Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Torah

Unread 03-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Tikunei Zohar, Tikuna Kadmah

בראשית, ב' ראשית, זה השער לה' צדיקים יבאו בו, דא איהו תרעא (נ"א יראה) דצדיקיא, דאית לון רשו לעאלא תמן, (ואחרנין) ודלאו אינון צדיקיא, אתדחיין מתמן, בה רשימין ומצויירין ומתחקקין דיוקנין דעלאין ותתאין, ציורא דאדם רשימא תמן, ואיהו דמות אדם, רשימא דאריה תמן לימינא, ורשימא דשור לשמאלא, ורשימא דנשרא באמצעיתא, ורזא דמלה ודמות פניהם פני אדם, ופני אריה אל הימין לארבעתם וכו', (וארבע אנפין לארבעתם), לכל חייתא ארבע אנפין, אלין ארבע אתוון דשמא קדישא יקו"ק, דנהיר בהון, מלכא דכלהו חיוון דא אדם, דאיהו יו"ד ק"א וא"ו ק"א, דסליק בחושבן חד, דמות אדם דא שכינתא קדישא, דאיהי דיוקניה

The most relevant part of the above I put in green. The T''Z seems to be saying that the 4 faces are related to the four letters of Shem Hvy''h. Fair enough. Groups of 4 tend to be related to Shem Hvy''h. But then it also gives the 4 faces their more traditional roles of Chesed, Gev., T''t, and Mal'. (For what its worth, the Sulam spells all of that out very specifically: Yu''d is the sod [same thing as 'bechinah' in Chassidus, for our purposes] of Chesed, pnei Aryeh, etc.)

So the general rule is that when things are compared to the 4 letters of Shem Hvy''h, they share certain features of those letters*. Chochmah is frequently associated with the Yud, and therefore Chochmah is called a nekudah. Binah is associated with Hei, and Binah is called Hispashtus of the Nekudah of Chochmah (which comports with the shapes of both Yud and Hei). Here, however, Chesed is associated with Yud. Yud normally is the inyan of a nekudah, and Hei is normally the inyan of the hispashtus of the nekudah. But Gevurah is not an hispashtus of Chesed. If anything, Gevurah is more directly related to tzimtzum than Chesed. This is partly why early mekubalim taught that Chochmah was related to Gevurah, rather than Chesed: Chochmah is the tzimtzum of Kesser/Ratzon into a nekudah.

I have some thoughts about this, but I wanted to open the matter up to wiser minds before I gave my own thoughts.

*This is also related to the 4 worlds: Chochmah/Yud is similar to Atzi' in that the Masach between Atzi' and BY''A is greater than the distance between Briyah and Yetzirah, etc. Chochmah is essentially indescribable (like Atzi'). (Its like explaining to someone why you like cheesecake. "I like cheesecake because its good. What makes it good? The fact that I like it; what kind of question is that?"), whereas all of the other sefiros below Chochmah can be phrased in terms of Osyios (I dislike this traffic jam because it is increasing the time it takes to arrive at My Favorite Dessert, where I intend to order a Cheesecake. I like this Ferrari because its great speed will decrease the time it takes to arrive at My Favorite Dessert, etc.). Similarly, the other worlds can be classified as predominantly intellectual, emotional, or natural**.

** Hagoh d'Hagoh, the MR calls Asiyah/Neh''i "Murgash," rather than "Mutvah," so 'natural' is not likely the best translation. But for lack of any better translation...
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshulam View Post
Yud normally is the inyan of a nekudah, and Hei is normally the inyan of the hispashtus of the nekudah.
Where does it say that? In Imrei Binah (and probably other places, but I know things from random sources), Pesach haShaar Ch. 4, דל"ת is the hispashtus.

HG"H: In the interests of full disclosure, I have nothing to say about the nekudas ha-topic itself.
wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
Where does it say that? In Imrei Binah (and probably other places, but I know things from random sources), Pesach haShaar Ch. 4, דל"ת is the hispashtus.
It is stated frequently and in various places. None come to mind offhand. The fact that one letter is called an hispashtus in one context does not indicate that a different letter cannot be called an hispashtus in another. I'll get you some specific sources for Hei if I run across them.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshulam View Post
It is stated frequently and in various places. None come to mind offhand. The fact that one letter is called an hispashtus in one context does not indicate that a different letter cannot be called an hispashtus in another. I'll get you some specific sources for Hei if I run across them.
This is really my answer for the OP -letters stand for different things in different places. In this case, you might say the following (fair warning: this does not use Chabad sources. I think the whole outlook of the sefer is more "Litvish Kabbalah".)
http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx...83&st=&pgnum=6

According to #6 and 7, Chochmah is kind of both.

But as is obvious, I am not really knowledgeable enough to give you a real opinion, just to varf ois half-facts.
wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
danzinger
Executive Member

the pshat would seem to be that chessed and gevurah are offshoots of chochmah and binah in the midot. Just as we refer in our tefilah to Elokei Avraham (relating to chochmah, although Avraham is chessed) Elokei Yitzchak (relating to binah, although Yitzchak is gevurah) etc
Unread 07-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

Light Yud-Heh Nekuda-Hispashtus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
Does anyone learn Chitas here?

Chapter 4 of Igeres Hatshuva:
Quote:
כי היו״ד, שהיא בחינת נקודה לבד, מרמזת לחכמתו ית׳
שהיא בבחינת העלם והסתר קודם שבאה לבחינת התפשטות וגילוי ההשגה וההבנה
והקוץ שעל היו״ד רומז לבחינת רצון העליון ברוך הוא, שלמעלה מעלה ממדרגת בחינת חכמה עילאה כנודע
ואחר שבאה לבחינת התפשטות וגילוי ההשגה וההבנה לעלמין סתימין
נכללת ונרמזת באות ה׳, שיש לה בחינת התפשטות לרוחב, המורה ומרמז על הרחבת הביאור וההבנה
Quote:
The yud, which is a simple point, extending in neither length nor breadth, indicates G‑d’s Wisdom, the Sefirah of Chochmah, which is the state of concealment and obscurity, before it develops into a state of expansion and revelation in comprehension and understanding. When [the seminal “point” of Chochmah] is eventually amplified and revealed as something comprehensible to the concealed worlds, i.e., when it descends to the level and Sefirah of Binah, it is then contained and represented in the letter hei of the Tetragrammaton. This letter extends in breadth, implying a breadth of explanation and understanding, which is the function of Binah.