Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Torah

Unread 02-22-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Chabad Friend
Gold Member

Torah Study

The thread on learning b'girsa got me thinking.

There are a number of statements by the Rebbe as well as the FR regarding what should be learned on a daily or annual basis, or what was learned by the Rebbeim. The AR writes quite often that Talmud Torah K'neged Kulam. Whaat should that look like nowadays?

Here are a few parts to the seder.

1) Chumash-Rashi
2) Tehillim
3) Tanya
4) Rambam
5) One masechta a year- participation in the Yud-Tes Kislev chalukas hashas.
5a) Meseches Sota during Sefira
6) Chassidus

Chassidim relate to these not (only) as a fulfillment of the mitzvah of Talmud Torah, but as mivtzoim they do, as Chassidim. The fact remains that daily involvement in those six shiurim takes a good deal of time, even when not learned properly, how much more so when learned properly.

What else should be added to this list? I am not referring to yeshivaleit. They are in another category I am not discussing now. Should the items listed by the FR in Hayom Yom (Tanach, Medrash Rabo, etc) be included? Are there any other limudim I am missing?
Chabad Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
Leayis
Senior Gold Member

ad to this list? halevai we held by this list. agav i saw lately an interesting answer from the rebbe about chalukas hashas. a chossid wrote to the rebbe before 19 kislev one year that he took a mesechta to be finished by 19 kislev but he realises that he will not be able to, what should he do? so the rebbe answered him, in that case he should learn the rest of the mesechta only with rashi and tosafos.
Leayis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
klippatrapper

does the mesechta stuff apply to girls to??
Unread 02-22-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
wannabe
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leayis
ad to this list? halevai we held by this list. agav i saw lately an interesting answer from the rebbe about chalukas hashas. a chossid wrote to the rebbe before 19 kislev one year that he took a mesechta to be finished by 19 kislev but he realises that he will not be able to, what should he do? so the rebbe answered him, in that case he should learn the rest of the mesechta only with rashi and tosafos.
Did you see it in writing? I heard it was a yechidus with R' yoel. And BTW, of course we hold by this list, don't we?
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
Leayis
Senior Gold Member

i read it in kfar chabad magazine.
Unread 02-22-2005, 04:53 PM   #6
Leayis
Senior Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klippatrapper
does the mesechta stuff apply to girls to??
what do you think?
Unread 02-22-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
LION
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabad Friend
The thread on learning b'girsa got me thinking.

What else should be added to this list? I am not referring to yeshivaleit. They are in another category I am not discussing now. Should the items listed by the FR in Hayom Yom (Tanach, Medrash Rabo, etc) be included? Are there any other limudim I am missing?
Well you could add Likutei Torah, hilchos beis habchira in the three weeks, and if you really really want or hatorah.
Unread 02-22-2005, 07:24 PM   #8
Chabad Friend
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LION
Well you could add Likutei Torah, hilchos beis habchira in the three weeks, and if you really really want or hatorah.
Hilchos Beis Habechira. Good one.

As far as your other points, that's worth expanding point 6) on the list.

Are there particular Limudim of chassidus that the Rebbe or previous rebbeim expected out the chassidim? (Besides Tanya of course.)

I've heard of some things, but don't really know much about their source or if they're done nowadays.

a) Learning the "chassidishe parsha", i.e. Torah Ohr/Likutei Torah of every week's parsha.

Anything else?
Unread 02-22-2005, 09:41 PM   #9
wannabe
Silver Member

The Rebbe spoke numerous times, and very emphatically, about learning the chassidishe parsha. This was also in the later years (I think it is one of the hora'os of chayei sara '52). BTW, the benefits of this are also recognizable bepashtus.

The Rebbe also spoke numerous times about learning a perek tanya b/4 davening (besides chitas).

And you could add in learning the Torah of the baal yortzeit/geula etc., which tends to be a hora'ah almost every yortzeit and yoma depagra. And learning chassidus from each of the Rebbeim every day of kislev (although I think some say this was a hora'as sha'ah). As you said this does not include horo'os pertinent specifically for bochurim.

So why are we wasting so much time on the internet . .
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2005, 09:44 PM   #10
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

I would add the seder halimud set out by the Mitteler Rebbe in his intoduction to the AR's SA... but maybe it doesn't qualify as a "mivtza"...
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2005, 09:51 PM   #11
shoyn
Diamond Member

during weeks of parshas teruma tetzave, to learn explanations from Chazal concerning mishkan etc
shoyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2005, 10:13 PM   #12
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
I assume you were referring to the Hayom Yom of 3 Nissan - see Reshimos # 5 (p 27-28) for more elaboration of those and other shiurim. The lesson that I believe should be taken from there is - that there should be some learning poshut for the sake of learning, to cover topics and seforim etc. and not (just) to fulfill this or another list, an attitude that I believe that is sorely lacking (maybe partially due to all these lists?), veadorabo. VAKML.
Unread 02-23-2005, 03:56 PM   #13
Chabad Friend
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613
I would add the seder halimud set out by the Mitteler Rebbe in his intoduction to the AR's SA... but maybe it doesn't qualify as a "mivtza"...
What an introduction it is. At first I read the intro he wrote with his brothers, which mentioned going through Shas sixteen times in a few years! I didn't think you had meant that, so i looked further and saw that the MR wrote a private introduction.

So we should amend as follows:

4) Halachah:
a) AR's Shulchan Aruch-Orach Chaim yomi
b) Rambam Yomi

The MR also wrote of a very developed Iyun plan, which I plan to translate and post when I have more time, unless someone wants to beat me to it...

The Reshimos mention something I thought was unique: the Rashab would spend over an hour and a half a day "strolling" through his library, i.e. picking a sefer or more "at random" and learning it. I go for a stroll too occasionally, but not in such a pre-meditated way.
Unread 02-23-2005, 10:55 PM   #14
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
The Reshimos mention something I thought was unique: the Rashab would spend over an hour and a half a day "strolling" through his library, i.e. picking a sefer or more "at random" and learning it.
Yes, that is one of the things I wanted you to see.
Unread 02-23-2005, 10:58 PM   #15
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

Quote:
the Rashab would spend over an hour and a half a day "strolling" through his library, i.e. picking a sefer or more "at random" and learning it. I go for a stroll too occasionally, but not in such a pre-meditated way.
I like to peruse the maftechos for interesting inyonim, especially the maftechos of the Mitteler Rebbe.