Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Teenagers

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Unread 05-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #26
Eitan770
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 69
I just interviewed there today. It's a great Yeshiva, and they have a very nice Kahal there in Squirrell Hill.
Eitan770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #27
ktonton
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 684
Lubavitch yeshiva in CH also has a secular curriculum for its highschoolers. . . I took my regents through them.

Last I checked the only (american) highschool yeshiva I know of that doesn't have secular studies is ohelei torah, and my Lubavitch yeshiva friends always said that ohelei torahniks were "illiterate in three languages".
ktonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #28
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member
 
Majorthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktonton View Post
Lubavitch yeshiva in CH also has a secular curriculum for its highschoolers. . . I took my regents through them.

Last I checked the only (american) highschool yeshiva I know of that doesn't have secular studies is ohelei torah, and my Lubavitch yeshiva friends always said that ohelei torahniks were "illiterate in three languages".
That they are illiterate in three languages is definitely true...and how annoying it is to see them printing books that I could easily have edited for them, even in sixth grade! Or rather, that anyone with any elementary education could have edited for them...
__________________
!חסידים איין משפחה
One big happy family!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #29
Roomdreec
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorthinker View Post
That they are illiterate in three languages is definitely true...and how annoying it is to see them printing books that I could easily have edited for them, even in sixth grade! Or rather, that anyone with any elementary education could have edited for them...
BS"D

But some of those OT grads go out on shlichus and mature into fine speakers and writers - in English or in a foreign language as the case may be.

Still, at the very least, OT grads should be able to speak Yiddish properly. It is embarrassing that my self-taught spoken Yiddish is better than that of many who went through the system, especially recently.
Roomdreec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #30
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member
 
Majorthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,615
Agreed....
__________________
!חסידים איין משפחה
One big happy family!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #31
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,142
Chicago's Mesivta does not have any English. Los Angeles's English program is optional last I heard. Florida is experimenting with their smichah boys, but I have not heard many good things.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 12:17 AM   #32
memyselfandi
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 37
I'm iy'h going to the pittsburgh girls school next year for 9th grade...
I want to go to a school with a chasidish environment and i want to spend most of my time learning limudai kodesh, not limudai chol. i'm starting to have second thoughts about pittsburgh.
memyselfandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 05:32 AM   #33
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member
 
Majorthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,615
In order to sound the least bit educated, you need limudei chol.
__________________
!חסידים איין משפחה
One big happy family!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #34
memyselfandi
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorthinker View Post
In order to sound the least bit educated, you need limudei chol.
i understand that and i have been going to a school that has less than 2 hours of limudai kodesh and the rest limudai chol every day since 1st grade. for high school i want limudai kodesh to be more important. i know the girls who would be in my class in pittsburgh and more than half of them watch movies and listen to goyishe music. i already had to be surrounded with these kind of people for 8 years and now i want to be surrounded by people with good influence. do you know of any schools where i could get this?
memyselfandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #35
ktonton
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandi View Post
i understand that and i have been going to a school that has less than 2 hours of limudai kodesh and the rest limudai chol every day since 1st grade. for high school i want limudai kodesh to be more important. i know the girls who would be in my class in pittsburgh and more than half of them watch movies and listen to goyishe music. i already had to be surrounded with these kind of people for 8 years and now i want to be surrounded by people with good influence. do you know of any schools where i could get this?
that doesn't mean that you should go in the other direction.

and also, I would base my concern vis a vis the movies and goyshe music on what kinds of the above that they are entertaining themselves with.

some of it is really bad*, some of it is not so much. some of it is has very positive influences if you sift out the bad.

it depends on what you're watching.

but in all honesty, most schools are probably like that. better a school where you know which girls are which and can avoid the ones you don't want as friends than one where the girls are less than steller but hide it.

I know, for instance, that the girls at bais rivka in CH are not always so positive either. there are people I know or used to know that tell me that the major topic of classroom conversation there is, well, boys. Boys boys boys boys boys.

that and talking to boys and getting on the net and watching movies when they can get away with it, and I suspect that its the same in most schools. Its very hard to keep those things out, you just drive them underground usualy. (at least from what I've seen.)

no, there is no substitute for choosing good and upstanding friends, and don't shoot yourself in the foot trying to find it.

* (actualy probably about 90% of it and the second category probably comprises an aditional 8% - 9% and i've not seen or heard of much of anything in the past 5 or so years that falls into the last catagory)
ktonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #36
shlucha14
Executive Member
 
shlucha14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandi View Post
i understand that and i have been going to a school that has less than 2 hours of limudai kodesh and the rest limudai chol every day since 1st grade. for high school i want limudai kodesh to be more important. i know the girls who would be in my class in pittsburgh and more than half of them watch movies and listen to goyishe music. i already had to be surrounded with these kind of people for 8 years and now i want to be surrounded by people with good influence. do you know of any schools where i could get this?
OUCH. I really hate to disillusion you like this but...there is no place like that until maybe sem; I'm not one to talk about sem though. I know this sounds really pessimistic, but no matter where you go, if you're among teenage girls there will be appalling standards of tznius, boys will feature prominently and the general attitude won't be so pro frumkeit... the important thing is to choose your friends wisely and be just as careful about being influenced as you were in your old school.

On a more positive note, Bnos Menachem in Crown Heights is one of the best schools I know of (it helps that my aunt works there), and they have a dorm. I wish you a lot of hatzlacha in wherever you go!
__________________
n'eNow!
shlucha14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #37
existwhere?
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandi View Post
i understand that and i have been going to a school that has less than 2 hours of limudai kodesh and the rest limudai chol every day since 1st grade. for high school i want limudai kodesh to be more important. i know the girls who would be in my class in pittsburgh and more than half of them watch movies and listen to goyishe music. i already had to be surrounded with these kind of people for 8 years and now i want to be surrounded by people with good influence. do you know of any schools where i could get this?
Bais Rifka in CH
existwhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #38
shlucha14
Executive Member
 
shlucha14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 260
Refer to post 35
__________________
n'eNow!
shlucha14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #39
existwhere?
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlucha14 View Post
Refer to post 35
Knowing good, chassidish girls from BR, I disagree. It's a matter of which group you choose.
existwhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #40
shlucha14
Executive Member
 
shlucha14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 260
You're essentially right, but if memyselfandi wants to be surrounded by girls who will have a good influence on her, it probably won't be the best place.
__________________
n'eNow!
shlucha14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 01:19 AM   #41
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member
 
Majorthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandi View Post
do you know of any schools where i could get this?
High schools, or elementary?
For elementary schools....hm...
The question is, where would I send my kids? Probably to Chorev. Eh, go to Bais Chomesh- apparently it still has a good secular education, along with a peer pressure trend to 'be chassidish'. If that's what you're looking for, then Toronto is probably your best bet. If you're looking for big Yechi-ism, then try Chicago- Bnos Rabbeinu. Or so I've heard.....
__________________
!חסידים איין משפחה
One big happy family!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 01:21 AM   #42
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member
 
Majorthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktonton View Post
I know, for instance, that the girls at bais rivka in CH are not always so positive either. there are people I know or used to know that tell me that the major topic of classroom conversation there is, well, boys. Boys boys boys boys boys.
So much so that those who get kicked out of other schools for talking to boys end up in BR, CH.
בושה וחרפה. אוי, מה הי'ה לנו?
__________________
!חסידים איין משפחה
One big happy family!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #43
Eitan770
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktonton View Post
Lubavitch yeshiva in CH also has a secular curriculum for its highschoolers. . . I took my regents through them.

Last I checked the only (american) highschool yeshiva I know of that doesn't have secular studies is ohelei torah, and my Lubavitch yeshiva friends always said that ohelei torahniks were "illiterate in three languages".
To my knowledge the only Chabad Yeshivos that do have a secular cirriculum are Pittsburgh, Minnesota, LA, and Miami - and I believe Pittsburgh is the only one of those where it's mandatory.
Eitan770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #44
guitaristmo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Pittsburg yeshiva

What do you think about Pittsburg for a kid who is officially chabad, and is always running chabad events and stuff, but like doesn't learn Gemara and chasidus at that level. Rather he learns no chasidus except for classes at shul a few days a week, and 50 minutes of gemara on a daily basis.
guitaristmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #45
Kookoo Kabalist
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 425
Then he should begin with lighter gemaras/sifrei chassidus and work on picking himself up to that level. Putting in more time is part of it...
Kookoo Kabalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #46
guitaristmo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktonton View Post
that doesn't mean that you should go in the other direction.

and also, I would base my concern vis a vis the movies and goyshe music on what kinds of the above that they are entertaining themselves with.

some of it is really bad*, some of it is not so much. some of it is has very positive influences if you sift out the bad.

it depends on what you're watching.

but in all honesty, most schools are probably like that. better a school where you know which girls are which and can avoid the ones you don't want as friends than one where the girls are less than steller but hide it.

I know, for instance, that the girls at bais rivka in CH are not always so positive either. there are people I know or used to know that tell me that the major topic of classroom conversation there is, well, boys. Boys boys boys boys boys.

that and talking to boys and getting on the net and watching movies when they can get away with it, and I suspect that its the same in most schools. Its very hard to keep those things out, you just drive them underground usualy. (at least from what I've seen.)

no, there is no substitute for choosing good and upstanding friends, and don't shoot yourself in the foot trying to find it.

* (actualy probably about 90% of it and the second category probably comprises an aditional 8% - 9% and i've not seen or heard of much of anything in the past 5 or so years that falls into the last catagory)
i agree on the movies, goyishe music...
but the internet?
really?
how are u here on chabad talk without the internet?
guitaristmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #47
couldntbe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaristmo View Post
What do you think about Pittsburg for a kid who is officially chabad, and is always running chabad events and stuff, but like doesn't learn Gemara and chasidus at that level. Rather he learns no chasidus except for classes at shul a few days a week, and 50 minutes of gemara on a daily basis.
Pittsburgh would be a great Yeshivah for such a kid
couldntbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #48
guitaristmo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Pittsburg yeshiva

How hard is it to get into it though?
Do you need a great secular education?
Do you need a great Jewish education?
guitaristmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
yeshiva schools of pittsburgh clara The World of Lubavitch 9 05-19-2008 09:18 PM
Ch Yeshiva chabadsmiles Controversy 0 10-14-2005 03:40 PM
Shluchim in Yeshiva motti770 Teenagers 93 10-05-2003 03:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2016 ChabadTalk.com