Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > General

Unread 12-25-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
turborich

why do so many people hate Jewish people?

I'm sorry if this offends anyone here. I would like to know why so many people seem to dislike or even hate Jewish people?

I don't consider myself to be Jewish or any other religion for that matter, I believe in God but have not found one religion that makes complete sense to me. It seems that most religions are strength in numbers, I hope you can understand where I am coming from.

Anyways, My Grandparents were both Jewish and they always seemed like good people who did the right thing in life. They were kind to others and always very good to me. My mother, their daughter married a very mean hateful man who passionately hated Jews. I never understood why? Now in my 30's I see this everywhere. People always using phrases like "He's going to try & Jew me down on the price" or other comments like this. I also have noticed that groups like the KKK and nazi groups hate Jews more than anyone else. Why is this? I can't understand the hate toward the Jewish people. The only thing that I can figure is that most Jews are good with their finances and business decisions so they seem to do well financially. If this is the reason then why the hate?

I'm not trying to insult anyone here, but rather trying to learn the truth. Thank you for being understanding.
turborich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
Malkizedek

Its because we're awesome.
Malkizedek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
jjbennoach

http://www.rabbifriedman.org/what-is...antisemitism-2
jjbennoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 02:53 AM   #4
Sponge
Banned

Enmity

Hashem put enmity between Eve's seed and the serpent's seed...Serpent in Hebrew seems to not only mean snake,but also augury and witchcraft..On one side is Hashem and the Jews, on the other side is witchcraft and the nations..Enmity(hatred) was put there by Hashem..Can anyone take away what Hashem has put there ??
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
turborich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkizedek View Post
Its because we're awesome.
I don't think that any one group of people are any better than anyone else. I believe that we are all equal to the big guy above.
turborich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Malkizedek

Where did I advance inequality? I'm not interested in getting into a philosophical discussion. I just said we're awesome.
Unread 12-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Malkizedek

I was hoping that the humorous intent of my remark would be evident. But apparently not. If what you're looking for is a serious answer, then jjbennoach's answer may be your best shot. I'm going to gather from his handle that he's not Jewish; and yet he thinks very highly of us, indeed (for reasons that ought to be examined by a qualified therapist, most assuredly).

To summarize (and, because I'm Jewish and therefore feel the need to introduce ideas that may offend with apologies to all who may be offended, I do apologize that the following may conflict with your egalitarian mindset): We are not hated because we think we are chosen. Most cultures think that they're special somehow. They aren't hated for that. We're hated because, when we think we're chosen... we're right; and despite the fact that our "chosen-ness," in our own view, does not detract from the value of each and every human being (who indeed are all equally valuable before G-d - Jewish or not), the notion that G-d has chosen Jews bothers the ignorant and the impotent. They then feel the need to lash out at G-d by attacking His chosen people.
Unread 04-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #8
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

It's because so many Jews hate themselves and their heritage.

Self-hating Jews . . . old phenomenon, come visit Tzipi Livni and Amira Hass, and you will understand.

If you hate yourself, why should anyone else love you?
Same for many Jews.

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2016, 12:44 AM   #9
aaron benjamin

I once heard a Rabbi say that "there is a fine line between love and hate."
aaron benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2016, 02:40 AM   #10
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

The opposite of love is not hate - it's apathy.

Unread 04-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #11
aaron benjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorthinker View Post
The opposite of love is not hate - it's apathy.
I hear what you are saying, but on the other hand terrorism seems to be motivated by hate. R"L.
Unread 04-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

That doesn't mean that hate is the opposite of love. It just means that the Arabs hate Jews.

Unread 04-25-2016, 05:33 PM   #13
aaron benjamin

Quote:
That doesn't mean that hate is the opposite of love. It just means that the Arabs hate Jews.
Some Arabs hate Jews, not all Arabs. Also, it seems that apathy can sometimes be safer than hate since hate can lead to more active and aggressive destruction.
Unread 04-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #14
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
It's because so many Jews hate themselves and their heritage.
This certainly doesn't help, but I don't think the blame is all on us. "Eisav Sonei Es Yaakov" (the descendants of Esav have an inborn hatred of the sons of Yaakov) is a fact of Torah.

The implication of your statement is that we have an obligation to prevent the nations of the world from hating us. I disagree. We have an obligation to serve Hashem and encourage all Jews to do likewise, and to be a shining light of righteousness to all the nations. Whether or not that gains us accolades and brotherhood is irrelevant.
hishtatchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2016, 02:49 PM   #15
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

No, certainly not. Even if there were no self-hating Jews, the rest of the world would not harbor any love for us.

However . . . when there are Jews who hate their own nation, it makes everything worst.

First of all, because, like I said, if we hate ourselves and are willing to sell our own brothers to our enemies - why should anyone else do otherwise?
And second of all, because siyata dishmaya only comes when we are proud, upright, straight Jews. If we are aiding our enemies, G-d says, "Well, then. Do what you like."

And we see this b'chush:

When we fought as proud Jews, we won every war.

Now that we are worried more about making nice to our enemies and the rest of the world, than we are about our own safety (and we happily jail Jews just to be PC) - well, G-d isn't making open miracles anymore.

We saw this in Tzuk Eitan, too . . .

When the entire country was together, in one mind, in one heart, after the 3 boys were kidnapped, we did what we wanted and the world didn't say boo. In the merit of those 3 boys, we discovered the Gaza tunnels.

Then we started infighting, the leftists went back to being leftists (and all for the state committing suicide) - and the world started talking, and calling us child killers.

Hmmmm . . .

No, if we stop hating ourselves, it won't make the world love us.

But it WILL cause them to respect us, and even fear us. And tachlis, that's what we need.