Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Halachah & Minhagim > Lubavitch Minhagim

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Unread 01-14-2004, 12:07 PM   #1
AskMoses
Senior Member
 
AskMoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 183
Six Sided Yarmulka

I am a little confused about the whole inyin on six sided yarmulka. I once heard that it was for six directions; right, left, backwards, forwards, up, and down. I don't know how valid this is so Im looking for some answer in sefer or something.
__________________
Mr. AskMoses
AskMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
chassidus
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 732
Re: Six Sided Yarmulka

Quote:
Originally posted by AskMoses
I am a little confused about the whole inyin on six sided yarmulka. I once heard that it was for six directions; right, left, backwards, forwards, up, and down. I don't know how valid this is so Im looking for some answer in sefer or something.
I don't think that it was originally done with any intent, only that the way to sew something contoured to a round head is by using many triangular pieces. Four or six are good numbers for this. I may be wrong, but I think people made up religious reasons for copying the Rebbe's yarmulka.

It reminds me of the rumor that the nature section of talks and tales was written by the Rebbetzin. Then, after it became an inyan in hiskashrus to learn it, someone mentioned it to the source (Nissin Mindel), who in surprise clarified that, when he replied "the Rebbetzin" when asked who wrote it, he meant his own!
chassidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2004, 03:33 AM   #3
bshojat
Senior Member
 
bshojat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 141
There is a very nice explanation to why chassidim wear six-sided yarmulkes and not four-sided, it's from rabbi shpalter's father obm (from morristown), and its printed in the Rabbi Shpalter's sefer on pesachim (shaarei shalom?) in the introduction
__________________
http://www.FreeMiniMacs.com/?r=14458764
bshojat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2004, 12:13 PM   #4
iamachassid
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,395
care to share?
__________________
Before you go to bed give your troubles to G-d, He will be up all night anyway.
iamachassid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2004, 10:28 PM   #5
RavSiach
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 354
I heard it's because 4 is a "tzeilim". I think this was already discussed in the Tyrelene Yarmulkes thread.
RavSiach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2004, 11:05 PM   #6
AskMoses
Senior Member
 
AskMoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 183
Re: Re: Six Sided Yarmulka

Quote:
Originally posted by chassidus


I don't think that it was originally done with any intent, only that the way to sew something contoured to a round head is by using many triangular pieces. Four or six are good numbers for this. I may be wrong, but I think people made up religious reasons for copying the Rebbe's yarmulka.

It reminds me of the rumor that the nature section of talks and tales was written by the Rebbetzin. Then, after it became an inyan in hiskashrus to learn it, someone mentioned it to the source (Nissin Mindel), who in surprise clarified that, when he replied "the Rebbetzin" when asked who wrote it, he meant his own!


I don't think so. Why? Well first of all I don't think so many people would make a mistake on stressing for a six sided yarmulka. Secondly six wouldn't be logical for shaping it to fit the head... four would no?
Just look at those who posted after you .
__________________
Mr. AskMoses
AskMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2004, 11:09 PM   #7
BrookAve
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 647
Why not eight? It would make sense since the Bris is on the eighth day and men wear them. MMM perhaps a marketing idea?
BrookAve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2004, 11:22 PM   #8
AskMoses
Senior Member
 
AskMoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 183
Exactly, thats why I wish to know why six?
__________________
Mr. AskMoses
AskMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 09:33 AM   #9
chassidus
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 732
Re: Re: Re: Six Sided Yarmulka

Quote:
Originally posted by AskMoses
I don't think so. Why? Well first of all I don't think so many people would make a mistake on stressing for a six sided yarmulka. Secondly six wouldn't be logical for shaping it to fit the head... four would no?
Just look at those who posted after you .
Basically, I just think people are copying the Rebbe. I'm sure the Rebbe has a reason, but not necessarily the one we think.

There is a story of a Rebbe that would always cut his nails after going to the mikveh. When asked why, he replied, "becaue after the mikveh they are softer." (Although, I'm sure there is deeper implicaitions to this, as well.)
chassidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 10:09 AM   #10
RebMoshe
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 966
Re: Re: Re: Re: Six Sided Yarmulka

Quote:
Originally posted by chassidus

There is a story of a Rebbe that would always cut his nails after going to the mikveh. When asked why, he replied, "becaue after the mikveh they are softer." (Although, I'm sure there is deeper implicaitions to this, as well.)
That was the Ropshitzer Rov ZT'L and there was a deeper meaning.
RebMoshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 10:21 AM   #11
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 11,716
Is there any evidence at all that the Rebbe was makpid on such a yarmulke? Or perhaps that was the most common one etc.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 01:15 PM   #12
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member
 
hishtatchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,606
Does it matter whether or not the Rebbe was Makpid? Even seemingly unintentional actions of a Rebbe are for a reason, no?
hishtatchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 01:18 PM   #13
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 11,716
In that case:
How many shoelace holes were there in the Rebbe's shoes? Why? Should I wear only such shoes?
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 01:34 PM   #14
rebayzl
Senior Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,354
What days should we daven Mincha after Shekia? Only erev Rosh Chodesh and 15th? Every Sunday? Monday?
rebayzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 01:47 PM   #15
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member
 
hishtatchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,606
Just join Mimush...

But that doesn't mean that there isn't a reason for it.
hishtatchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 02:10 PM   #16
Shmeryl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 136
magen david
Shmeryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 02:53 PM   #17
AskMoses
Senior Member
 
AskMoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally posted by Torah613
In that case:
How many shoelace holes were there in the Rebbe's shoes? Why? Should I wear only such shoes?
A yarmulka is involved with kedusha right? The rebbe didn't do anything "unintentional" with kedusha. If in your mind you can even compare the two, and have a Hava Amina the Rebbe just did stuff, without attempting to find the reason, you shouldn't even try to be a chossid, after all "lo am Haaretz chassid" .
__________________
Mr. AskMoses
AskMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 02:55 PM   #18
iamachassid
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,395
Torah613 how many years will you wear your shoes? And how many holes do they have to have?
__________________
Before you go to bed give your troubles to G-d, He will be up all night anyway.
iamachassid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 03:58 PM   #19
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 11,716
Excellent question!
AskMoses - by a Rebbe there is nothing that is not kedusha. If you don't think so you shouldn't even try to be a chosid.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 04:11 PM   #20
Web Yid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21
The inyun to wear a six sided kipa is not because it has six sides but rather because it does not have 4 sides. the problem with a 4 sided kipa is that the stiching on them are shaped like a cross.
__________________
WE WANT MOSHISACH NOW
Web Yid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 10:22 PM   #21
chassidus
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 732
Is it? It's not really shaped like one, and there is one included in a six sided yarmulka. If this was the reason, we should wear an odd numbered yarmulka to prevent its existence at all.

Is there any source for any of this, or is it just speculation?

As for copying the Rebbe, one has to be smart to know how to copy him. Like a teacher of mine said: I use exactly the same pen the Rebbe used--one that writes!

For example, wearing a size eight hat is not necessarily copying the Rebbe, because the Rebbe may have been wearing a hat that fit. (Hmm, look at that. An inner significance to everything. )
__________________
"The Baal Shem Tov revealed a new dimension of Torah based on Ahavas Yisrael."
chassidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 10:37 PM   #22
shoyn
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,121
lehavdil, the skull caps worn by the pope, cardinals etc, anyone know how many sides they have?
shoyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 11:16 PM   #23
shoyn
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,121
iamachasid, forget about sheer stockings, its black silk socks
shoyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2004, 11:45 PM   #24
RebYid
Senior Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,141
Quote:
Originally posted by shoyn
lehavdil, the skull caps worn by the pope, cardinals etc, anyone know how many sides they have?
Eight.
RebYid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2004, 01:11 AM   #25
shoyn
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,121
why wear 1 tzelem when you can wear 2!
shoyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2016 ChabadTalk.com