Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Yiddishkeit

Unread 03-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Toviah

Contact with the departed

I know that the Torah probits going to a psychic or a seance. But why? What is specifically wrong with doing that?

I've always wanted to know for certain is that even if someone you love passes away, that eventually our souls will be together for eternity in a spiritual or energetic form. *If life after life exists, then death is not the end and we do not have to be overly sad about the loss of a loved one.

I'm sorry there is a prohibition about asking asking a psychic to contact a dead soul or attending a seance where spirit communication is undertaken. *There would be such comfort in that that i wonder why Hashem would not allow us to have this special joy...
Toviah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Intrigued

Post Bittul Or Ego and Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toviah View Post
I know that the Torah probits going to a psychic or a seance. But why? What is specifically wrong with doing that?

I've always wanted to know for certain is that even if someone you love passes away, that eventually our souls will be together for eternity in a spiritual or energetic form. *If life after life exists, then death is not the end and we do not have to be overly sad about the loss of a loved one.

I'm sorry there is a prohibition about asking asking a psychic to contact a dead soul or attending a seance where spirit communication is undertaken. *There would be such comfort in that that i wonder why Hashem would not allow us to have this special joy...
I hope you won't mind if I offer a little insight from the perspective of an outsider who doesn't know you. Over a few years I have seen your posts on this forum and you are clearly undergoing some sort of awakening and yearning for higher things, kol hakavod ("good for you!").

The teachings of Chassidus are very broad, and they even provide the answer to your question. But the underlying fundamental point is something that I encourage you to contemplate: the ultimate goal of our soul (which is inherently one with our Creator) in its descent to be enclothed in a physical body (which is, basically, our sense of self--ego) is to NULLIFY that sense of self via subordinating ourselves to the will of G-d and to His Tzaddikim.

The phrase the Rebbe prefers to bring from our sages is "I was not created except to serve my Master". In other words, our existence is not about physical pleasure, nor spiritual revelations, nor this or that special joy. All of that stems from our ego. We have to override and harness our ego to serve Hashem, meaning to do what He wants to such a degree that what He wants is what I want. That is the unity you are searching for. But it can only come about if you begin to work on "nullify your will before His will" (as stated in Pirkey Avot).

You can't do it alone. You must learn Torah and Chassidus (the inner Torah) with a teacher. Look at the Rebbe's photo and ask the Rebbe to send you a teacher. He will appear shortly thereafter.

Be well.
Intrigued is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

Regarding the first half of your question, Toviah, you have no need to fear. The very same Torah that prohibits us from contacting departed souls also assures us that we will indeed be together in the World to Come.

You are correct that in some sense, therefore, death is not so sad - rather a temporary cessation in contact with that person. On the other hand, true growth is only possible in this world, and in that sense death is truly tragic.

Why is communication using psychics and such forbidden?

There are two points: The intended result, and the medium.

The medium in this case is certainly forbidden. A "true" psychic will be tapping into powers of impurity to create some sort of connection between the world of the living and the world of souls. More on that is unnecessary.

The intended result: If G-d wanted us to be able to have direct communication with the dead, would he not have created the world in that way? Perhaps WE are convinced that it would be so helpful for us to speak to them, whereas in truth it would distract us from our true purpose in this world? (There are stories in the Gemara that imply this.)

As for your real unsaid question, I'm sorry for your loss. May Hashem comfort you until you can be reunited with them.
hishtatchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Gevurah
Executive Diamond Member

I thought this thread was about contacting people who electronically departed or said they were not going to post again but did not reincarnate to a new user name....
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

but your changed your original avatar
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote