Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Chinuch

Unread 04-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
yekkes

Morristown Yeshiva...

I posted this earlier and it was deleted...any insight mods? I can't think of what would've been offensive about it...

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody knew anything about the BT Morristown program. I can't find a whole lot of information about it...just general..."it's really nice"...and things of the sort. I'd like to know if anybody can give me a little bit more detailed description because my Rabbi wants me to apply for their summer program to see if I want to study full time (possibly there). Has anybody been there? Know anybody who has? Heard any horror stories?

and did end up getting one reply on my last post and I'd like to thank that individual and I looked at the site and it looks like a really great yeshiva. thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks in advance.
yekkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Maybe it was deleted since any stories written by anonymous people - pro or con - will reflect the narrow biasis of the writers, and will not have any relation whatsoever with actual fact.
Speak to real live people.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
yekkes

that's my only problem...I live across the county. and in an area with no observant jewish population. my rabbi isn't able to give much more than "I think you'd be good there...it's a really nice school...this is the curriculum..."

I was just hoping to hear any stories. thanks for the reply though. I understand why it might be deleted now. thanks.
Unread 04-01-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

My suggestion, which was deleted along with the thread, was to go there for 10 days to see for yourself. Sometimes they have 10 day programs scheduled, or you can do it on your own.

The other place has horror stories, nice website design notwithstanding.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

I was in Morristown for many years. During this time I met hundreds of students coming from different parts of the USA and the world
It is an amazing place for learning, make friends and there are great Rabbis.
I still have contact with many students from these years, and most of them they remember the days of Yeshivah with excitement, for many of them these days were the best days of their life and some of them they even brought the Yeshivah with them where they live today
The rooms are like a 3 stars hotel, the food is considered good , and one of the better ones, compared to other Yeshivos.
They learn Chassidud in the morning starting around 7.30 until 8.30 am
Then 9 am is Shacharis, from 10 amm to 11 am is breakfast time (salds, eggs, creaels,etc) the 11 am to around 2 .15pm is learning Mishnayos, Gemoro,, (shiurim) with chevrusa time, then is lunh time, at 3.30 pm is mincha, then Jewish Law, Tanya, Chumash, Then is dinner , after diner chassidus (sichos) etcc. Maariv is before dinner or after ,depending summer/winter) In summer, , in the afternoon they finish earlier, and there is Swiming, sports,. Once or twice a week , there is a Farbrengen
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 10:00 PM   #6
yekkes

Thank you so much chossidnistar! I really really appreciate your "insiders view" on Morristown. I'm really excited now and I hope I get accepted into the summer program. And thank you for the whole schedule...it was a bit hard to understand on the site. One more question...I can't tell by the pictures...how many men are in each dorm room? Again, thank you so much!
Unread 04-02-2007, 01:30 AM   #7
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

it depends on the room and how crowded is the Yeshivah when you come; 3,4 , but everyone has an individual large closet Rooms are large.
There are good showers and a nice Mikveh, GYM,basket ball,and large green fields to practice almost any sport or just to take a walk, swimming pool,etc.
There is small shul 5 minutes walk in Cotler street where in the basement they have a small kosher store
The town is AROUND 3 minutes BY car , 15 minutes walk
Unread 04-02-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
CaliChassid

nistar is right about morristown. there are a lot ofplusses there. i think you should go.b but its only fair that you get a broad picture, includingthe miunuses as well. people on this board can be difficult about giving information.

morristown considers itself aver yseriosu place. so you have to want to be chabad to go there. otherwise,youll pressure you and pressure you about it. not the hanholo/rabbis, the bochurim. theyre merciless. if you daven nusch ashkenaz, youll getmade fun of.

theyre idea of being chabad and beang baal teshuva is that you have to bechabad 100%. And their version of chabad too.

i have some friendswho went to seagate. everything nistar said about morristown is also true for seagate. the diff. is that in seagate, they wont try to force you to become chabad. Rabbi Lipskar has adifferent approach, and i sort of wish i had gone there instead of morristown. the moshiach/anti thing i could care less about. i wasnt mishichist when i was in morristown. i sang yechi once at some farbrngen and the bochurim almost attacked me. it was nuts. but that was it, and the farbrenger bas basically almost mish itself. so whatever.

dont get me wrong. im dumping on morristown now because someone else talked it up and i think you need the whole picture. i loved it, and id rather be there than what im doing now (working bleh). its just that theyre really judgmental, and if your not willing to do it their way youll have a hard time. fair warning.

maybe try out both and see which one you like.
CaliChassid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliChassid View Post
morristown considers itself aver yseriosu place. so you have to want to be chabad to go there. otherwise,youll pressure you and pressure you about it. not the hanholo/rabbis, the bochurim. theyre merciless. if you daven nusch ashkenaz, youll getmade fun of. .
you say that the Rabbis do not push you to be Chabad, only the bochrim
The same bochrim that go to Morristown , they go to Seagate
so, if your experience in Morristown was that you felt some pressure, the same could have happened in Seagate
Whe you say "the bochrim", you are not talking about "all the bochrim", and a good advice , for everyone going to a Yeshivah for the first time is NOT to listen to the bochrim,(they are just learning like you) Just listen to the Rabbis
Unread 04-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:

dont get me wrong. im dumping on morristown now because someone else talked it up and i think you need the whole picture. i loved it, and id rather be there than what im doing now (working bleh). its just that theyre really judgmental, and if your not willing to do it their way youll have a hard time. fair warning.

maybe try out both and see which one you like.
I am sorry ,but you went to Morristown whithout a good advice.
When a bocher wants to be your mashpia, just tell him that you want to be his friend, but in these area , you ONLY want to listen to your Rabbi, and you are going to have always a wonderful experience, and make friends
Unread 04-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #11
CaliChassid

nistar misunderstands me. some of the rabbis are pushy. one or two go on and on about howthe only proper way is chabad. but they dont go to individual bochurimk to push them around. they let the other bochurim do that and they dont tell them otherwise.

in seagate the rabbis dont let bochurim act that way but it doesnt matter because the rabbis themselves dont create that atmosphere. they have a different philosofy about a bt yeshiva. and thats a big deal.

but there is at least one rabbi in morristown who pushes the chabad only thing even on guys who dont want to be chabad and are only there to learn. its something to keep in mind thats all.
Unread 04-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
nistar misunderstands me. some of the rabbis are pushy. one or two go on and on about howthe only proper way is chabad. but they dont go to individual bochurimk to push them around. they let the other bochurim do that and they dont tell them otherwise.

l.
I am sorry, I just quoted your words "not the Rabbis" , this means that now you are Changing your original words
Unread 04-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #13
CaliChassid

im not interested in arguing. i didnt come here to argue. i came here to inform. what i said above is the truth. the rabbis dont have a writtne policy to pressure but some do pressure and the bochurim do it with their haskomo. thats what i meant. i explained that above. sorry if that bothers you. i was just trying to give our friend some information that might be helpful tohim.

i said before that people on this site dont like to give information. it looks like they dont like others to gfive information either. sorry that the truth offends.
Unread 04-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
im not interested in arguing. i didnt come here to argue. i came here to inform. what i said above is the truth. the rabbis dont have a writtne policy to pressure but some do pressure and the bochurim do it with their haskomo. thats what i meant. i explained that above. sorry if that bothers you. i was just trying to give our friend some information that might be helpful tohim.

i said before that people on this site dont like to give information. it looks like they dont like others to gfive information either. sorry that the truth offends.
Nothing bothers me. You just look at your words above "not the Rabbis" , and then you changed
You sound a very sensitive person. Nothing wrong with this.
This was was your experience, I do nnot when, for how long, I was for more than 5 years in Morristown
Unread 04-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #15
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
in seagate the rabbis dont let bochurim act that way but it doesnt matter because the rabbis themselves dont create that atmosphere. they have a different philosofy about a bt yeshiva. and thats a big deal.
Sounds like things have changed from the good old days of "throw him in the mikvah". Or did they?
Anyway, my point was borne out. Maybe get a list of alumni or current students and make some phone calls.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #16
yekkes

thanks for all the varying view points...

and 613...I had never thought of trying to get ahold of alumni's numbers...so thanks for the advice.

I am worried about being pushed in Chabad. I love it so far and as far as I can tell I will stick with it, but I don't want to make a decision without really being sure. I guess I'll get that anywhere. And I really should just stick to my mashpia for advice.
Unread 04-04-2007, 10:34 PM   #17
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

I only can tell you about Morristown that is a fantastic Yeshivah
I cannot tell you anything about Seagate,
Hadar HaTorah is Another Yeshiva in CH with great teachers
Unread 04-04-2007, 10:59 PM   #18
yekkes

Yeah, I thought about Hadar, but my Rabbi wanted me to go to Morristown. I'm waiting for them to get back from Pesach break so I can conduct my interview via telephone. I'm pretty nervous about it...but BS"D I'll get through it. I'm really hoping to get in...it sounds amazing!
Unread 04-04-2007, 11:52 PM   #19
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Good luck! It is really amazing!
Unread 04-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #20

I was there for 2-3 years. The Rabbis are different and the students are from different backgrounds and locations. You will have a choice to connect to the Rabbi who is most compatible with you. It is also nice that the Tomchei Temim Yeshiva is in the same building (for born religious) so you can make friends and interact with them. There is also a weekly class where you learn with a bochur from upstairs. The pressure to become Chabad is unnoticable, at least to me, and Meshichism is kept at a privat choice level. I sang Yechi with a friend during the Shabbat meals, even though it is not a part of my Judaism like in some other Yeshivot.

Hope this helps and Good Luck in becoming a real Lubavitcher!!!
#13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #21
yekkes

B"H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got in!

B"H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 04-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #22
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Mazel Tov.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 11:38 PM   #23
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekkes View Post
B"H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got in!

B"H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BH, Mazel Tov!
Unread 04-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #24
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

Mazel Tov Yekkes! May you be able to learn with Hatzlachah and become a true Chosid, Yere Shomayim and Lamdan.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #25
yekkes

thank you everyone! I'm so excited to go!!!!!