Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Teenagers

Unread 05-02-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
EveryLeaf

Help me stop

I've been watching movies on Youtube on my cellphone. Help me stop- please.

Thank you,
EveryLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Get rid of the cellphone.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

change your smartphone or Iphone, for a feature phone, you stil can get emails
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Kookoo Kabalist
Executive Member

Look at the bill.

If you're paying for an internet/data plan, stop.

If not, consider the payments your parents will have to shoulder.
Kookoo Kabalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #5
danzinger
Executive Member

According to the Ba'al Shem Tov, every process of tikun (repair, rectification) that we undergo must follow through three stages: submission (hachna'ah), separation (havdalah) and sweetening (hamtakah).
In your case, the first stage is to quit "cold turkey" by submitting your will to Hashem's will and immersing yourself in Torah study.
Once you have begun that, the stage of havdalah begins. You need to clarify for yourself what it is that you are lacking spiritually that makes you find those films fulfilling on a physical/emotional level. This stage is best accomplished by talking things over with a mashpia (a mentor) or a close friend or relative.
The stage of sweetening appears when, as a result of your avoda (serving Hashem) the spiritual need that you were erroneously trying to satisfy by watching films, is satisfied by the level of spirituality that your Divine soul was searching for all the time and you no longer feel at all drawn to be duped by the pseudo-satisfaction that you find in those films.
(The ideas brought here are explained in detail in the book "Transforming Darkness into Light" by Rabbi Yitzchak Ginsburgh, shlit"a)
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Consider the lasting negative consequences such act can have on your soul, while the "benefit" and the "enjoyment" are only for the moment you're committing the act. So it's not worth to be reproduced again.

And the more effective solution is to get rid of your cellphone if you know that the temptation is too strong, or to have a cellphone which does not have a video reader.
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
EveryLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzinger View Post
According to the Ba'al Shem Tov, every process of tikun (repair, rectification) that we undergo must follow through three stages: submission (hachna'ah), separation (havdalah) and sweetening (hamtakah).
In your case, the first stage is to quit "cold turkey" by submitting your will to Hashem's will and immersing yourself in Torah study.
Once you have begun that, the stage of havdalah begins. You need to clarify for yourself what it is that you are lacking spiritually that makes you find those films fulfilling on a physical/emotional level. This stage is best accomplished by talking things over with a mashpia (a mentor) or a close friend or relative.
The stage of sweetening appears when, as a result of your avoda (serving Hashem) the spiritual need that you were erroneously trying to satisfy by watching films, is satisfied by the level of spirituality that your Divine soul was searching for all the time and you no longer feel at all drawn to be duped by the pseudo-satisfaction that you find in those films.
(The ideas brought here are explained in detail in the book "Transforming Darkness into Light" by Rabbi Yitzchak Ginsburgh, shlit"a)
Thanks Danzinger, I was looking and waiting to hear something like this...
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
EveryLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzinger View Post
I know precisely why I watched films on YouTube... it was a catch 22. I was watching as a means of escape. I didn't want to think about my life- so would enter somebody else's (and unlike a book- no mental energy is required). I only watched when I felt really, really down. So even if I told myself that I shouldn't, that it's an aveirah- at that point I didn't care...