Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > The World of Lubavitch

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #26
Lamp Lighter

What does that have to do with this discussion? If you complied all the sichas that say one must obtain well to spread Torah and Mitzvos it could be an whole sefer if not more.

We are talking about people wasting money to buy the Rebbe a Place claiming that he supported people donating thousands of dollars to the cause.

Waste of money.
Lamp Lighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #27
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
What does that have to do with this discussion? If you complied all the sichas that say one must obtain well to spread Torah and Mitzvos it could be an whole sefer if not more.

We are talking about people wasting money to buy the Rebbe a Place claiming that he supported people donating thousands of dollars to the cause.

Waste of money.
Originally Posted by Lamp Lighter http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/imag...s/viewpost.gif
That our Rebbe, who turned down so many lavaish physical things, and could have had 75% of polish and hugarian chassidim following him if he would have just done things like those Rebbeim ie: thousand dollar wardrobe, huge houses, etc,

we are talking about this comment
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #28
Lamp Lighter

So are we discussion if they contract each other or if they are even relevant because facts are facts.

The Rebbe had a simple menorah, he didnt have a fancy esrog container. He didnt have a fancy coat or a $3,000 hat. He didnt have a massive home and 770 looks like a dumb compared to the Vihznitz shul in monsey or the Belz Shul in Jerusalem.

Now with that said, the Rebbe said we should strive to be rich to help Torah institutions and help ourselves and others fulfill mitzvos.

They are both independent of each other and neither negates the other.

This is all a tangent to ignore to absurdity that the Rebbe told this Chassid to go raise funds for the palace which is the root of the issue.

Me spending $10,000 on the Rebbes palace vs. giving it to a Yeshiva, or help build a mikvah, or any other good reason.
Unread 05-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #29
Lamp Lighter

And of course stating the obvious is a criticism by chabadtalk standards so I apologize to the Belz and Vihznitz memebers who were offended that I said they have very lavash and beauitful shuls that I enjoyed davening in very much.
Unread 05-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #30
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
so I apologize to the Belz and Vihznitz memebers who were offended that I said they have very lavash and beauitful shuls that I enjoyed davening in very much.
I wonder if they would ever read your apologize...

To return to the topic at hand, we all agree with you that it's a waste of money and all this projet is nothing else than a misuderstanding. But on the other hand, your previous statements seemed to imply that having money and being rich were wrong. If it wasn't for money, I don't think Chabad would have been somewhere. And the Rebbe never asked his chasidim to live poorly because of him having a modest menorah and a very old car he always refused to change or old shoes he never wanted to change, etc. And that other chassidus are rich and have much money to spent to honor their Rebbe (fancy clothes, beautiful shteimelach) and to build big very beautiful shuls, we should thank G-d for that (after all that the Nazis destroyed). And by the way, Chabad built very beautiful 770 replica all over the world. You think their constructions were free of charge?
Unread 05-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #31
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosheh5769 View Post
I wonder if they would ever read your apologize...

To return to the topic at hand, we all agree with you that it's a waste of money and all this projet is nothing else than a misuderstanding. But on the other hand, your previous statements seemed to imply that having money and being rich were wrong. If it wasn't for money, I don't think Chabad would have been somewhere. And the Rebbe never asked his chasidim to live poorly because of him having a modest menorah and a very old car he always refused to change or old shoes he never wanted to change, etc. And that other chassidus are rich and have much money to spent to honor their Rebbe (fancy clothes, beautiful shteimelach) and to build big very beautiful shuls, we should thank G-d for that (after all that the Nazis destroyed). And by the way, Chabad built very beautiful 770 replica all over the world. You think their constructions were free of charge?
Lamp Li is talking about wealth for personal use
this is why T613 mentioned the Rebbe Maharash who lived in luxury and dressed as a millionaire
Unread 05-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #32
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Sort of sums up your general attitude on this board. Therefore I am not surprised.
The wisest thing I have heard all day. Whatever.
Quote:
this is why T613 mentioned the Rebbe Maharash who lived in luxury and dressed as a millionaire
Nice of you to notice. though it is easier to trade insults than deal with substance.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #33
Lamp Lighter

I had to waste time reading everything I have written prior to this to see where I wasnt clear.

Still cant find it.

1. The Rebbe was a simple person who did not want to have for himself many lavash things.

2. Other Rebbeim of his time chose a different approach that has been deemed a criticism for pointing out this even though its as obvious as the color of the sun (dont look for to long)

3. That the Rebbe would never want people to donate money for this cause.

How the rest of the discussion about chassidim should be rich/poor, that the Rebbe Maharash was rich (and that my Ruzhin) example wasnt good enough are all irelavent.

We are talking about the Rebbe specific and his actions can not be negated on here. You said it yourself.

Typical thread on ChabadTalk.
Unread 05-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #34
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

LL

why do you try to justify yourself going in your created circle?

go to the point

what to you think about the Rebbe Mahrash who lived in luxury?
Unread 05-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #35
Lamp Lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chossidnistar View Post
LL

why do you try to justify yourself going in your created circle?

go to the point

what to you think about the Rebbe Mahrash who lived in luxury?
I think it is what the Rebbe Mahrash was supposed to do.

The same reason why the Rebbe didnt wear a fur hat, long coat, tzitzis over the shirt, and have long payos like his father in law the Rebbe Rayatz.

What do you think about the fact that until 1940's America, Chabad Chassidim dressed either like the litvish or the polish and not how they do today.

I was always and ONLY speaking about the Rebbe. If you want to drag in others that is fine. I mentioned others to contrast how different the Rebbe was in almost everything, especially physical things.

So you can go play in your own creative circle as this has become a circle argument and is exhausted.
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #36
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

I don't know if I'm the only one to have that impression, but you are an easily irritated man...and your answers are sometimes too personal. I know what you'll answer to me:

Quote:
in a conversation, you are the type of person that will talk just to talk without bringing anything positive or constructive to the table. I am the type of person that would let a person know that they are doing that to the face.
Unread 05-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #37
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
2. Other Rebbeim of his time chose a different approach that has been deemed a criticism for pointing out this even though its as obvious as the color of the sun (dont look for to long)
No one ever disputed the fact that some Rebbe'im had a different approach about the lifestyle they led. However, in the sentence you wrote - you had written something else, which I (and perhaps others) perceived an insult. If you cannot see it, fine. I saw it that way, and I would not be surprised that others also did.
I also have no idea who you are arguing against, as I believe that everyone here (who wrote in this thread) sees this "palace" business as one big joke, even without getting into a lengthy discussion of the Rebbe's living habits.
For those interested, here is another thread on the topic from several years ago:
http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=1442
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote