Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > General > Current

Unread 10-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Zvi

Why so many more bakeries than gyms in observant neighborhoods ?

Whenever I visit Crown Heights, Boro park, South Williamsburg, and other observant communities, I'm struck by the fact that there many bakeries and virtually no (or maybe absolutely no) gyms.

I'm not aware of any halachic reason why gyms should not be used.

Why are gyms, and health consciousness not more part of traditional Jewish culture ? And why are bakeries and the sugary unhealthy junk they sell such a well engrained part of our communities ?
Zvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

People have to eat. People can excersize anywhere.
I never knew that non-Jewish neighborhoods have less eateries. Fascinating.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Zvi

I specifically said "bakeries", not eateries. People do not need to eat cakes, donuts, cup cakes etc
Unread 10-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

It's a general question: Why is physical health and fitness apparently less emphasized in the frum world? Many in the secular world will go on "morning jogs"; how many do something similar in the frum world?
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvi View Post
I specifically said "bakeries", not eateries. People do not need to eat cakes, donuts, cup cakes etc
Yes, because they buy their baked goods in the local supermarket. Frum people can't, so they have seperate bakeries.
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahidelaws View Post
It's a general question: Why is physical health and fitness apparently less emphasized in the frum world? Many in the secular world will go on "morning jogs"; how many do something similar in the frum world?
Quite a few (though having to work around תפילה בציבור, שיערום etc). At least where I live.
Unread 10-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #7
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
Quite a few (though having to work around תפילה בציבור, שיערום etc). At least where I live.
Maybe so, but is that the norm in the general community, and even for those who do so, is it because they were encouraged to do so by some sort of emphasis that the community places upon it, or because of their own personal initiative?
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

I would assume not much different from the world at large. In the end of the day, it boils down to personal choices - some do, some don't, I know chassidishe yidden who use treadmills (while learning...) etc.
I have no statistics. But banning bakeries - is downright silly. People have a right to make choices.
Unread 10-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
Zvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
I would assume not much different from the world at large. In the end of the day, it boils down to personal choices - some do, some don't, I know chassidishe yidden who use treadmills (while learning...) etc.
I have no statistics. But banning bakeries - is downright silly. People have a right to make choices.
Of course bakeries can't be banned, but that doesn't mean that healthier options shouldn't be promoted. As I understand it, the body is the property of Hashem, when we eat fatty sugary junk we are abusing the property we have borrowed from Hashem.
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

So promote them. Who is stopping anyone from doing so?
Unread 02-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
Zvi

I guess I was wondering if theres a market for it. Seeing that there aren't any already existing gyms in these neighborhoods, while they're widespread in secular areas, I thought it was worth researching.

Thank you for your posts on this.
Unread 03-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
ari-free

Jews need to have challa for every Shabbos. And with that meal comes dessert. So you have a constant demand for bakeries.

Everyone else gets by with Wonder Bread and McDonalds on weekends. The traditional and formal Sunday dinner is mostly a thing of the past.

On the other hand if you look at France, people go to the bakery to buy bread every single day. They are also proud of their pastry. But you don't find such a problem with weight.
ari-free is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
Zvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari-free View Post
Jews need to have challa for every Shabbos. And with that meal comes dessert. So you have a constant demand for bakeries.

Everyone else gets by with Wonder Bread and McDonalds on weekends. The traditional and formal Sunday dinner is mostly a thing of the past.

On the other hand if you look at France, people go to the bakery to buy bread every single day. They are also proud of their pastry. But you don't find such a problem with weight.

That makes sense, well except for why dessert needs to come from a bakery, I mean why not serve fruit instead of fattening up one's family and guests lol ?

We need bakeries, ok, but we don't need health ?