Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Halachah & Minhagim

Unread 07-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
FlyingAxe
Silver Member

Can tzaddikim act heipach Halacha?

This Shabbos, during lunch, I had a conversation with a local chossid, who claimed that tzaddikim can act heipach Halacha. By this I do not mean that they are fallible and can make mistakes and commit aveiros, chv"sh. He meant that "Halacha is a very low level, for us regular people. Tzaddikim are above its limitations."

The conversation was sparked by a discussion of birur ha'netzutzos and a story of the Maggid not eating in the house of Baal Shem Tov, because the latter did not keep some chumros of shechita, since he was able to elevate the netzutzos which were present in the meat shecheted acc. to more meikel standards, while the Maggid could not. (Also the answer of Tzemach Tzedek to a chossid of his regarding the chumros: do all the new chumros mean that rishoinim acted heipach Halacha? Tzemach Tzedek answered that as time goes on, because of yeridas ha'doiros, it's more difficult to elevate netzutzos in some object; so, it's necessary to create new chumros to guard new generations from such objects.

So, the chossid answered that not only are tzaddikim able to elevate the netzutzos in things we are not able to in terms of chumros, but they are bichlal not limited by Halacha in terms of doing their mission and following ratzon Hashem.

My question is: has anyone heard of such an idea, and is there a mokor for it in Chassidus or in nigleh (examples from Gemara, etc.)? Obviously, Halacha, for instance, grants nevi'im the ability to make people go heipach Halacha — but that ability itself is according to the law of Halacha.
FlyingAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Why not ask him for the source, since he claims that it is so? [I suspect he will point you to Likutei Torah parshas Shmini].
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
FlyingAxe
Silver Member

For a number of reasons I don't feel comfortable asking him.

Could you briefly summarize what it says? Or point to a place online to read it? I don't have access to many sforim at the moment.
Unread 07-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
FlyingAxe
Silver Member

(Never mind. Found it.)
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
FlyingAxe
Silver Member

So, it seems that tzaddikim don't have to do positive mitzvos since they can achieve yichuddim by themselves (even then: Rashbi was unable to do those mitzvos practically). What about negative mitzvos?
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaxe View Post
this shabbos, during lunch, i had a conversation with a local chossid, who claimed that tzaddikim can act heipach halacha.
אם כן בטלתם תורת אשר נשיא יחטא
wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAxe View Post
So, it seems that tzaddikim don't have to do positive mitzvos since they can achieve yichuddim by themselves (even then: Rashbi was unable to do those mitzvos practically). What about negative mitzvos?
Chas vesholom.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

The whole inyan of a Tzaddik is his awesome bittul to ratzon Hashem (see here). Ratzon Hashem is expressed in halacha. So a Tzaddik is totally boteil to halocho. However, halocho itself might apply to him in a different way, e.g., as mentioned, the inyan of Toroso umanuso.

Also, see the loshon of the Alter Rebbe in Tanya ch. 46:

Quote:
ובזה יובן חומר עונש איסור מלאכה בשבתות וחמץ בפסח השוה לכל נפש לפי שאף בנפש בור ועם הארץ גמור מאיר אור קדושת שבת וי"ט ונידון בנפשו בכרת וסקילה על חילול קדושה זו. וגם משהו חמץ או טלטול מוקצה פוגם בקדושה שעל נפשו כמו בקדושת נפש הצדיק כי תורה אחת לכולנו.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote