Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > The World of Lubavitch

Unread 10-17-2002, 05:15 PM   #1
rebbelution

Baal Teshuva Yeshivos

I believe that a big problem in Lubavitch today is where to send a Baal Teshuva whom you have mekareved. Most of the yeshivos seem to produce some very strange products. ( i realize that it does also depend on the stability of the person beforehand)They dont seem to realize that you are allowed to look normal even though you are now frum.
i was very happy to hear a few years ago that a normal professional yeshiva was opening in Israel. Whilst much credit must go to them for bringing many to yiddishkeit, from what i have seen. there is very little Rebbe there. from the people i have spoken to it is almost optional. i know of one student who had learnt there for two years. he was pretty frum, but had sfeikos etc. NOBODY HAD SUGGESTED IN TWO YEARS THAT HE SHOULD WRITE TO THE REBBE! i find this incredible to believe.
i know many who wear kapotes etc, but really dont have a clue about the Rebbe, or what Lubavitch stands for.
Is there somewhere to send a guy where he will turn out a normal person, appreciating the Rebbe without looking like he came out of a dryer? Dont get me wrong, i know plenty normal people who came out of tiferes, seagate, ohr tmimim etc, and also some chassidishe guys from mayanot but they seem to be a minority. i will be more than happy to be proven wrong.
rebbelution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 05:18 PM   #2
Jude
Executive Platinum Member

this topic is addressed in threads in the Shlichus forum. Check out: "Losing our Mekuravim" "Baalei Teshuva Statistics" and "Schools for BT Teens"
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 06:43 PM   #3
EtzChaim613
Executive Member

I have been told by many shluchim that their goal is to help yidden do more mitzvos (i.e. become shomrei Torah u'Mitzvos). Is it possible that the goal is to actually increase their kesher with the Rebbe and that being shomrei Torah u'Mitzvos is not enough? It seems to me that learning Torah and giving the mekeruvim the skills to build a bayis ne'eman b'yisroel is far more important than writing to the Rebbe and forming a kesher. The Torah tradition is thousands of years old. These practices seem extraneous to the mitzvos d'oreisa that must be learned!
Unread 10-18-2002, 12:29 AM   #4
pretzel999
Gold Member

REBBELUTION, What do you mean 'write to the Rebbe'? are you not aware of gimmel tammuz............or are you an out of touch mershichist? So too the wearing of a kapoteh, is the outward garb the way to judge people? c'mon.......
pretzel999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 07:09 AM   #5
untervegens
Silver Member

write to the Rebbe a Pan to put on the Ohel has nothing to do with Meshichism and is applicable also after Gimel Tamuz obviously.
Unread 10-21-2002, 01:03 PM   #6
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

lution, I know what you mean, and it is definitely an issue in that Yeshiva. In my personal judgement, Morristown is right now the best place for anyone.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2002, 08:27 AM   #7
yehonasan

rebbolutin: I agree with Bittul. Morristown is a quality yeshiva where when a bochur applies himself, he can learn and grow a lot. Rabbi Dubinsky is an EXCELLENT teacher and very committed to his bochurim.

I spent one year in Morristown several years ago. I only wish I could have stayed there for another year. G-d willing one day, I should be able to go back to Yeshiva.
Unread 10-28-2002, 10:03 AM   #8
rebbelution

Quote:
Originally posted by pretzel999
REBBELUTION, What do you mean 'write to the Rebbe'? are you not aware of gimmel tammuz............or are you an out of touch mershichist? So too the wearing of a kapoteh, is the outward garb the way to judge people? c'mon.......
I am really shocked that you beleive that only meshichistim write to the Rebbe. I suppose it is only meshichistim who go to the ohel to write a pan too! Come on!
About the kapote, that is exactly what i'm saying; they wear a kapote because that is what they see everyone doing, but they don't understand that the kapote does not make a Lubavitcher.

Last edited by rebbelution; 10-28-2002 at 10:08 AM.
rebbelution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2002, 12:41 PM   #9
yehonasan

I thought the thread was about BT Yeshivos?
Unread 12-21-2009, 02:45 AM   #10
raf1988

This is a subject that has intrigued me for years (even decades). But I guess is a matter of perception and also something chitzoini. You cannot expect a BT to have the same sprach, same behaviour with its whole "naturalness" and grace than a FFB. I really think that what BTs need to know and get into their brains and hearts is that trying to behave like FFBs is not what the whole thing is all about. Actually, H-shem wants a sincere heart. You can wear a capota and a black hat but that doesn't necessarily makes you a sincere Jew. Social pressure, rushing, low self-esteem, shidduch searching, can all be behind a decision to look like an FFB. I think it is very important to be truthful and not to deceive oneself.
Also, many BTs have a background and they will look weird their whole life. But who cares! H-shem wants that Jew to be connected to Him through Torah and Mitzvos...
Every BT yeshiva will have wierd people but most of them are very nice Jews who are searching and deserve a chance.
raf1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

an average BT does not want to look as FFB.
He knows that "bemakom sheBT omdim....."
his thirst for Torah knowledge and love for Hashem are so intense, that this ernergy ,gives you the impression of "weird", or sometimes "not normal",for a period ot time until settles
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

Quote:
for a period ot time until settles
yeah, until he "FFB's out", R"l
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #13
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote: