Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > General

Unread 05-07-2016, 02:05 AM   #1
carter

Note conversion questions

Dear Community,

My name is Carter and I just want to say I am fully, innerly convicted to convert to Judaism. Although it has been going on 8 months in contacting the rabbi here in Singapore with no luck/receptiveness, Judaism is still too beautiful to give up. Despite the discouragement and feeling discouraged, the emphasis of action to imbed in our character traits of compassion and righteousness to perfect the human relationship we have with our fellows is undeniably amazing. The guidelines of the faith that lead us in every aspect of our lives is what life truly should be. Every type of interaction with our fellows is completely laid out by the Torah. It is really an authentically exciting way of life.

I have looked up the Noachide laws, if youre wondering, but I can only follow these laws inwardly with my heart, mind, and soul. Although I can consciously not steal, murder, and not eat of a live animal, and although in these seven laws I can find G-d, without Halacha, the action, doing the mitzvahs, adhering to all the laws relating to charity, slander, revenge, deceit, work, wages, treatment of animals, justice, and doing the acts of kindness and justice, the inwardness loses its substance. As the book To Be a Jew puts it: By inwardness alone we do not come close to G-d. The purest intentions, the finest of devotion, the noblest spiritual aspirations are fatuous when not realized in action.

I want to fill my life up with action. I want to be an orthodox Jew.

With that being said, Im still confused by a few things. Any and all help is appreciated.

Does a Chabad house/center serve the same functions as a synagogue?

Will I only be considered a serious candidate for conversion if Im willing to move to an orthodox community?

Are Modern Orthodox conversions considered authentic?

Thanks for all your help

Sincerely,

Carter
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #2
rebyoel

Hi Carter,

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
Does a Chabad house/center serve the same functions as a synagogue?
Yes, but it's more than that. In each location a Chabad Center aims to fill gaps in religious services for the community.

Quote:
Will I only be considered a serious candidate for conversion if Im willing to move to an orthodox community?
As a rule yes. If you are too far from a religious community, the chances are slim that you'll actually be able to live a religious lifestyle.

Quote:
Are Modern Orthodox conversions considered authentic?
It depends on the Beth Din. Some have a good reputation are considered authentic by all, and some might questionable. If you have a specific conversion center in mind, I might be able to look it up.
rebyoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
carter

First of all, thank you so much for replying! Now I do not know if this is a conversion center per se, but this is the only Modern Orthodox center in West Houston from what the internet tells me. Here's the website http://www.uosh.org/. It is the United Orthodox Synagogues of Houston.

That being said, some tell me its better to start with Modern Orthodox before jumping right into Chassidim, but I'm not sure. There are many chabad houses/centers in West Houston (about 6). Would you agree with the advice given, start with Modern Orthodox before jumping into Chassidim? Personally it sounds like a good place to start, and if I want to begin living an even more pious life, I have that option. I just need a place to start my journey. My end goal would be to live a hasidic lifestyle, but like I said I need a place to start. I still attend a secular college but this will most likely change once I consult the rabbi here in Singapore.

Again, thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
rebyoel

In general, there are only a few centers in the US that deal with Orthodox authentic conversion, and it's hard to know what's best for you without meeting you in person - most probably no matter which synagogue you start with in Houston, you'll be referred to the same place for conversion. So if I were you I'd contact both Chabad and modern-orthodox and see who is more willing to help you.
rebyoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2016, 08:32 AM   #5
IshKoton

I recommend not starting off with a compromised yiddishkeit, go for the full authentic life straight away. You do not want to unlearn things, and it would put you back a few years by doing so.
So go to a place with a large frum society and get it right first time!
I know of a man who went through conversion three times until he got to a Bais Din who were acceptable to everyone in the world.
If you are going to do anything try to get it correct first time!
IshKoton is offline   Reply With Quote