Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > The World of Lubavitch

Unread 01-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #51
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Wow.

Quote:
I recently read an article suggesting that anorexia in the frum community is higher than the national average. Which is it? Are we too fat? Or are we too thin? Depression is up in the frum community? How is there possibly a statistic on that? I would hazard a guess that in communities where things like regular doctor visits are less encouraged, depression isn't picked up with the alacrity that we apparently are finding it in our communities.
Annorexia does not equal thin or fat. It is a mental condition which results from poor body image, among other things (and feel free to get a better definition if you want). But you missed my point entirely.

Quote:
any souces for these statistics?
mental health concern common in girls schools?
do you know that in many statistics many frum ppl are labeled as "mental health problem" b/c they became frum?
like trying to find a refuge believing on G-d b/c they are weak?
Yes there are sources, but you also missed my point.

My point is that statistics don't matter. If there are issues with childhood obesity, we should do something about them. If there are issues with mental health, we should do something about them. It doesn't matter if we are higher or lower than the national average, we need to help those that need help.

I'm not equating any of the problems mentioned above. Each one requires a unique approach to make positive change. All I am saying is that you cannot deny that there are those in our communities with all of these issues. So we should deal with them. It does no good to get defensive.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #52
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

And is it necessary to issue a psak din or asking rabbonim to intervene for every one of these problems which, according to some on this forum, are "common", "prevailing" in the frum world in general, and in Lubavitch in particular?
Unread 01-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #53
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosheh5769 View Post
And is it necessary to issue a psak din or asking rabbonim to intervene for every one of these problems which, according to some on this forum, are "common", "prevailing" in the frum world in general, and in Lubavitch in particular?
If the Rabbonim feel it will help, then yes. On the driving subject, I don't think anybody was talking about a psak din, the OP just thought it a good idea to publicize any letters or other sichos of the Rebbe on the subject of safety behind the wheel. If the Rebbe thought to mention these things, I think its appropriate to bring up his statements when we see there are those who will listen (or should listen).

On the other subjects I mentioned, there are some halachic issues that come up. For example, there are questions about tznius and sports and how to effectively exercise. A Rav can help identify what options are permissible and also what special steps might be taken to expand the options further.
Unread 01-13-2011, 01:06 AM   #54
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahTovChelkeinu View Post
All I am saying is that you cannot deny that there are those in our communities with all of these issues. So we should deal with them. It does no good to get defensive.
I don't know any Chossid who is a poor driver, is fat, AND anorexic.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 01:13 AM   #55
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

On a more serious note: I'm less concerned with the proper classification of anorexia, and more concerned with its effect. Anorexic people do not eat enough, and therefore can become too thin, or emaciated. While I'm sure you know of exceptions (you seem to always know of exceptions to any rule), they are the exceptions.

You missed my point. My point was there is a haste to ascribe all kinds of problematic trends to our community. Social workers enjoy crying wolf, and frum social workers tend to cry wolf on frum society (whether their target is obesity, or anorexia, or any other disorder).

Our community must function like a family, taking care of one another no matter what problems any of the individuals within our greater family have. Someone suffering from depression must be treated with love and compassion. But I reject attempts to label depression a "frum problem."

And I reject attempts to ascribe poor mental health to my community; and I similarly reject the implication that frum people collectively have a DUI issue, or the like.
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #56
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

So you're saying that we shouldn't take steps to prevent these things?
Unread 01-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #57
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
What? No!
Unread 01-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #58
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
You missed once again the point.
Unread 01-17-2011, 02:24 AM   #59
True Seeker

Going back to the original subject, I can see that the general view is that careless driving is not more prevalent in Lubavitch than in other circles (frum, Jewish b'chlal, and l'havdil, goyishe circles).

It is true, I should have brought statistics which I don't have.

However, if we accept the idea that we are as careless (or as safe) drivers as the rest of the world, would that be a good excuse for not doing something to help prevent accidents in our communities?

What I'm worried about (and probably some people will yell at me again) is that we are not ready to do much because we are not good when it comes to deal effectively with problems like this, or health issues, for that matter (as a community) No. I don't have any statistics that proves this statement. Just my personal life experience and observation.
True Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #60
AhavasYisrael
Executive Member

Personal life experience and observation is very much just that. When you're living in a certain community (even if it's a global community such as Chabad,) you're very in tune to what happens within that community. Meaning that what takes place outside of that community is not very high up on the radar.

Accidents take place in every community and there are many causes as to why they would take place. They are not exclusive to Chabad, but because you are part of the Chabad community, you are aware of what takes place in the community moreso than what takes place in other communities and therefore think it's a Chabad "problem."

Also, just because an accident takes place on the way back from a wedding or other celebratory event does not mean that someone was drunk or driving unsafely.

My family was involved in a car accident on the way back from my brother's wedding. However, we started out the morning after the wedding, it was a clear sunny afternoon and the car was going the speed limit. What happened? The tire blew out causing the van to go out of control and roll over several times.

You can see from this that the origin of the car, where it was heading or the age or religious affiliation of the occupants, etc. doesn't necessarily have any correlation as to what actually caused the accident.

Last edited by AhavasYisrael; 04-10-2011 at 10:29 PM.
AhavasYisrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #61
True Seeker

You definitely have a point.
True Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote