Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Yiddishkeit > Mivtzoim Questions

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Unread 01-30-2004, 09:18 AM   #1
walter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 193
Yetser hara?

What does it mean to worship haShem with your good as well as you evil inclination?
__________________
ger ani ki ba'aretz al taster mimeni mitzvotsecha
walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
NachumY
Junior Member
 
NachumY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2
I've heard this to be explained two different ways:

1) When the opportunity arises for you to do and aveirah, you instead do a mitzvah.

2) You've committed an aveirah, then you use the same platform to do a mitzva. (For example, you've committed an aveirah using the computer, then when you have the chance to do it again, instead of doing what you did before, you use the computer for a mitzvah like studing Torah.)
NachumY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
Daniel
Executive Member
 
Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachumY
I've heard this to be explained two different ways:

1) When the opportunity arises for you to do and aveirah, you instead do a mitzvah.

2) You've committed an aveirah, then you use the same platform to do a mitzva. (For example, you've committed an aveirah using the computer, then when you have the chance to do it again, instead of doing what you did before, you use the computer for a mitzvah like studing Torah.)
Now we know why all those Jews are hanging behind their computers all day...
__________________
50 characters is too short for a signature.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
Hiskashrus
Diamond Member
 
Hiskashrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,450
no, worshiping hashem with your evil inclination is something very high and special that only the pious and holiest of people can achieve.

we can utilize certain aspects of our evil inclination (for example, we did something bad, but from that deed we can still derive something good) and most of us can supress our evil inclination, but to actually serve hashem with our evil inclination - well that would mean that our Evil inclination would also serve hashem, to do that we would need to convert the evil inclination to good.

what nachum has said is only how someone uses "energy" from the evil inclination to do good, but isn't total and true "Ishapcha" in it's purest sense (although now i'm stepping on very sensitive ground, as the rebbe speaks about this all over)
Hiskashrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2005, 08:23 PM   #5
Majorchassid
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
no, it is not. Shema speaks to everyone, not just tzadikim. V'ahavta es Hashem elokecha B'CHOL L'VAVCHA UV'CHOL NAFSH'CHA- refers to your yetzer hara and yetzer tov and nefesh habahamis and nefesh elokis. MEaning that every person is capable of this, since it is a requireed mitzva in the Torah.
  Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
Hiskashrus
Diamond Member
 
Hiskashrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,450
well, this is discussed at length all over the place; the mitzva is the avoda and the hisbonenus- not the actual ahava
Hiskashrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
Daniel
Executive Member
 
Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorchassid
no, it is not. Shema speaks to everyone, not just tzadikim. V'ahavta es Hashem elokecha B'CHOL L'VAVCHA UV'CHOL NAFSH'CHA- refers to your yetzer hara and yetzer tov and nefesh habahamis and nefesh elokis. MEaning that every person is capable of this, since it is a requireed mitzva in the Torah.
bechol = chol; profane: yetzer hara
levavcha = the heart: yetzer hatov ( ? )
uvechol = chol; profane: nefesh habahamis
nafshecha = the (holy) soul, nefesh: nefesh elokis

Interesting. Chol - Chol. In Hebrew different, in English (and in pronunciation) no difference. Never knew that one...
__________________
50 characters is too short for a signature.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2005, 06:24 PM   #8
Majorchassid
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thanx. That's really cool.
  Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2005, 09:55 AM   #9
maspik!
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
bechol = chol; profane: yetzer hara
levavcha = the heart: yetzer hatov ( ? )
uvechol = chol; profane: nefesh habahamis
nafshecha = the (holy) soul, nefesh: nefesh elokis

Interesting. Chol - Chol. In Hebrew different, in English (and in pronunciation) no difference. Never knew that one...
did you make that up?
maspik! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2016 ChabadTalk.com