Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Teenagers

Unread 05-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #26
a tomim

Yes. But I was trying to help you. And, no, I didn't know your backround as you just said...
a tomim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #27
Returning
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******** View Post
hey, this is probably a really stupid question, is it an aveira to get drunk, i dont think it is coz of all the yomtovs that we are encouraged to drink, but yeah is it an aveira?
The Shtus deKlipa states that only those who are able to consume fifty grams (a shotglass) of 96% alcohol per 5 kilograms (about 11 pounds) of body weight and remain sober are allowed to become intoxicated.
Returning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #28
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning View Post
The Shtus deKlipa states that only those who are able to consume fifty grams (a shotglass) of 96% alcohol per 5 kilograms (about 11 pounds) of body weight and remain sober are allowed to become intoxicated.
The Friediker Rebee stated very clearly that Chassidim should never get intoxicated. His language is very strong about this matter. The Rebbe, to my knowledge, never said otherwise.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 03:27 AM   #29

what about on purim and simchas torah, isnt it a mitzvah to get drunk then?
Unread 06-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #30
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

No mitzvah at all to get drunk on Simchas Torah. Even Purim...
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #31
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
what about on purim and simchas torah, isnt it a mitzvah to get drunk then?
Not only is there no mitzvah to get drunk on Simchas Torah, there is no minhog, or inyan to do so either. The fact that some people make bahamos of themselves on that day does not make the practice Torah m'Sinai.

As for Purim, as T6 began to indicate, it is not necessary to get drunk on that day either (and for sure not for a girl, or a woman... in fact, I'll be clear about this: a woman should never get drunk, and probably should not drink all that much at all). I know the Gemarra and you don't have to repeat it to me. Suffice it to say that many Roshei Yeshiva (yes, even in Chabad... being a Chosid of the Rebbe does not give you a free pass to make you an idiot out of yourself) have expressed their shock and skepticism regarding this pracice among bochurim (and sadly, amongst married men as well) to drink themselves stupid on Purim. They have requested that people choose one of the other various options that are open to one who actually wants to be mikayim the mitzvah of ad d'lo yada: going to sleep, etc.
Unread 06-04-2008, 12:57 AM   #32

meshulam, when arguing your point I'd prefer it if you didn't put me down while doing it
Unread 06-04-2008, 02:35 AM   #33
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
meshulam, when arguing your point I'd prefer it if you didn't put me down while doing it
A.) I was not arguing a point. I was stating facts.
B.) I did not put you down.

"Methinks she doth protest too much."
Unread 06-04-2008, 04:43 AM   #34
Returning
Banned

Quote:
As with many people who are wrong (I remember when the Rebbe spoke in a mildly mocking way about those who chose to go to sleep - meaning those who did not do very much in the Purim spirit - on Purim 5751 which was very quiet indeed in CH) [***]
Pay him no heed.

However, it is not a good thing to get drunk if you are underage or cannot control yourself. Aveira in itself - not sure - but you risk committing several aveiros.

Purim - the mitzvah is there but if you are underage or cannot control yourself (ie you get violent or irritable) - you should not get drunk. Drinking on Simchas Torah - that is a minhag shtus, not halacha, but everyone does it anyway.
Returning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #35
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

[***] I merely quoted the various piskei dinim and pashkvillen that Chabad Rabbonim, amongst others, had signed regarding this matter. [***]