Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Moshiach

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 05-07-2004, 01:37 PM   #151
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

I must have missed it. When did he come?
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2004, 04:35 PM   #152
rebayzl
Senior Diamond Member

OPEN YOUR EYES!
rebayzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2004, 09:31 PM   #153
LION
Diamond Member

Roza, Did you learn the Sicha?

Jude, Did you learn The rest of the Sicha?

[I hope nobody here is suggesting that we should write.....]
Unread 05-08-2004, 11:53 PM   #154
roza
Silver Member

Jude,

read third line on the right:

http://www.otzar770.com/cgi-bin/imgs...ilIF=G&ilSC=30

whom should i choose jude or Rebbe?
Unread 05-09-2004, 01:23 PM   #155
LION
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roza
Jude,

read third line on the right:

http://www.otzar770.com/cgi-bin/imgs...ilIF=G&ilSC=30

whom should i choose jude or Rebbe?
I would take that as a No.

Because if yes [you did learn it] you would have quoted the end of the very same Sicha that Jude quoted, since Jude is talking about a Sicha from parshas Mishpatim 5752 which is AFTER parshas Bo, and is referring to something that happened on that Erev Shabbos [parshas Mishpatim,] so either way your quote would not prove Anything...(also you might see\understand what Jude was saying [although the wording..])

Now in the future it would be nice that before you comment on anything [in this instance a Sicha] you should learn it yourself!
Unread 05-09-2004, 04:44 PM   #156
roza
Silver Member

it was my response to jude about actual geula
Unread 05-09-2004, 04:55 PM   #157
LION
Diamond Member

Yes, but my point is that if you had learned that Sicha that Jude quoted you would have had no need to answer from a Sicha from parshas Bo which does NOT answer her anyway (as I said [and you would know if you had learned that Sicha] that it is referring to something that happened that erev Shabbos i.e. something that happened after parshas Bo !) !
Unread 06-10-2004, 10:54 PM   #158
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

Quote:
Apocalypse Now?
Messianists wonder if this war might be the big one.
Jonathan Mark - Associate Editor

The looming war with Iraq has long ago taken on the language of a religious crusade, in Arab capitals as well as the White House. But the Jewish messianic excitement that grew out of the first Gulf War back in 1991 is more muted now, humbled after a decade of the crash and burn of the peace process, controversy over the Lubavitch messianic aspirations, and Israels Palestinian war that has shown little evidence of anyones grand plan, let alone Gods. And yet, deep into conversations, Orthodox Jews are saying an Iraq war might be of a piece with nothing less than the Messiahs arrival.

In the 1990s, Americans began to speak of the end of history, but are these the End of Days?

In 1991, even mainstream organizations like the Orthodox Union and Young Israel were caught up in the excitement, distributing an hour-long video to hundreds of North American synagogues for study sessions on how to see Gods fingerprints on everything from the seemingly messianic ingathering of exiles from Russia and Ethiopia to a war that saw Iraqi missiles fall harmlessly into Israel.

That the first Gulf War ended on Purim (Feb. 28, 1991) made the whole thing seem like a mystical masquerade, a childrens holiday, with Americans and Israelis as unscathed as Esther. And now one of the deadlines for Iraq is said to be March 17, which happens to be Purim.

Rabbi Benjamin Blech, the Yeshiva University professor whose videotaped seminar on the End of Days was distributed by Young Israel and the OU, sees all the messianic elements of 1991 still in place, and the hand of God in the confluence of Purims.

Rabbi Blech, the author of The Idiots Guide to Judaism, points out that were already in the End of Days. According to the Talmud, human history will last no longer than 6,000 years, and were already in 5763. The six millennia correspond to the six days of the week. Just as Shabbat does not come at night but at twilight, some have calculated that the Shabbat of the end, the time for lighting Shabbat candles, so to speak, has already arrived in 1967.

Were already in the endgame. Part of that will include a terrible time of catastrophe, which many see as the Holocaust, followed by a return of the Jews to Israel, followed by a return to Jerusalem, all of which has happened. And remember, said Rabbi Blech, the messianic story is rooted in a return to the Garden of Eden. Thats the ideal state. Kicked out, we strive to return. And the Garden of Eden is in Iraq, situated near the Tigress and Euphrates rivers. We have the coincidence of time [Purim] and place [the Garden].

But on the eve of Gulf War II, most Orthodox Jews only wish these were the End of Days and not another tedious day in the terrorist grind. If the messianic anticipation in 1991 felt like New Years Eve, 12 years later everyone is nursing a headache, the balloons have deflated. Weve seen too much and hurt too badly, people say, were too emotionally wounded for the messianic romance to be the same.

Rabbi Meir Fund, spiritual leader of the Flatbush Minyan, says the Orthodox street is very depressed over the years of terrorism, the Israeli economy, and Shinui, the fervently secular party whose strong showing in the recent Israeli elections led to Israels governing coalition.

Its hard to get excited the second time around, says Rabbi Fund. In 1991 there was the sense of something afoot. Not now. But people feel like we need Moshiach [the Messiah] even more than in 91, lets put it like that. Theres less talk but a deeper yearning, no question about it.

Rabbi Pesach Lerner, executive director of the Young Israel synagogue movement that believes Israels 1948 return to sovereignty is a messianic sign, says, I havent heard people talking about the connection between war and Moshiach at all. Look, were just getting up from Haifa, where dozens were killed and injured in a bus bombing. You read the bad news, you hear of personal suffering genug! Enough! Master of the Universe, how much can we take? Is messianism in the air? I wish it were.

It is, at least in the Young Israel Viewpoint magazine. Even as he was speaking to The Jewish Week on the phone, he said was holding a commentary by Rabbi Chananya Berzon for an upcoming Viewpoint, which states that Moshiach will appear very soon. ... The world is sitting on a powder keg; at any moment it can frantically detonate, and we can fear cataclysmic events. But great miracles will occur, the redemption itself.

Other Orthodox leaders noted that Israel and Jerusalem cant seem to help being brought into this fight, which can be foreboding or promising, but fitting a messianic scenario.

Before the Messiah comes, says Rabbi Shmuel Butman, director of Lubavitch Youth Organization, the nations of the entire world are supposed to be at odds, a scenario taking place at the United Nations, and a prophecy that can only be fulfilled with a UN bringing everyone together. This war is clearly a continuation of the 1991 war, says Rabbi Butman, when the rebbe connected the messianic dots. He recalled the rebbes citation of the famous Baal HaTurim commentary that says Ishmael, Abrahams son who is the prototype for Arabs and Islam, will fall in the End of Days.

We usually think our ultimate enemy is Esau, says Rabbi Butman of the metaphorical representative of ******ianity. Here, we see it is Ishmael. Esau the president and the ******ian right support us and Ishmael is the culprit were going to break now.

In fact, no one has so openly cast this war in religious terms more than Esau. It was President Bushs repeated use of the word evil, with its biblical connotations, that has driven the debate out of the public square and into the pews. The president, who easily speaks of Gods plan, refers often to the power of prayer, of Gods hand guiding his own, of the spiritual shield that protects the country. Newsweek, in a recent cover story on Bush and God, speaks of war in a land once called Babylon, words lifted, it seems, from the mouths of Jewish messianists. The president proposes a wartime mission as messianic as Israels own to bring Gods liberty to every human being in the world.

Jewish religious conservatives arent nervous, theyre delighted. Radio talk show host, Dennis Prager, writing for Jewish World Review, an Orthodox online magazine, says, To the extent that one is ever able to see the hand of God in history I believe that either divine intervention or good luck on the magnitude of a lottery win explains George W. Bushs rise to the position of president.

Bush is remarkable, Rabbi Fund tells The Jewish Week, the ultimate Shabbos goy. Hes a goyish Menachem Begin, with God on his lips all the time. How can it be bad? He speaks of God more than Tommy Lapid, leader of Shinui, thats for sure. More than any Israeli leader, Bush is removing a Haman from the Jewish neck.

http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/ne...7577&print=yes
Unread 06-11-2004, 02:12 PM   #159
rebayzl
Senior Diamond Member

Nehehehehebach!
rebayzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 08:39 AM   #160
Groisah Tzaddik

Arrow How do we "Open Our Eyes"?!

The Rebbe said it -- all we have to is OPEN OUR EYES.

Now my question is -- HOW DO WE DO IT?

The Rebbe said the seudah of Leviyoson the table is set etc. But I dont see it?!!

What do we need to do?
Groisah Tzaddik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 10:01 AM   #161
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

Re: How do we "Open Our Eyes"?!

What did the Rebbe always stress?

* Learning pnimiyus HaTorah and inyonei Moshiach.
* Spreading the wellsprings outwards.
* Performing Mitzvos b'hiddur, particularly the mitzvah of Ahavas Yisroel.
* Stand ready (that Moshiach's imminent arrival should be real to you)

"Gal einai" - "Open my eyes, and I will look on the wondrous things from Your Torah" - the reasons and mysteries of the Torah that will be revealed in the future, with the speedy coming of our righteous Moshiach. (Likkutei Sichos, Vol. V, p.131 as paraphrased in Days of Destiny)
Yankel Nosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2004, 01:24 PM   #162
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

Re: How do we "Open Our Eyes"?!

We can gain awareness of Mashiach through the study of pnimiyus HaTorah,[358] the Torah's mystical dimensions, and in particular, through the study of the subjects of redemption and Mashiach. This process will open the eyes of our mind, so that as we live our lives day by day, we will remain constantly attuned to the concept of redemption.

Furthermore, the increase in our awareness of the nature of the Redemption will serve as a catalyst, which will hasten the coming of the day when we can actually open our eyes and see -- that we are in Eretz Yisrael, and in Jerusalem, and, indeed, in the Beis HaMikdash, with the coming of the Redemption.

http://www.sichosinenglish.org/books...lish/50/38.htm
Unread 02-25-2005, 10:10 AM   #163
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

The Mitteler Rebbe in Toras Chaim discusses the familiar analogy of the redemption being like a birth ("chevlei leida") and that after the baby is born, it has to open its eyes to it's new reality.
Unread 03-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #164
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

Analysis: Atheism worldwide in decline
By Uwe Siemon-Netto, UPI Religious Affairs Editor

Quote:
Gurat, France, Mar. 1 (UPI) -- There seems to be a growing consensus around the globe that godlessness is in trouble. "Atheism as a theoretical position is in decline worldwide," Munich theologian Wolfhart Pannenberg told United Press International Tuesday.

His Oxford colleague Alister McGrath agrees. Atheism's "future seems increasingly to lie in the private beliefs of individuals rather than in the great public domain it once regarded as its habitat," he wrote in the U.S. magazine, ******ianity Today.

Two developments are plaguing atheism these days. One is that it appears to be losing its scientific underpinnings. The other is the historical experience of hundreds of millions of people worldwide that atheists are in no position to claim the moral high ground.

Writes Turkish philosopher Harun Yahya, "Atheism, which people have tried to for hundreds of years as 'the ways of reason and science,' is proving to be mere irrationality and ignorance."

As British philosopher Anthony Flew, once as hard-nosed a humanist as any, mused when turning his back on his former belief: It is, for example, impossible for evolution to account for the fact than one single cell can carry more data than all the volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica put together.

Flew still does not accept the God of the Bible. But he has embraced the intelligent design concept of scholars such as William Dembski who only four years ago claimed to have been mobbed by pro-evolutionist colleagues at -- of all places -- Baylor University, a highly respected Southern Baptist institution in Waco, Tex.

The stunning desertion of a former intellectual ambassador of secular humanism to the belief in some form of intelligence behind the design of the universe makes Yahya's prediction sound probable: "The time is fast approaching when many people who are living in ignorance with no knowledge of their Creator will be graced by faith in the impending post-atheist world."

A few years ago, European scientists sniggered when studies in the United States -- for example, at Harvard and Duke universities -- showed a correlation between faith, prayer and recovery from illness. Now 1,200 studies at research centers around the world have come to similar conclusions, according to "Psychologie Heute," a German journal, citing, for example, the marked improvement of multiple sclerosis patients in Germany's Ruhr District do to "spiritual resources."

http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breakin...3015-2069r.htm
Unread 03-31-2005, 09:48 PM   #165
lyg770

open your eyes can mean to look in thw world around you how moder tachnology etc. the world is changing for the good (obviously there is a 2nd side to the coin; the world has alot of evil but we must Always look on the good side of thinngs)
lyg770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2005, 02:26 AM   #166
The Eighth King

Learn the Sicha of Shabbos Parshas VaYetzeh, Tes Kislev Nun-Beis and see what the Rebbe says there... It seems to me, that "opening the eyes" refers to a Hosofo in the Limud and Avoda of the Chassidus of the Mittler Rebbe Davka.
The Eighth King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2005, 07:40 PM   #167
Majorchassid

Why davka?
Unread 09-14-2005, 01:26 AM   #168
JewishHiphop
Diamond Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankel Nosson
What did the Rebbe always stress?

* Learning pnimiyus HaTorah and inyonei Moshiach.
* Spreading the wellsprings outwards.
* Performing Mitzvos b'hiddur, particularly the mitzvah of Ahavas Yisroel.
* Stand ready (that Moshiach's imminent arrival should be real to you)

"Gal einai" - "Open my eyes, and I will look on the wondrous things from Your Torah" - the reasons and mysteries of the Torah that will be revealed in the future, with the speedy coming of our righteous Moshiach. (Likkutei Sichos, Vol. V, p.131 as paraphrased in Days of Destiny)
Compare that with the recent statement of Rav Kaduri Shlita who said that 5766 will be a year of Sod Ve'gilui (the revelation of secrets).

Ksiva vechasima tova
JewishHiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 01:32 AM   #169
JewishHiphop
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eigth King
Learn the Sicha of Shabbos Parshas VaYetzeh, Tes Kislev Nun-Beis and see what the Rebbe says there... It seems to me, that "opening the eyes" refers to a Hosofo in the Limud and Avoda of the Chassidus of the Mittler Rebbe Davka.
Or perhaps the implication could be to learn in the ofen of the Mittler Rebbe (I.e. b'iyun).

Ksiva vechasima tova
Unread 09-14-2005, 02:25 AM   #170
The Eighth King

1. The other Rebbeim didn't learn b'iyun?
2. Did you look it up?

Ksiva V'Chasima Tovah to you as well.
Unread 09-15-2005, 04:04 PM   #171
JewishHiphop
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eigth King
1. The other Rebbeim didn't learn b'iyun?
2. Did you look it up?

Ksiva V'Chasima Tovah to you as well.
Ofcourse they did, but this was the Mittler Rebbe's 'oiftu' (specialty).

I didn't look it up, but I recall learning it a few years ago. Ofcourse there's always room for improvement.

Ksiva vechasima tova...
Unread 09-15-2005, 04:21 PM   #172
chasidus
Executive Member

btw harchavah not iyun
chasidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2005, 04:22 PM   #173
The Eighth King

What he says there (in Ois Yud) is that there should be a hoisofo in the limud of the Torah of the Mittler Rebbe, in a way of Rechoivos HaNahar. Then he continues and says that this is the uniqueness of the teachings of the Mittler Rebbe in comparison to the other Rebbeim "both in comparison to the Alter Rebbe who preceded him, and in comparison to the Tzemach Tzedek who followed after him." He also states that this quality is influenced to all of the students of the Mittler Rebbes Torah etc... The very next ois is the "open your eyes" etc..which is preceded by the words "everything is prepared in the physicality of the world, as is stressed specifically in the Avoida of the Mittler Rebbe, in a manner of 'pointing with ones finger and saying 'zeh'" etc.
Unread 09-17-2005, 11:56 PM   #174
JewishHiphop
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasidus
btw harchavah not iyun
What's the difference?
Unread 04-08-2007, 02:36 AM   #175
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

I didn't read all seven pages of this thread, so I hope I'm not writing something which was already written.

I think 'opening your eyes' is subjective.

We all see different things. And since G-d is united with everything, therefore everything we see can give us insight into G-d.

One person can look at a tree, and see the beauty, and learn lessons from it, and feel close to Hashem. Another person can study a verse in the Torah, and gain a deeper insight, which can be beneficial in understanding better how to serve Hashem. And so on, and so on.

So the next time you're going for a stroll, why not open your eyes, and see how G-d reveals Himself in your world.
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote