Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Teenagers

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 08-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
HeyHello
Junior Member
 
HeyHello's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 28
Igros and letters

Hey everyone! yesterday I put a letter in the igros but i dont know what it says beacause i dont know hebrew that well. does anyone here mind to translate what it says? its in chelek yud aleph page tzadik daled.
Thanx much!
HeyHello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member
 
Majorthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,615
What did you write about?
__________________
!חסידים איין משפחה
One big happy family!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
HeyHello
Junior Member
 
HeyHello's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 28
I wrote about the things i did this summer, camp with frum kids and non frum kids. Also about a shluchim's kids program that i will be working at IY"H. I requested brochos for 1)a refuah shleimah for someone 2)a shidduch for someone 3) myself to have success in the coming school year etc..
why do you ask?

Last edited by HeyHello; 08-26-2008 at 04:01 PM.
HeyHello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
lchaimnow
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31
A free translation.

[PAGE 94]

(Continuation of Letter # 3477)

It pleases me to receive information about your visit to the school at Minchah, which made a good impression on the students. If only you would listen to my words and make such visits on more regular occasions ...

May it be the will [of G-d] that at least from now on they will act thusly, and the Blessed G-d shall help them succeed.
With blessings for good news in all the above,

[Signature]

Letter # 3478

B"H 13 Iyyar 5715 Brooklyn.

To the presidium of the Zeirei Agudat Chabad in Jerusalem, the Holy City, may it be rebuilt. G-d be upon them, may they live.

Greetings and blessings!

It is somewhat astonishing that they stopped sending their letters regarding the continuation of the good deeds, which definitely took advantage of the month of Nissan - for, according to the statement of our Sages, of blessed memory (Berachot 57a), "Miraculous miracles were done therein" - for the spreading of the wellsprings outward and also for instruction and practice of the teachings of Chassidut. Certainly, they will be completed at the nearest possible time.

Regarding that which they wrote about the night Yeshivah, it is my hope that the Chassid, Rabbi (etc.) Shmuel Menachem Mendel (may he live) passed on the essence of my letter to him [see Igrot Kodesh, # 3448], for he is also concerned with this question. But for the honor and the love of maintaining order I will repeat and restate it here, and that is as follows:

It is not good for the sake of their holy endeavors that which they divide the issues so much, and each activity receives a new name and style, etc. Now, although there is a purpose in this - for the sake of the jealousy of the Torah scholars [which increases Torah study], and that the one who serves at the head of an individual organization has more of a feeling of responsibility - but the benefit is lost in the negative result. For there are many things that are in the level of being "a candle to one, a candle to one hundred" [i.e., that the existence of a single source of light influences many]. In this case, increasing the sources is a waste of effort in their duplication and the purpose of the endeavor is not achieved so much - since each one does not make known the particulats to his friend, and each matter needs a different presidium, etc., etc. Thus, it is my advice that at the earliest

[PAGE 95]

occasion they should make a gathering to convene all of the workers in all the branches of their works, without diminishing the honor or prestige of anyone, and arrange the activities in a manner of perfect correspondance with the various branches. [The letter continues on this topic at some length.]
lchaimnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member
 
Majorthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,615
Where did you find those translations?
__________________
!חסידים איין משפחה
One big happy family!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
lchaimnow
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31
It's my own translation.

The Hebrew text can be found at www.otzar770.com.
lchaimnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member
 
Majorthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,615
Yasher koach.
I had no patience to translate.
__________________
!חסידים איין משפחה
One big happy family!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #8
HeyHello
Junior Member
 
HeyHello's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 28
LechaimNow, thank you very much! now how does finding answers go/work?
HeyHello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 11,716
First you have to fast for 40 days.
But I don't understand what more you are looking for.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
FlyingAxe
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 607
If somebody is interested in the Rebbe's opinion about something, why does it make sense to randomly put a note in the Igros, and then try to interpret an answer, which may or may not be obviously applicable, rather than actually look what the Rebbe wrote on this topic or answered to a similar question?

Actually, is there a keyword search on Otzar or similar places? Let's say I have a question about shidduch and want to see if the Rebbe said anything on the specific question regarding shidduch that I have, can I make a search for "shidduch" (in Hebrew or English) and see what comes up?
FlyingAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member
 
Majorthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,615
What?
Do you mean researching the subject, or asking the Rebbe about a specific shidduch?
I would not advise the latter, just based on personal experience.
Last year, every single letter that I looked at- meaning every single time I looked in Igrot- it had either a three-line bracha for a shidduch, or something else on the topic. Not once did I write concerning that subject, as it was not applicable. Moral is- don't rely on Igrot, because lav davka will it answer anything.
__________________
!חסידים איין משפחה
One big happy family!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
lchaimnow
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31
Perhaps the Rebbe's message was that it should be nogeia ...
lchaimnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #13
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member
 
Meshulam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorthinker View Post
What?
Do you mean researching the subject, or asking the Rebbe about a specific shidduch?
I would not advise the latter, just based on personal experience.
Last year, every single letter that I looked at- meaning every single time I looked in Igrot- it had either a three-line bracha for a shidduch, or something else on the topic. Not once did I write concerning that subject, as it was not applicable. Moral is- don't rely on Igrot, because lav davka will it answer anything.
I'm not getting involved in this debate, other than to point out that the fact that the Rebbe seems very interested in a subject that apparently you are not interested in is not evidence that putting letters in the Igros doesn't work.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member
 
Majorthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,615
Well, that depends on what the definition of 'work' is.
If the definition is to answer the question referred to in the letter, then no, it does not always work.
If, of course, your definition of Igrot 'working' is something else, then feel free to let me know.
__________________
!חסידים איין משפחה
One big happy family!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
Returning
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorthinker View Post
Well, that depends on what the definition of 'work' is.
If the definition is to answer the question referred to in the letter, then no, it does not always work.
If, of course, your definition of Igrot 'working' is something else, then feel free to let me know.
BS"D

It can just mean that in looking for advice on one topic, or stam by browsing through random Igros as I once did (and online at that) you can get answers to questions or solutions to problems that are connected to you but are not what you are looking for at the moment.

I used to get depressed when it rains; now I still sometimes oversleep because of the cloudy skies, but after reading and internalizing a letter from the Igros that I found online about geshem siman brocho (and which was not a response to any question), I davka go out for a walk in the rain (barring electrical storms or flooding) and I find it invigorating.
Returning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #16
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 11,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAxe View Post
If somebody is interested in the Rebbe's opinion about something, why does it make sense to randomly put a note in the Igros, and then try to interpret an answer,
You are right. It doesn't.
Quote:
which may or may not be obviously applicable, rather than actually look what the Rebbe wrote on this topic or answered to a similar question?

Actually, is there a keyword search on Otzar or similar places? Let's say I have a question about shidduch and want to see if the Rebbe said anything on the specific question regarding shidduch that I have, can I make a search for "shidduch" (in Hebrew or English) and see what comes up?
Sure. And you have whole books about the issue of shidduch.
A search for "igros" will turn up numerous threads discussing this issue. For example: http://chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=1010.
As far as the original poster, we have an amazing sight: Everything he/she wrote about was dealt with in the letter opened to!
Camp with kids - the letter dealt with chinuch and schools.
Program with shliach's kids - ditto.
Sucess for coming school year - blessings for good news.
Refuah shleimah for someone - included in blessings for good news.
Shidduch - now you actually have a name - look for someone named Menachem Mendel.
Amazing!

Last edited by Torah613; 08-26-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #17
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member
 
Majorthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,615
Pretty cool. But don't look for someone named Menachem Mendel, because your bashert could be named Shmuel, Levi Yitzchak, or Betzalel, for all you know.
Igrot is Igrot, but don't take it to the extreme.

Then again, you could have someone claim that they got a bracha from the Rebbe, because at the end of the letter there's a line that says '...b'surot tovot', and at the beginning, 'b'racha v'hatzlacha'. So you could find something anywhere....
__________________
!חסידים איין משפחה
One big happy family!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #18
FlyingAxe
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 607
Quote:
Do you mean researching the subject, or asking the Rebbe about a specific shidduch?
I would not advise the latter, just based on personal experience.
You have a personal negative experience of asking the Igros on the question of shidduch or the Rebbe? (I know what you probably meant, but it sounded like the latter... )

Quote:
Sure. And you have whole books about the issue of shidduch.
I used shidduch as an example. I mean I want to see what the Rebbe thought about a topic X and unfortunately don't have encyclopedic knowledge of the Rebbe's writing (to put it mildly), so, how do I search for it? Sometimes there are not very obvious topics which one cannot immediately search.

When I was in yeshiva, I was interested in what the Rebbe wrote on bechira. I asked someone, and he said, "Yes, there are hundreds of sichos/letters in which the Rebbe talks on bechira and ratzon -- it was his favorite topic". I went back to the shelf and could find only the famous sicha on Rambam's treatment of bechira and the famous Purim ma'amor. Then I asked a mashpia, and he gave me a few more ma'amorim to read, but I was wondering if I could just type in "bechira" (in Hebrew or English) somewhere and have a list of sichos or letters from Igros that mention it -- just like you search on a forum. Sorry if this is a naive question.
FlyingAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #19
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member
 
Majorthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAxe View Post
You have a personal negative experience of asking the Igros on the question of shidduch or the Rebbe? (I know what you probably meant, but it sounded like the latter... )
I did not ask about shidduchim. The letter I opened to was on shidduchim. The question was one on a completely different topic. The topics I write about usually do not include shidduchim, unless I am asking for a bracha for someone else, which was not the case.
I said what I did to point out that many of the answers one will receive are unrelated to the topic written about, and thus, one cannot depend on Igrot for a reliable answer. I hope that that is clearer now.
Quote:
I used shidduch as an example. I mean I want to see what the Rebbe thought about a topic X and unfortunately don't have encyclopedic knowledge of the Rebbe's writing (to put it mildly), so, how do I search for it? Sometimes there are not very obvious topics which one cannot immediately search.
Look in the index of any volume of Igrot, and the 'index' volume of LS. You should find enough references there to last you a while.
Quote:
When I was in yeshiva, I was interested in what the Rebbe wrote on bechira. I asked someone, and he said, "Yes, there are hundreds of sichos/letters in which the Rebbe talks on bechira and ratzon -- it was his favorite topic". I went back to the shelf and could find only the famous sicha on Rambam's treatment of bechira and the famous Purim ma'amor. Then I asked a mashpia, and he gave me a few more ma'amorim to read, but I was wondering if I could just type in "bechira" (in Hebrew or English) somewhere and have a list of sichos or letters from Igros that mention it -- just like you search on a forum. Sorry if this is a naive question.
There is a CD, AFAIK, which includes all this stuff, so that you can do a comprehensible search on the computer. Sadly, I do not know what the name of this CD is, nor do I know where you would be able to get it.
In the meantime, I will continue to annoy T613 with my knowledge minus the sources. One day I'll be as encyclopedic as that CD, IY"H. Then you can ask me all the questions you want.
__________________
!חסידים איין משפחה
One big happy family!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #20
HeyHello
Junior Member
 
HeyHello's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
As far as the original poster, we have an amazing sight: Everything he/she wrote about was dealt with in the letter opened to!
Camp with kids - the letter dealt with chinuch and schools.
Program with shliach's kids - ditto.
Sucess for coming school year - blessings for good news.
Refuah shleimah for someone - included in blessings for good news.
Shiddush - now you actually have a name - look for someone named Menachem Mendel.
Amazing!
That is pretty kool but i think the shidduch part is a bit extreme.
I guess thats another thing a Mashpia should help you with; understanding the iggros... the translation of the letter was a bit deep and confusing but i didnt get the feeling that the rebbe was pleased, am I wrong?
HeyHello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #21
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member
 
Majorthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,615
When I read through the letter, I got the feeling that the Rebbe was not pleased, but wanted- and expected- more. Perhaps disappointed is the word. Now it's up to you to decide if the Rebbe was pleased, and if not, why. But again, you're dealing with Igrot, which is not necessarily the most reliable.
__________________
!חסידים איין משפחה
One big happy family!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #22
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 11,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAxe View Post
You have a personal negative experience of asking the Igros on the question of shidduch or the Rebbe? (I know what you probably meant, but it sounded like the latter... )

I used shidduch as an example. I mean I want to see what the Rebbe thought about a topic X and unfortunately don't have encyclopedic knowledge of the Rebbe's writing (to put it mildly), so, how do I search for it? Sometimes there are not very obvious topics which one cannot immediately search.

When I was in yeshiva, I was interested in what the Rebbe wrote on bechira. I asked someone, and he said, "Yes, there are hundreds of sichos/letters in which the Rebbe talks on bechira and ratzon -- it was his favorite topic". I went back to the shelf and could find only the famous sicha on Rambam's treatment of bechira and the famous Purim ma'amor. Then I asked a mashpia, and he gave me a few more ma'amorim to read, but I was wondering if I could just type in "bechira" (in Hebrew or English) somewhere and have a list of sichos or letters from Igros that mention it -- just like you search on a forum. Sorry if this is a naive question.
Otzar770 has a search engine. So have other sites.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #23
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 11,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorthinker View Post
Pretty cool. But don't look for someone named Menachem Mendel, because your bashert could be named Shmuel, Levi Yitzchak, or Betzalel, for all you know.
Igrot is Igrot, but don't take it to the extreme.
Story of the woman of an well placed CH family (who will go unnamed - for obvious reasons) who pushed a shidduch on her daughter based on a name on the page in Igros that it opened up to.
[Unfortunately, the young couple were not keilim for the brochos, as the marriage did not last long...].
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #24
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member
 
Majorthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,615
Were they matim for each other?
__________________
!חסידים איין משפחה
One big happy family!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #25
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 11,716
I have no idea.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many Letters are there in The Tanach King David Torah 37 04-27-2007 03:21 AM
sofit letters Kapote Chassidus 5 11-14-2005 02:57 AM
Igros Kodesh - The Rebbe's Letters qwert Lubavitch Minhagim 52 08-15-2005 05:17 PM
Boruch Hashem in Letters Chabad-Yudele The Rebbe’s Talks & Writings 22 08-29-2004 07:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2016 ChabadTalk.com