Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Halachah & Minhagim

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Unread 04-24-2002, 06:43 PM   #101
Jude
Executive Platinum Member

Here's a sefira recommendation:
There's a new tape which says Chasidishe Otzros on it in Hebrew letters, which is singing only, no music.
They sing niggunim of Bobov, Ger, Skulen, Chabad etc. and harmonize BEAUTIFULLY.
Unread 04-25-2002, 12:24 AM   #102
Lubamessimaniac
Silver Member

Just for general info - the no music tapes on sfira is a chumra. The issur on sfira is something that would cause you to dance. Therefore, playing music loudly is definitely not allowed, but as background music... So, does voices change that any? I think so, but you may hear from some people that they disagree.

There are some people who are machmir during this time not to listen to goyishe music, because, unfortunately during the regular year they listen to it. This is great, but truth be told, there is an issur to listen to goyishe music during the regular year as well! (Bashir al tishtu yayin.) The reason is because of the churban. (That's besides for the general ruchnisdikeh problemos. More on this subject after these messages.
Unread 04-25-2002, 01:06 PM   #103
Jude

Music during sefira is a thread in Minhagim section
Unread 04-25-2002, 04:26 PM   #104
BLewbavitch
Silver Member

BH

In continuation to my (never ending "small") Essay on Music:

"Of all the things that you protect, be the most protective of your mind, for your life depends on It." - Mishle 4:23

Music can sit in your head even when you donít know itĖ how often do you find yourself absent-mindedly humming (or even singing) a tune without even deciding which tune to hum? That doesnít happen with non-musical information. You donít absent-mindedly recite the Menu of your favorite restaurant. Tosfos in Megilla says that if you learn with a melody you will remember what you learn better. Music has such a profound effect on a person, It can reach such high levels, that one may not even realize that they can be thinking, humming or singing it.

(To eventually be continued, maybe )

BLewbavitch

:)"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life.":)
Unread 05-09-2002, 08:03 AM   #105
Lubamessimaniac
Silver Member

An interesting anecdote - in the car today, our driver put on the CD Black Hattitude, a Jewish rap... thing. One bochur was incensed, and his comment was pretty well taken. He said: "This CD was not made for you; it was made for someone who listens to goyishe music to get closer to Jewish music. If it does not have a positive effect on your avoidas Hashem, the it by definition has a negative effect! Once you lower yourself, as a bochur, you have dropped your standards to a much lower level..."

He pointed out a sicha on poiseach al shnay siŪfim, which says basically that a balancing act is worse than willingly doing something wrong, because when you're doing something wrong, at least you KNOW it's wrong and there's a chance you'll stop and do teshiva. Ma sheain kayn when you're ALSO doing frumeh stuff, you fool yourself into thinking that you're still A-Ok...

Where's this sicha? I'm loking for it.
Unread 05-09-2002, 10:44 AM   #106
Jude

Likutei Sichos, vol. 1 Ki Sisa
Unread 05-09-2002, 04:08 PM   #107
Jac
Silver Member

Uh, sefira?? Or is Black Hattitude a niggun too?
Unread 05-09-2002, 11:51 PM   #108
Lubamessimaniac
Silver Member

Uh, good point - suffice it to say that I didn't have any choice in the matter... As I said before, my personal preference is only to listen to niggunim. This Black Hattitude stuff, in all honesty, I don't listen to in the regular year!
Unread 05-11-2002, 11:41 PM   #109
unowho

can i say sumthing from real life its addictive and influences you very bigtime. u guyz have all heard it before but the reason im saying this is b/c it is the only reason i am ion the process of fring out and just wanted to show all u guyz just hoiw bad it really is.
Unread 05-11-2002, 11:58 PM   #110
noahidelaws

BSĒD Goyishe music is permeated with the most animalistic, depraved grobkeit, which is really unimaginable until you are introduced to it.

It is really criminal that the people who compose it go around on two feet. They should go on four.

It is deadly, poisonous, insidious and to a certain extent, irreparable.

At least now you know to keep away, and to warn others to do so as well.

Thanks for your testimony, unowho!

May Hashem give you the strength to overcome this test and bounce back with even greater enthusiasm.

My advice: learn Chassidus.
Unread 05-12-2002, 12:10 AM   #111
unowho

i know its bad doesnt mean i do nething bout it. these pewople that sing it well maybe they shouldnt be on 2 feet but they r also pple. but it is bad escpecially if ur one who listens to words. and sum1 mentioned yehai by chevrah thats the reason i like it cuase it is so dancable.
Unread 05-12-2002, 12:32 AM   #112
noahidelaws

BS"D <<but it is bad escpecially if ur one who listens to words.>>

Yes, the words make it much worse because they stick in your mind and affect the way you think about the opposite gender in an emotionaly way that is very hard to reason with and dispel.

But even without words, the grober (crude) emotions and desires of those goyim are expressed and have their devastating effect on the Yid's neshomo..

<<thats the reason i like it cuase it is so dancable. >>

Yep, that sure is the thing about goyishe music. It really gets the nefesh habehamis going. But there are other healthy ways to satisfy the nefesh habehamis - why not do exercise or go shopping (for kosher stuff of course) or go out with a friend.

The best thing is to get somehow involved in doing some kind of mitsvah/good deed.

Lately there have been groups starting up in the schools with the purpose of doing good deeds for the merit of the Yidden in Erets Yisroel (may Hashem protect them), or raising money for ambulances r"l or the like. Perhaps you could get involved in something like that?

Last edited by noahidelaws; 05-12-2002 at 05:44 AM.
Unread 05-12-2002, 02:29 AM   #113
Clippers Nougat

Thats all very nice to say - go shopping or exercise - but that does not work for everybody - you can't just go tell someone to take care of his/her nefesh habahamis by "transferring" it to something else...
Unread 05-12-2002, 06:14 AM   #114
noahidelaws

BS"D <<you can't just go tell someone to take care of his/her nefesh habahamis by "transferring" it to something else...>>

But isn't that EXACTLY what the Rebbe says in his very first ma'amor (Basi leGani 5711) is the unique avoida (spiritual labour) of this generation - to take the shtus dile'umas ze (i.e. the energy of the animal soul which is focussed on nonsense) and transform it to shtus di'kedusha?

Perhaps if we show, in the appropriate manner, that we expect more of our youth, then they will be more likely to improve and live up to those higher expectations.

Last edited by noahidelaws; 05-13-2002 at 09:36 PM.
Unread 05-13-2002, 08:57 PM   #115
safed770

Thumbs up nice comment

I could agree with ya there -
I was addicted to non jewish music - and thank G-d after years of trying - I got myself out of it completely. I must say - i really feel a great affect in the way I act- speak- and even think-
I say that non Jewish music can really hold you down from getting in touch with the real you. although I do listen to music other than nigunim - I feel that - even if the jewish music isnt considerd so "kosher" - it doesnt drag you down the way non jewish music does.
Unread 05-13-2002, 09:50 PM   #116
noahidelaws

BS"D You are welcome.

Mazel tov at overcoming this addiction!

<<even if the jewish music isnt considerd so "kosher" - it doesnt drag you down the way non jewish music does.>>

Yes, current Jewish music is really harmless compared to the utter grobkeit of goyishe music.
Unread 05-14-2002, 07:18 PM   #117
ChachChach
Gold Member

HOw would you explain the wrongness of it to someone who tells you that goyishe music is not just full of garbage-and thats true. There are beautiful songs out there that really reach out and touch your soul-and they are (technically) 100% clean.

Down with politics!
Unread 05-14-2002, 10:31 PM   #118
noahidelaws

BS"D <<There are beautiful songs out there that really reach out and touch your soul>>

If the songs were composed by gentiles, then they can't possibly have a positive effect on your nefesh ho'elokis, for obvious reasons.

<<-and they are (technically) 100% clean.>>

With all due respect, I beg to differ. According to Tanya chapter 6, anything which does not come from the side of kedusha (holiness) is by definition klippa - a force that inasmuch as it conceals Hashem is inherently negative/evil. Except that those things permitted by Shulchan Aruch can be elevated.

See also Tanya towards the end of ch. 8 where it is explained that receiving from the middos (emotions) of the goyim defiles the middos of ones nefesh elokis r"l. And there it is not even talking about influences which arouse forbidden thoughts/emotions/desires, but "permitted" emotions!
Unread 05-21-2002, 05:51 PM   #119
Shlucha
Silver Member

I don't know if this was addressed b4, b/c I've seen little snipets but not a full thing-What is exactly wrong with Oif Simchos???? I've only been hearing little rumors, but no-one will say it out clear to me. Is it because they take goyish tunes????
Unread 05-22-2002, 02:35 AM   #120
Lubamessimaniac
Silver Member

This is up to personal taste - but IMHO, it's very grub (coarse). As you can see, I'm a Piamenta fan, and Diaspora fan as well, but I think that while they can be wild, they don't approach grubkeit. That may be arguable, tho...
Unread 05-22-2002, 10:41 AM   #121
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

Oif Simchas is a disco band. Nothing more, nothing less, and putting the disco music with some nonsense Hebrew words makes no difference.
Unread 05-22-2002, 09:32 PM   #122
Shlucha
Silver Member

I heard they have a new tape w/ some slow songs, like one from aishes chayil. Is that also considered grub?
Unread 05-22-2002, 09:55 PM   #123
noahidelaws

BS"D I remember how on Shlichus I was visiting the Chabad community school to make Lag Be'Omer activities. Certain Lubavitchers who were in charge of the proceedings started playing that music, and I was DISGUSTED. The guy with the CD player said - "but this is what the kids like, they will have a good time, it will be a positive experience for them..."

Then I see all these little neshomos are running around, you know, chanting in unison, moving their bodies around in suggestive ways...

This was really a challenge to my ahavas Yisroel.
Unread 05-22-2002, 10:05 PM   #124
Shlucha
Silver Member

yes, but like ppl said way early, you can't take kids who are totally frie and just throw them into everything at once. It's too much, and it'll c'v turn them off (I've seen it!). So if you slowly give them Jewish music that's kind of llike the goyish that they are used to listening to (Shlock Rock, Oif Simchos, Piamentas, etc) and then when they become more frum, they can decide if they want to listen to it or not. Besides, it's not mamosh an aveirah to listen to stuff like that, so it would be an individuals decision, right?
Unread 05-22-2002, 10:44 PM   #125
noahidelaws

BS"D Uh, Shlucha, these kids attended this school because they wanted a proper influence. They are not 'totally frie", they davven and learn every day, but they also receive secular influences in school, and even more at home.

And when people who call themselves Shluchim come there, their duty is to send a message loud and clear that a Yid ought to be aidel (refined)!!

This is not a matter of coercion, but simply utilising an opportunity to spread Chassidishkeit and aidelkeit (refinement) in opposition to the constant barrage of goyishkeit that these neshomos suffer!

I mean, it IS supposedly run by Lubavitchers, and the non-Lubavitchers children and their parents know that very well. And on the inside, they don't want to be grob (coarse), they want to be taught to be aidel.

So why not have some rachmonus on their neshomos and give them a taste of aidelkeit? Who knows, they might even like it? And even if they don't, at least you are not reinforcing and approving their interest in grober goyishkeit!!

Have some pride and confidence in another Jew! Play Chassidishe nigunim!!

<<Besides, it's not mamosh an aveirah to listen to stuff like that, so it would be an individuals decision, right?>>

So what? Many things which aren't mammosh an aveiro are toxic for the neshomo, so therefore it's okay?!

Did you see the letter of the Rebbe I posted above? The Rebbe staunchly opposes goyishe "yiddishe" music.
Closed Thread