Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Chinuch

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 04-07-2003, 06:42 PM   #151
RebYid
Senior Diamond Member

But what do you really expect? We have more children than we can "afford", live in areas where housing is expensive, send our children to expensive schools, pay more for kosher food etc. Is it any wonder there is poverty?
RebYid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2003, 06:46 PM   #152
Jude
Executive Platinum Member

80% of millionaires in the U.S. (so I'm told) are self-employed. I assume the other 20% inherited their money, won the lottery, or have extremely high paying jobs and great investments.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2003, 12:33 PM   #153
EtzChaim613
Executive Member

RebYid,

I understand that being frum is expensive. . . my pocketbook is very aware. However, I believe even in the frum world things can be less expensive. For example, people can find tznius and beautiful clothing at discount franchises, however, people still spend hundreds of dollars on suits, etc. Many people eat meat during the week, maybe eating meat only on Shabbos will help cut the budget down to size. Also, I know camp is a great experience, but is it necessary every summer?

Being frum can get expensive, but the backbone of an observant home is the mother. If the backbone is weakened, so is the home.

Maybe instead of waving a white flag, people should be brainstorming for ways of achieving results at less cost. However, that would require a new thread as this thread is dedicated to college.
Unread 04-10-2003, 05:35 PM   #154
zaque36
Silver Member

Manager: "For a man with no experience, you are certainly
asking for a high salary."

Applicant: "Well, the work is much harder when you don't know
what you're doing!"
Unread 05-05-2003, 11:36 AM   #155
Jude

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - More months pounding the pavement, less pay offered than you had in your prior job, reduced negotiating leverage and fierce competition with those as qualified as you. Welcome to the perils of job-hunting 2003.

Those perils exist across the board, experts say, whether you hail from an industry coming down from unnatural compensation highs (Wall Street) or where jobs simply are disappearing (manufacturing).

"Companies are cherry-picking. They can be very selective," said Charley Donohoe, a North Carolina-based managing consultant for human resources consulting firm DBM.

That's because employers know they're in the driver's seat thanks to dismal unemployment numbers and a lack of job creation over the past two years. In April, unemployment jumped to 6 percent and another 48,000 jobs were lost.

"Clients are amazed at how many good people there are," said Alan Johnson, a compensation consultant in New York.

And job seekers are amazed at how long it's taking them to land a gig. The median search time has been on the rise for seven consecutive quarters. In the first quarter, it surged to 4.2 months, a 17-year record high, according to outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & ******mas.
--------------------------------------------------
As the so-called jobless recovery stumbles along, the number of long-term unemployed - now about 1.8 million - is up 36 percent from a year ago. The tally of discouraged workers - almost 500,000 - is up 44 percent.

The long-term unemployed and disheartened aren't just waiting a few weeks for their factories to call them back. It's more likely that their factories are permanently closed.

Many are white-collar workers with college degrees and sometimes advanced degrees, too. They may have been in the upper echelons of management. Some are still suffering from the collapse of the dotcom and telecommunications industries - but because of their expertise, they're reluctant to look for work in completely different fields.
Unread 05-05-2003, 05:29 PM   #156
EtzChaim613
Executive Member

Why do you believe that unemployment across the board, including amongst those with advanced degrees, gives justification that a college degree is worthless?
Unread 05-05-2003, 05:32 PM   #157
Jude

why do you believe I think it's worthless?
Unread 08-10-2003, 07:21 PM   #158
Jude

from an interview with Chaya Epstein, shlucha in Chicago:

Chaya Epstein sought permission from the Lubavitcher Rebbe before attending Harvard. The Rebbe gave her his blessing and she graduated with a bachelor's degree in Education and Psychology.

This was before she was married. She lived with a Lubavitch family while attending school.
Unread 08-10-2003, 08:37 PM   #159
Shlucha
Silver Member

(might not be such a good idea to post that....)
Unread 08-11-2003, 02:29 PM   #160
Jude

key words: sought permission from the Lubavitcher Rebbe
Unread 08-11-2003, 02:50 PM   #161
mordechai7215
Diamond Member

I know someone who got an answer from Igros to go to college . . . the interesting thing was before and after that event he was dead set against igros
mordechai7215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2003, 09:47 PM   #162
Shlucha
Silver Member

but he went to college anyway????? That's like fishing around for an answer you like, and he just got lucky.
Unread 08-11-2003, 11:50 PM   #163
mordechai7215
Diamond Member

yup . . . vas ken men tan? (the truth is he did have heavy familly presure, so perhaps he just did it to help his mind)
mordechai7215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 12:33 PM   #164
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

I recently was by a wonderful Farbrengen, and the topic turned to college.

Some points:

- There seems to be a very worshipful attitude to secular knowledge in today's young adults.

- The fact that we feel a need to be both Shluchim and professionals shows that there is a lack of pride in our Shlichus.
hishtatchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 12:36 PM   #165
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

On the topic of parental pressure:

I know many young adults who are planning to go to college because their parents insist. These are Frum teenagers from Chabad families, and their parents feel that it is a good idea for Parnassa or a benefit for their future Shlichus. I don't agree, but is it proper to encourage the children to make a stand in this issue?

It was brought up in conversation that a Baal Teshuva might leave college halfway through despite strong opposition from their parents- why should it be so hard to tell Frum parents no?
hishtatchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 04:51 PM   #166
Shlucha
Silver Member

<<- The fact that we feel a need to be both Shluchim and professionals shows that there is a lack of pride in our Shlichus.>>

That's a good one, bu the fact is that non-frum people would rather send their chidlren to a preschool run by a shlucha who has a college deree as opposed to a one-year-of-seminary degree. Though I'm NOT saying you should go to college because of this, and many shluchim get around this.

<<It was brought up in conversation that a Baal Teshuva might leave college halfway through despite strong opposition from their parents- why should it be so hard to tell Frum parents no?>>

A BT is totally changing his/her lifestyle around. The parents are in a for a huge shock, the LEAST of which is that their child is leaving college. A frum parent usually (hopefully) has much nachas from their child, and their child usually listens to them, so to hear "No Ma, I'm NOT going to college" will be a HUGE slap in the face for them.

Last edited by Shlucha; 08-14-2003 at 04:53 PM.
Shlucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2003, 09:49 AM   #167
Jude

Quote:
I know many young adults who are planning to go to college because their parents insist. These are Frum teenagers from Chabad families, and their parents feel that it is a good idea for Parnassa or a benefit for their future Shlichus.
hmmm, THEY think it's a good idea, but the REBBE doesn't ...
you DID say these are Chabad families ...
are these the same parents who attend lectures and workshops on How to Raise Chasidishe Children?
Unread 08-15-2003, 02:30 PM   #168
Shlucha
Silver Member

or the same parents who blame the school for not succeeding with their children...?
Unread 08-17-2003, 11:35 AM   #169
Jude

http://ou.org/publications/ja/5763/5...r/KEEPINGT.PDF
Unread 08-17-2003, 11:01 PM   #170
marble

How nice the the ou mag acknowledges Chabad on campuses.
What a surprise! (Albiet in 2 lines)
marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 01:57 PM   #171
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

considering that very often Chabad on campuses have to "rescue" the children of OU type families, I would consider it Hakaras Hatov!
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 01:59 PM   #172
rebayzl
Senior Diamond Member

Not surprising. They are not a propaganda organ, just reporting the facts.

Last edited by rebayzl; 08-19-2003 at 02:03 PM.
rebayzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 02:11 PM   #173
Jude

Quote:
considering that very often Chabad on campuses have to "rescue" the children of OU type families, I would consider it Hakaras Hatov!
yet the OU finds it necessary to send couples on campus to deal with the Orthodox students, not for kiruv purposes

apparently, Chabad is not filling that function (with the Orthodox, particularly shiurim) enough
Unread 08-19-2003, 05:11 PM   #174
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

Lack of manpower.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 07:32 PM   #175
Jude

yet in another thread, some people claim that couples are waiting and waiting (years, in some cases) for suitable shlichus positions and are not finding any ..