Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Torah

Unread 02-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
GamaH

Elisha's Prophecy in II Kings 3:19

I know this falls under Nevi'im rather than Torah, but this category is as close as it gets; I'm not sure where else to post this.

Anyway, I have a question about the prophecy Elisha made in the 2nd book of Kings 3:19. (Concerning Mo'av) it states:
"You shall smite every fortified city, and every choice city and shall fell every good tree, and stop all wells of water, and mar every good piece of land with stones."

However, in the following verses, while Yisrael, Yehuda and Edom did succeed in beating Mo'av for the most part, II Kings 3:26 - 27 states that:
"When the king of Mo'av saw that the battle was too hard for him, he took with him seven hundred swordsmen, to break through to the king of Edom: but they could not. Then he took his eldest son that should have reigned in his stead, and offered him for a burnt offering upon the wall. And there was a great indignation against Yisrael: and they departed from him, and returned to their own land."

So according to II Kings 3:27, doesn't that mean that Elisha's prophecy about Yisrael/Yehuda/Edom having a complete victory didn't come to pass entirely?

I guess my question is this: when a prophet of Hashem states that something will come to pass, that something always comes to pass. However, in this case it seems as though it was only fulfilled 99%. I could have misunderstood Elisha's prophecy to begin with, but any attempts to look further into this, have only turned up secular sources attempting to challenge the veracity of the Tanakh itself, and as such cannot seriously considered.

Another (minor) question I had (which is unrelated to the prophecy, but concerns the same verses) is that Radak states that the line "Then he took his eldest son that should have reigned in his stead, and offered him for a burnt offering upon the wall" is referring to the eldest son of the king of Edom. However, based on the way the sentence is written ("he took his eldest son that should have reigned in his stead"), I understood it to mean that Mesha sacrificed his own son (the Moabite crown prince) as a burnt offering, rather than Edom's son. Which is it? Mesha's own son or the king of Edom's?
GamaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

The instructions or predictions of verse 19 are fulfilled in verse 25.
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Verse 26 mentions the kings of moav and edom. So verse 27 can easily refer to either's son (and especially to edom's son, since the edom king was mentioned last in verse 26).

There are different opinions among the meforshim about whose son it was.

The argument about whose son it was, is like any argument in Torah, where we say, "Eilu voeilu divrei Elokim Chaim" (both opinions are the words of Hashem).
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote