Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > The World of Lubavitch > Lubavitch Derech > Lubavitch Dress Code

Unread 02-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
HaLevi

Beard Crisis

As a ba'al teshuva, especially as a chassid I have been for the past 2 years "plagued" by the beard crisis. Please HELP! I definately know that Chabad is the derech for my family and I, and looking to grow in Yiddshkeit and Chassidus on a daily basis. However, the nefesh a habehamis constantly seems to put a trimmer to my face when the beard starts getting too big! How can we, the neo-Chabadniks who grew up with the idea that beards are a backwards, dirty thing get over this.???

Hatzlacha Rabba
HaLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Read the book, "Hadrat Panim Zakan".
I heard, "The easiest thing in the world is to grow a beard. All you have to do is to do nothing."

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Levi

take it that cutting beard is like cutting hand or leg

TZ TZ pasken that cut Beard in assur Min HaTorah, Mitzvah comes from Tzavta (connection,union, attachment), the beard is your connection with Hashem!
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

Perhaps it would help to keep far away from all things remotely goyish.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

I've heard of a crisis of faith, but this crisis of beard is a new thing.

Are you currently clean shaven or do you just trim right now? If you're totally shaven right now, I might suggest taking it in stages... first grow a short, neatly trimmed beard; then grow it longer but still trim; then stop altogether. You can take a new hachlota every Rosh Hashana If you are still uncomfortable "letting it all hang out" you can always pin your beard so it looks neater.

Hatzlacha Raba
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Or you can do as I've seen and don't approve of, and roll it, tying it with a gumiya. Or you can push off shaving for "tomorrow" every day (kind of like I push off showering ).

Unread 02-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

I desagree with MTC's suggestions

IF you decided to follow the TZ TZ, just do it,and you are going to see all the brachot

http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=193
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

True- thus the reason I recommended the book I did.

Unread 02-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
ktonton
Silver Member

i always found the tzemach tzedek's psak strange because triming the beard with scissors is almost universaly permitted according to all authorities.

(that said, I never trim my beard, don't plan to.)

but hatzlacha!
ktonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

ktonton is, of course, totally incorrect (as you can see for yourself in the above-mentioned sefer).

On a more practical note: applying conditioner to your beard stops the itching.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 06:46 PM   #11
noahidelaws

"strange"?! Feh!! How about a bit of bittul along the lines of "lo zochisi lehovin devorov hakedoshim"?
Unread 02-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

When you have a beard, you are showing everyone clearly that you are a chassidic Jew. You are testifying to G-d's presence in the world.
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

So when a litvak has a beard - he is showing...what?
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
So one a litvak has a beard - he is showing...what?
Apparently, that he is a Chassidic Jew.
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #15
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
So when a litvak has a beard - he is showing...what?
Or maybe that he follows a rav who says that trimming the beard is assur. Or that he thinks he looks nicer with a beard.

Wow, noah....if you think it's strange, and do it anyways- is it sooo bad? If I think it's absolutely nuts to have to- nagid- not learn Greek mythology, but I know that it's considered a"z, and therefore I don't learn it- is that so terrible? (I actually would like to learn it, but won't for the above reason- though I honestly don't understand how horrid it will be if I learn it knowing that it's shtus.)

Unread 02-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #16
a tomim

I heard of a different crisis... Of people born Lubavitch who shave their beard...

I think thats an issue that needs attention NOW!
a tomim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #17
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahidelaws View Post
"strange"?! Feh!! How about a bit of bittul along the lines of "lo zochisi lehovin devorov hakedoshim"?
Actually strange is a pretty normal way to describe a halachic ruling that one does not understand. The Nosei Kelim in Shulchan Aruch frequently use the expression "tomuim" which could be translated as "surprising," or somewhat more loosely as "strange."

And as to the compulsory response "when you're on the level of the nosei kelim of Shulchan Aruch you can use such an expression." I doubt that these great talmedei chachomim, upon whom so many of us rely in trying to keep and understand Hashem's Torah, thought that their accomplishments in learning would justify being any less respectful in asking questions than a simple student might. Granted, some were more respectful than others, but even the Magen David/Taz used the expression "Tomuim" when refering to his father in law the Bach.
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #18
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Quote:
I desagree with MTC's suggestions

IF you decided to follow the TZ TZ, just do it,and you are going to see all the brachot
By all means, don't take my suggestions as a license to do less. Merely as a path to doing more. If I told someone to drink chalav stam when first beginning to keep kosher; that would in no way diminish my support of their immediately keeping chalav yisroel.

With that said, you should talk this over with someone who knows you and all of your personal challenges and together with that person decide the best way to take on this challenge and the best way to succeed.
Unread 02-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #19
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahTovChelkeinu View Post
Actually strange is a pretty normal way to describe a halachic ruling that one does not understand. The Nosei Kelim in Shulchan Aruch frequently use the expression "tomuim" which could be translated as "surprising," or somewhat more loosely as "strange."

And as to the compulsory response "when you're on the level of the nosei kelim of Shulchan Aruch you can use such an expression." I doubt that these great talmedei chachomim, upon whom so many of us rely in trying to keep and understand Hashem's Torah, thought that their accomplishments in learning would justify being any less respectful in asking questions than a simple student might. Granted, some were more respectful than others, but even the Magen David/Taz used the expression "Tomuim" when refering to his father in law the Bach.
This would almost work, if Tomua meant "strange." Similarly, if "tomua" meant alligator, then it would be possible the for prohibition against trimming to be both bottom line halachah, and a reptile indigenous to parts of Florida.

However, since Tomua means "surprising," (which is not the same thing as the perjorative "strange"), your svoroh doesn't work.

Unread 02-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #20
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a tomim View Post
I heard of a different crisis... Of people born Lubavitch who shave their beard...

I think thats an issue that needs attention NOW!
fraction of ppl who don't learn
Unread 02-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #21
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Quote:
However, since Tomua means "surprising," (which is not the same thing as the perjorative "strange"), your svoroh doesn't work.
As I wrote above, strange is a much looser translation than surprising. But, in context, I don't think the "strange" that started this post was meant any more perjoratively than the "tamua" seen often in poskim. Similarly, I doubt any offense is meant when the Magen David says that the Rema was "Lo Midakdik B'dvarov" even though an obvious inference exists.
Unread 02-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #22
noahidelaws

"Strange" has a pejorative sound to it, even if it would be a non-Chossid. It is definitely inappropriate for someone who presents himself as a Chossid.
Unread 02-26-2009, 12:58 AM   #23
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

You're right. Anyone who presents himself as a chossid on this forum should be careful to write respectfully and avoid any perjorative language.
Unread 02-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #24
noahidelaws

... towards the Rebbeim. And when disrespect is shown toward them R"l, it is appropriate to protest forcefully.
Unread 02-26-2009, 03:18 AM   #25
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahTovChelkeinu View Post
By all means, don't take my suggestions as a license to do less. Merely as a path to doing more. If I told someone to drink chalav stam when first beginning to keep kosher; that would in no way diminish my support of their immediately keeping chalav yisroel.
I disagree. Chalav akum is not kosher at all, and causes much harm to he who drinks it- or eats avak chalav nochri. If he doesn't want to keep pas yisrael, or bishul, so be it. Chalav yisrael is not something anyone should compromise on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahidelaws View Post
... towards the Rebbeim. And when disrespect is shown toward them R"l, it is appropriate to protest forcefully.
...towards the Chazon Ish.