy. When we get hit with it personally it's terrible.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2004, 10:15 PM   #8
roza
Silver Member

you just open another site jewishtalk but keep this one. everyone will be happy.
most discussions here are chabad centered.
Unread 06-06-2004, 11:02 PM   #9
BaisHamikdashBa
Gold Member

its like saying every prat in this site should be a different web site!! (not exactly but..)

what do you have against it being together?

im sure it easier for everyone and the moderator to have it all in one

it wont be a new forum like the new ones out there

and to make every one happy we can have a special url to go straight to the chabad issues!!!

I got my iPod! (B"h)
Unread 06-06-2004, 11:45 PM   #10
roza
Silver Member

Quote:
and to make every one happy we can have a special url to go straight to the chabad issues!!!
easier to direct jewishtalk.com to this url :

http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/foru...?s=&forumid=15

(discuss judaism)
Unread 06-06-2004, 11:49 PM   #11
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

ChabadTalk is for the Chabad community, who desperately needs something like this.

Suggest that AskMoses set up a board or something, but ChabadTalk is still needed in its present incarnation.
hishtatchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2004, 11:54 PM   #12
LION
Diamond Member

Since I think Maskil has some good points... Maybe what you can do is that in this 'new' name site you have a section which is still called ChabadTalk for all the Chabad issues, and sections like discussing Judasim,general etc. would be part of the "new name" section.

Before jumping, I am myself still thinking if this is a good idea... [and I am getting to tired to think ]
Unread 06-07-2004, 10:00 AM   #13
daas
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hishtatchus

Suggest that AskMoses set up a board or something, but ChabadTalk is still needed in its present incarnation.
I think some people are suggesting that it be changed from a plain gilgul to an ibur .
daas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2004, 04:28 PM   #14
BaisHamikdashBa
Gold Member

hishtatchus, and what is the problem if we have both.

roza, that is baiscly like making a new site
if it would be done "your way" we have to change all the logos and make it that that is/looks like the "main site" of jewishtalk and there will be a link to chabad talk sec. for chabadniks with a dif. url

I got my iPod! (B"h)
Unread 06-07-2004, 05:59 PM   #15
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

There's no problem to have both, but making ChabadTalk secondary to JewishTalk (or whatever) is not a good idea. In addition, the mods seem to be overworked on this alone; adding a new section (with different rules etc.) may not be good for either site.
hishtatchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2004, 06:25 PM   #16
iamachassid
Diamond Member

Correction: The mods seem to have a hard enough time getting around to working on this site alone
Unread 06-08-2004, 12:51 AM   #17
BaisHamikdashBa
Gold Member

add more mods think of it as mailim bakodesh! why cant it be secondary? you cant be chabad and not jewish, jewish comes first besides it wont be secondary in jewish talk it will have a link to chabad talk at the same time chabad talk will stay the same

I got my iPod! (B"h)
Unread 06-08-2004, 02:47 AM   #18
shmush
Executive Member

BaisHamikdashBa - No offence but you're not really in the position to make so many criticisms and demands. You've been posting for what? A week? And nothing but criticims, demands and a few oddball questions.

First, read the site, spend some time here, and you will realise the absurdity of your "logic".

Yes, being jewish comes before being Lubavitch, and yes there may be the need for a "jewishtalk" board, however, this site was established for the Chabad community. Does that mean that non-lubavitchers can't come here? Of course not, but the content of the site is geared towards lubavitchers and the discussions are mostly chabad-centric.

If you want to, by all means, start your own "jewishtalk" website.
shmush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2004, 10:40 AM   #19
walter

As an outsider I think it important to keep it the way it is. People know what to expect when you say the word "Chabad"! For instance, I know that anything I write will be checked for it'sappropriateness. I expect this from Chabad... this is a good thing. Others may not be so understanding if you go by another name.
Thank you
Unread 06-08-2004, 11:34 AM   #20
Maskil
Silver Member

Thank you shmush!
Unread 06-08-2004, 09:57 PM   #21
Klotzkashe

keep chabadtalk the way it is! i've been a member for over a year and i love the opportunity to look up things that itnerest me and find out whats chabad's/the rebbe's stance on alot of issues. bringing in people who would be scared or put off by CHABAD in the url would only ruin the fantastic atmosphere that is created by the lubavitchers and friends of lubavitch who post here.

look, another member chabadfriend wasn't put off and he was welcomed by other members. that's the type of people we need! askmoses is for those pple who have questions about chabad...refer them there...

not every chabad website has to be 'outthere' for mivtozyim
Unread 06-09-2004, 04:21 PM   #22
BaisHamikdashBa
Gold Member

Quote:
BaisHamikdashBa - No offence but you're not really in the position to make so many criticisms and demands.
where was the demand if i may know? it was a sug. and where was the critisim?

Quote:
You've been posting for what? A week? And nothing but criticims, demands and a few oddball questions.
and only you would know if i was browsing this site for a year and just made my screen name a week ago, right! and only would know if i had or have another screen name!

i thought in chabad we say ask question and dont call any question stupid!! i believ i only asked 2 questions and one was from my teacher (and it seems that you followed it up, well if you did lion who is trying to oris answering it says that its a sicha evn though i dont understand it yet are you telling me that the rebbes sicha is and oddball question?) and the other question is a question that happens in a day to day yehsiva life! alot of our dear chabad brothers get turned off when they cant ask questions or when there friends/teachers tell the its stupid while the really want to know! one honest not oddball question DO YOU THINK YOU REPRESENT THE REBBE AND AT THE SAME TIME PUT DOWN POEPLE FOR ASKING QUESTIONS? i dont think a single shliach in their right mind ever told someone in their shul that they askes a stupid question. (i know poeple who go to shluchim and say i have a stupid question an you know what the first thing that comes out of the shliachs mouth? not takeh your righjt its a stupid question maybe a chossid like you would say that but the shluchim i know stop them right there and say no question is stupid!!)

Quote:
First, read the site, spend some time here, and you will realise the absurdity of your "logic".
i cant answer that i guess ill have to read the site for another year!!

Quote:
Yes, being jewish comes before being Lubavitch, and yes there may be the need for a "jewishtalk" board, however, this site was established for the Chabad community. Does that mean that non-lubavitchers can't come here? Of course not, but the content of the site is geared towards lubavitchers and the discussions are mostly chabad-centric.
from what i see from reading this site that it was made to counter frum teen now to counter frum teen in the fullest extent would be to make a jewish talk with it and then you wouldnt only be telling lubavitcher that frum teen lies but also non lubavitchers

Quote:
i do! thats why i asked the moderators to help!!!
(now that i have your permission i can start thanks)

btw no offense

I got my iPod! (B"h)

Last edited by BaisHamikdashBa; 06-09-2004 at 04:38 PM.
Unread 06-09-2004, 04:30 PM   #23
BaisHamikdashBa
Gold Member

walter, poeple know but some dont and some think the opposite so there fore it can say lubavitch on it for those who care but for those who are against wont see it right a way!!

Klotzkashe,
Quote:
keep chabadtalk the way it is! i've been a member for over a year and i love the opportunity to look up things that itnerest me and find out whats chabad's/the rebbe's stance on alot of issues. bringing in people who would be scared or put off by CHABAD in the url would only ruin the fantastic atmosphere that is created by the lubavitchers and friends of lubavitch who post here.
you will still have that oppurtunity!! why would it ruin it? they wont be answering your questions they wouldb be seeking answers!

Quote:
look, another member chabadfriend wasn't put off and he was welcomed by other members. that's the type of people we need! askmoses is for those pple who have questions about chabad...refer them there...
i dont get the last line jewish talk wouldnt be for poeple who have questions on chabad!! we have pios frayd for that or the rest of this site it would be for more of halachik problems day to day things... that poeple need to dissccus

Quote:
not every chabad website has to be 'outthere' for mivtozyim
your right we do need websites for our selves but if for the same price we can do both why not? and thats why i asked if it would be the same "price" or not!! and even if its not it could still be worth it if its only a little more "expensive"

I got my iPod! (B"h)
Unread 06-09-2004, 04:46 PM   #24
shmush
Executive Member

First of all, I highly doubt I am the only one who found that post (and most of your others) almost impossible to read. Punctuation was invented for a reason. Try it - it may even give you some credibility.

Secondly, you replied,

Quote:
i do! thats why i asked the moderators to help!!!
in reponse to my suggestion:

Quote:
No, you dont want to start your own jewishtalk site. You want the moderators to do it for you. Why should they? They chose to establish and moderate a site for chabad for a reason. Perhaps you think that the moderators sit somewhere behind a screen all day waiting for you to come up with new ideas of how to increase their workload? Well, I have news for you, they have lives too! And jobs. They moderate and run this site on the side. Not as a primary occupation. So, i'll stick by my original comment that if you want to, feel free to open your own jewishtalk website.

Last edited by shmush; 06-09-2004 at 09:58 PM.
shmush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2004, 09:02 PM   #25
BaisHamikdashBa
Gold Member

merry go arounds are fun for 3 year olds!!!

Quote:
No, you dont want to start your own jewishtalk site. You want the moderators to do it for you. Why should they? They chose to establish and moderate a site for chabad for a reason. Perhaps you think that the moderators sit somewhere behind a screen all day waiting for you to come up with new ideas of how to increase their workload? Well, I have news for you, they have lives too! And jobs. They moderate and run this site on the site. Not as a primary occupation. So, i'll stick by my original comment that if you want to, feel free to open your own jewishtalk website.
Why should they? thats none of your business the question on this forum was if you think it needed, worth it,...... not if you think its going to be an overload for the mods.

if you have a problem with the idea say it! and don't tell me about an overload for the mods since that their problem not your the question was if you have a problem

btw remember

cyber lub said:

Quote:
It could be a good idea, anybody against?

Something like JewishTalk.com?
he wasn't worried about an overload yet

oh and about the punctuation's

a. usually on the internet most people dont use them....

b. its my problem that some yeshivos in lubavitch dont teach it!!!
you seem to be very smart (zai nisht nispoel) maybe you could convince my principal to teach us

im not so smart so i didnt understand why a question w/o punc. is and odd ball question

I got my iPod! (B"h)