Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Halachah & Minhagim

Unread 11-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #26
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Kedushas Levi has strong words about those who play with playing cards. He says that each one has a specific tumah, but then he doesn't give any further explanation. He must be referring to something. Does anybody know what sefer he is referring to? Or otherwise, does anyone know what is the tumah of each card?
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #27
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

In order to know what sefer he is referring to, one must see the referring sefer. It is touching that you assume that we all have the same bekius in KL as you, but for those among us that don't, a reference would have been most helpful...

You need a specific list of "tumas"?
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #28
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Ooh, its been a few years since I've looked on the inside. I'll try to get it before Shabbos. But if I remember correctly, its in the section on Channukah, accompanying a suggestion that children not gamble with dreidels on Channukah.
Unread 11-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #29
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

I found the piece. He refers to no sefer.

Last edited by Torah613; 11-26-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Unread 11-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #30
mothemilitant

heres the quote from the kedusha levi it can be found in the bottom left side http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx...9&st=&pgnum=48

the aruch hashulchan also has some very sharp word against it but i cant seem to find them right now it is somewhere in hilchos chanuka
Unread 11-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #31
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
I found the peice. He refers to no sefer.
Right. That's what I remember. Do you (or anybody else) know what he is referring to? Is that statement a reference to another statement in a different sefer?
Unread 11-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #32
cbd101

Lightbulb

kedushas levi page "chuf vov" is where he speaks about it and if i rememer correctly last chanuka in yeshiva when it was disscussed i think it was the aruch hashulchan which said some very storng things about it
i dont have one in front of me so i cant check nut if im not mistaken he uused even sharper leshonos than reb levi yitzchak
cbd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #33
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothemilitant View Post
heres the quote from the kedusha levi it can be found in the bottom left side http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx...9&st=&pgnum=48

the aruch hashulchan also has some very sharp word against it but i cant seem to find them right now it is somewhere in hilchos chanuka
The Mishna Brura speaks about it.
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #34
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

In Lma'an Yishme'u, they wrote the following story:

Quote:
One Chanukah, a group of chassidim traveled to see the Chozeh of Lublin. One of them handed the Rebbe a פ"נ on which was written his friend's name, and when the tzaddik looked on the note, he spat. Later the same evening, the chossid decided to try giving the note again. This time, as soon as the tzaddik saw it, he said, "This man illuminates all the worlds!" He then added, "When I first saw the פ"נ, that man was playing cards; this time he is lighting his menorah."
(ספורים חסדים זוין מועדים ע' 286)*
Unread 03-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #35
HodofHod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothemilitant View Post
That link is to the wrong page, in addition it appears that at least one of the pages is missing or out of order.

Anyway, here's a link to a better, clearer print: http://www.hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager....6&st=&pgnum=51

Bottom of the right column. The card part starts with the word "ובפרט". The line starts with "מתורתו".
HodofHod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #36
FlyingAxe
Silver Member

Quote:
There are many other issues with cards, but the main one is that the figures are church and Xtian figures.
Such as king, queen, or bishop? Oh wait, wrong game... which Rebbeim played. (Although, I have to say, in Russian, the bishop is called "officer" or "elephant". Probably changed under the communists.)
FlyingAxe is offline   Reply With Quote