Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Halachah & Minhagim

Unread 03-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
FlyingAxe
Silver Member

Havdalah for women

Does anyone know what's A"R's view (or the view of later Rabbonim) about the obligation of women to make Havdalah vis-a-vis another men who was yoitzei Havdalah in the shull making it for them and/or women making Havdalah for themselves?

I.e., there is a minority opinion amongst the Rishoinim that women are not obligated to make Havadalah, and therefore it's preferable for them to listen to a man make Havdalah. Someone told me on Motzei Shabbos that this means that if I was yotzei the gabbai making Havdalah in the shull, I cannot make it for my wife anymore (although, presumably, her making her own Havdalah would be even worse then?). But we could not find A"R discussing this issue in his S"A.
FlyingAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
FlyingAxe
Silver Member

Actually, I spoke with someone, and he said that according to Rav Tvardovitch from Kfar Chabad, it is not proper for someone to make a Kiddush or Havdalah for his wife (if he has made them already) if she knows how to read Loshen Koidesh herself. The concept that all Jews are responsible for each other really applies only if the other person doesn't know how to do the mitzva himself; if he does, then it is more appropriate for him to do it. Therefore, Kiddush (or Havdalah) that one makes for his wife is actually brocho l'vatalo.
Unread 03-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
shoyn
Diamond Member

See ARSA 296:19
shoyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
FlyingAxe
Silver Member

OK, thanks. So, seemingly, A"R says there that we should be respectful of the minority opinion, even though the other opinion (that women are obligated to make Havdalah) is the ikkar. Which to me doesn’t seem to make it brocho l’vatolo if the husband makes Havdalah for his wife after he’s been yoitzei Havdalah in the shull, even if she knows how to read LK.
Unread 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Did you see 273:6?
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote