Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > The World of Lubavitch > Lubavitch Derech

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Unread 10-27-2006, 01:39 AM   #1
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member
 
noahidelaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 7,479
"The Average Lubavitcher"

"The average Lubavitcher." I've been hearing this term of late, and I have no clue what it means, but it seems highly subjective. Does it mean: A Shliach or a baal haboss? A yoshev ohel or a baal eisek? A bochur or a yungerman? Can anyone enlighten me?
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 03:24 AM   #2
cholentpot
Member
 
cholentpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 41
Are we talking about the average lubavitcher before marriage or after?
Its not refering to shluchim
__________________
You have the power to bring Moshiach!
cholentpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
magdiel
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholentpot View Post
Are we talking about the average lubavitcher before marriage or after?
Its not refering to shluchim
AL, in the context of how it has been used on this forum, basically means someone who agrees with and has the same general opinion of the poster. For example, as the term was used by Gevurah, he was afraid that Berger or Student would attribute some of my posts to the AL, which would be regrettable. On the other hand, posts by some others , like T613 or 8 King, or Gevurah himself, would be deemed representative of the AL.
I would add, CT to the term, so it would read ALCT, which would be a more objective standard: Average Lubavitcher on Chabad Talk. (Not)
magdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,699
what other categories we have ?
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,336
The Average Lubavitcher is as Lubavitch as Lubavitcher Pie.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
Gevurah
Executive Diamond Member
 
Gevurah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,052
More average than the average ber, Dov Ber...


Me and the KIng are not AL.... unless the King gives a vastly different persona in non-virtual reality....

T613 is AL..perhaps here there and everywhere...
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
amoretz
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 304
Average means "beinoni".
As is " - , "
amoretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
Gevurah
Executive Diamond Member
 
Gevurah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,052
half the minhagim ? chitas with one perek?
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #9
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 11,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevurah View Post
More average than the average ber, Dov Ber...


Me and the KIng are not AL.... unless the King gives a vastly different persona in non-virtual reality....

T613 is AL..perhaps here there and everywhere...
If I am average - och un vei to L...
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #10
The Eighth King
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,302
but Gev... 2 to 1 makes us the average.

T613 is an AL? heh..
The Eighth King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #11
Gevurah
Executive Diamond Member
 
Gevurah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,052
I am looking at the word average differently... this just occurred to me....

Mode, Mean, Median etc.... typical....
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #12
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,336
Excellent! The Mean Lubavitcher!
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:03 AM   #13
Gevurah
Executive Diamond Member
 
Gevurah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,052
maybe ideal... theoretical

1. Negel Vasser
2. Mikveh
3. Chassidus before davening
4. Black hat double covered...
5. clothing
6. hekshers eaten
7. no treife animals
8. no TV
9. Chitas and Rambam
10. Only chabad approved learning...
11. chabad mashpia
12. all the minhagim in the sefer m
13. does not know the Gedolim etc...
14. wife in Sheitel only in street

you get the point....
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:04 AM   #14
The Eighth King
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevurah View Post
10. Only chabad approved learning...
As determined by who?
The Eighth King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:04 AM   #15
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 11,716
Lets make a checklist (like the kids bring home from school). Score 100% - as average as can be (AKA "a TRUE L").
Gevurah will compile it and keep score.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #16
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahidelaws View Post
"The average Lubavitcher." I've been hearing this term of late, and I have no clue what it means, but it seems highly subjective. Does it mean: A Shliach or a baal haboss? A yoshev ohel or a baal eisek? A bochur or a yungerman? Can anyone enlighten me?
The average Lubavitcher is both a working balabos and a Shliach, he is both a yoshev ohel who is a gaon and a baal esek, he spends all of his time on mivtzoim and gives maaser and maamad with a free hand, he learn chitas and rambam - 3 perakim and 1 perek and sefer hamitzvos, he dunks in the mikvah every morning and after a nap, he learns chasidus 3 times a week and nigleh constantly, he davens baarichus all shabbos day and is mechanech his children constantly bedarkei hachasidus, he is mechazek the shechunah and he lives in yehupetz, he learns all of the chasidishe parashah after being maaver sedrah Friday night, his family never goes to the country. Not to mention that he cooks, cleans the dishes and clears up the house while chazering Tanya and Mishnayos Baal Peh. He is of course married and a bochur at the same time. And he is quite enlightened.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #17
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 11,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevurah View Post
13. does not know the Gedolim etc...
WHAT gedolim? The uncles? Nah...
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #18
The Eighth King
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
Lets make a checklist (like the kids bring home from school). Score 100% - as average as can be (AKA "a TRUE L").
Gevurah will compile it and keep score.
But who can trust Gevurah's judgement? He is admittedly not an AL and has willingly returned his membership card...
The Eighth King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #19
Gevurah
Executive Diamond Member
 
Gevurah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,052
Quote:
The average Lubavitcher is both a working balabos and a Shliach, he is both a yoshev ohel who is a gaon and a baal esek, he spends all of his time on mivtzoim and gives maaser and maamad with a free hand, he learn chitas and rambam - 3 perakim and 1 perek and sefer hamitzvos, he dunks in the mikvah every morning and after a nap, he learns chasidus 3 times a week and nigleh constantly, he davens baarichus all shabbos day and is mechanech his children constantly bedarkei hachasidus, he is mechazek the shechunah and he lives in yehupetz, he learns all of the chasidishe parashah after being maaver sedrah Friday night, his family never goes to the country. Not to mention that he cooks, cleans the dishes and clears up the house while chazering Tanya and Mishnayos Baal Peh. He is of course married and a bochur at the same time. And he is quite enlightened.
yes...that is what I mean....
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #20
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,336
To be serious, the AL should be as described in Hayom Yom - lomed hasichos umaamarim umekayim horoosai.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #21
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 11,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eighth King View Post
But who can trust Gevurah's judgement? He is admittedly not an AL and has willingly returned his membership card...
So he's objective.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #22
Gevurah
Executive Diamond Member
 
Gevurah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,052
I have an objective kop in the top shelf in the closet for such an occassion.



Given my background, I certainly have to be when I am not undercover.

Bittul's first definition is no joke and makes me feel somewhat nostalgic...
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #23
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,336
His Bayis Maleh Seforim includes the kitchen cabinets and belong to Agudas Chasidei Chabad, he proclaims Shnas Habinyan in every gematria of mem ches, he never travels to family simchos and donates the air fair to a chasidishe farbrengen, he never drinks more than four and is always dancing on the tables merov simcha, he never shtechs anyone and fabrengs gor geshmak, his simchos are simple and fashionable as well as his children's clothing, and are all held in the shechuna.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #24
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,336
Believe me, every other sentence until now was nostalgic...

But now to go over the fence: He is always right near the Rebbe but never pushed his way there, he davened every word from the siddur and saw the Rebbe the entire time, his eyes skimmed the Frierdike Rebbe's kapitel but never actually said it, he only learns the Rebbe's Torah - with the full arichus of every mokor brought in the marei mekomos.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #25
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,699
SO, How many AL do u think there r in CH ?
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Yitzchak" or "Yitzachak" (shvah or patach)? mendyt Lubavitch Minhagim 16 12-21-2010 01:27 PM
Chasidus-- "ANI"-- "Sovev" or "Memalay"? ailiyooyee Chassidus 5 04-22-2008 12:08 AM
The Niggunim: "Harabi Shlita" and "Chayolei" gezetzt The World of Lubavitch 93 02-12-2006 12:09 AM
"Sheyichyeh" or "Neiroy Yoir"?? Barera Lubavitch Minhagim 1 09-19-2004 02:42 PM
The 6th Lubavitcher Rebbe, the "Frierdiker Rebbe" Jude Stories about the Rabbeim and Chassidim 15 02-01-2004 11:24 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2016 ChabadTalk.com