Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Halachah & Minhagim

Unread 03-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
aaron benjamin

vegetables and coffee

Are there any cases when it may be permissible to eat vegetables or drink tea etc. in dishes that may not be kosher etc.? Also, is coffee sold in restaraunts such as Starbucks or other similar places kosher?
aaron benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Talk to a good Rov.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
aaron benjamin

I asked the Rav about the vegetables already and he said that I should not eat them if the keiliim are not kosher. My reason for raising the question again here is to see if there may be some exceptions to the rule, such as using glass which does not absorb etc. Regarding the coffee I am planning to ask him about it next time I see him B"H.
Unread 03-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Coffee cannot be generalized. A lot of the starbucks brand coffee is kosher, as far as I've seen, but one still needs to check for a reliable heksher. If you are buying a hot cup at a store, you have a lot more issues, particularly if the establishment also sells food items.

If you want to eat cold, dry carrots or the like off of a clean, dry plate which happens to be treif, I don't see why you are eating food which is unkosher mamash. With that said, there are still issues and you should speak to your Rav.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
aaron benjamin

What kind of issues could there be with regards to the coffee?
Unread 03-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Well, coffee is hot (and liquid), so you have to be a lot concerned with kelim where it is served and prepared.

Also, my understanding is that there are various additives in a lot of coffee. Any time you have additives, you have kashrus questions.
Unread 03-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
FlyingAxe
Silver Member

I have heard from someone who has read an article on one of the Jewish blogs/news sites that the problem with Starbucks coffee is that Starbucks has recently started selling treif meat. Now, theoretically, the parts of the coffee urns/makers that are washed should not be done so in the same washing basin as the treif fleischig keilim, but one worker of Starbucks commented that in her branch, they are in fact washed together. So, every Starbucks place which serves meat is now suspect.

The kiosks in the airports, etc., that serve only coffee are not, according to this person.
FlyingAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
aaron benjamin

Thank you for the comments... I just asked my Rav and was told that for me - in general all regular coffee is OK from wherever it comes.
Unread 03-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

AB - Then that's who you should listen to. Notice that my post and Flying Axe both use words like "suspect" rather than treif to describe the coffee. A Rav will know these issues and will know what the best plan is for you right now. If you want to get a firm yes or no, and get the best advice possible, you should keep doing exactly what you are doing - which is ask a Rav.
Unread 03-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAxe View Post
I have heard from someone who has read an article on one of the Jewish blogs/news sites that the problem with Starbucks coffee is...
Last month, Collive.com wrote an article about coffees sold at Starbucks. You can read it here.