Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Yiddishkeit

Unread 05-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #26
Bnai Noach

I suppose there may be some inequality with regards to G-d's love for each of us. But hey, in the end HaMoshiach will come, we will all bow before G-d, He will clean us up and make us all holy, and at that time I won't care a bit.
Bnai Noach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #27
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HindaBatEsther View Post
Does G-D have favorite souls? I don't mean the tzaddikim I just mean souls in general. would you say that Jewish souls could be G-D's favorite souls over Xtians etc?
No.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #28
HindaBatEsther

Will all gentiles become Bnai Noach? Islam, and all the other religions will disappear?
HindaBatEsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #29
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron benjamin View Post
In parenting aren't parents usually advised not to treat children as 'favorites' over their siblings?
I was originally going to write a slightly longer answer in re Yaakov and his own children. Yosef was in some respects a favorite, but Chas V'Shalom could we say that Yaakov was a bad father that didn't give all of his children all of the love and attention they needed. I haven't seen the comparison drawn by any sources though, so I refrained. It would be an interesting topic for discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnai Noach View Post
I wish I knew what you just said. All I got was the "boruch hu" part, and I'm not even sure I got the "boruch." I've only been studying Hebrew a few months. Though I think I've got the idea behind "hakodosh"...
"Hakodosh" = "The Holy (One)"
"Baruch" = "Blessed"
"Hu" = "(is) he"

"Dira" = Dwelling place
"B'Tachtonim" = "In the Lower (world)" (meaning in our world)

Quote:
Will all gentiles become Bnai Noach? Islam, and all the other religions will disappear?
When Moshiach comes the whole world will become aware of the truth. To the extent that those religions are not the truth, they will not longer be practiced. But I imagine there are some aspects of some religions that could survive. I'm thinking, for example, of figures of speech (e.g. Muslims, when they start a new project, say something similar to B'Ezras Hashem).
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #30
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
It is said in the Torah that with Moshiach coming, the Beis HaMikdosh (Temple) will be called "A house of prayer for all the nations" and "On this day, Hashem will be One and His name One." All the nations will recognize the falsehood of their beliefs, and proclaim that the G-d of Yisroel is the Only One. The Prophets write that with the coming of Moshiach and the rebuilding of the Beis HaMikdosh, the nations will flock to Jerusalem alongside the Jews, and all will serve G-d.

Here are from the Tanach:

For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of Hashem, as the waters cover the sea. (From Sefer Chavakuk)

All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to Hashem, and all the families of the nations will bow down before him. (From Sefer Tehilim)

They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain, for the earth will be full of the knowledge of Hashem as the waters cover the sea.

And the glory of Hashem will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it. For the mouth of Hashem has spoken. (Both are from Sefer Yeshayahu)

That the nations will abandon their falsehood to "join" us and believe in our G-d is also seen here:

- -, , ,
For then will I turn to the peoples a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of Hashem, to serve Him with one consent. (From Sefer Tzephanyah)

And:

, --; , --
And Hashem shall be King over all the earth; in that day shall Hashem be One, and His name one. (From Sefer Zekharyah)

But in the meantime, many are after falsehood.
Unread 05-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #31
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahTovChelkeinu View Post
I was originally going to write a slightly longer answer in re Yaakov and his own children. Yosef was in some respects a favorite, but Chas V'Shalom could we say that Yaakov was a bad father that didn't give all of his children all of the love and attention they needed. I haven't seen the comparison drawn by any sources though, so I refrained. It would be an interesting topic for discussion.
I have heard some Mashpiim saying that from that story there is a lesson in parenting: to have a favorite or a child we are more connected with is not a problem as far as it isn't too obvious for the children, because if it was too obvious, the other children could think that, C'V, the favored child is more loved than them. Parents ARE to love their children equaly, while feeling a deeper connection with one of them is not a crime, they shouldn't put one child over the other and give him/her more privilege. That Yosef was "too" favored by his father (for instance, he received a special coat from Yaakov) was so obvious for his brothers that they began to hate him.
Unread 05-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #32
HindaBatEsther

So in a way, Jews as the chosen people are G-D's favored and that is why the goyim do not like us. ?
Unread 05-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #33
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
So in a way, Jews as the chosen people are G-D's favored and that is why the goyim do not like us. ?
People cannot conceive the idea that there is on the planet a nation that is spiritually higher than the others, because, for them, we live in a world where every body is "equal" (in theory) and to point out to differences is "racism" and "discrimination". So, because the Torah says that Jews are "The Chosen People", an Am Seguloh, that we have been chosen by G-d to be His people and that Hashem will be for us a G-d, they conclude that it means that we are racists and we discriminate, and that we think that we are better than anyone on this planet. (It is not what being the Chosen People means, of course.)

But there plenty of other reasons why people don't like Jews:

-Jews are ALL rich;
-Jews control the media;
-Jews are ALL intelligent;
-Jews are everywhere;
-Jews control the financial market;
-Jews are responsible of all the conflicts on the planet;
-etc., etc.

Whatever you can say to show them that it's not true, it does not matter for those who absolutely want to hate us.
Unread 05-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #34
Bnai Noach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahTovChelkeinu View Post

"Hakodosh" = "The Holy (One)"
"Baruch" = "Blessed"
"Hu" = "(is) he"

"Dira" = Dwelling place
"B'Tachtonim" = "In the Lower (world)" (meaning in our world)

When Moshiach comes the whole world will become aware of the truth. To the extent that those religions are not the truth, they will not longer be practiced. But I imagine there are some aspects of some religions that could survive. I'm thinking, for example, of figures of speech (e.g. Muslims, when they start a new project, say something similar to B'Ezras Hashem).
Thanks for the translation. I was pretty sure "Boruch" was "Baruch." And since that's "baruch hu" that makes that pretty easy because I know at least half the pronouns, thus hakodosh must be something relevant, a name for G-d.

As to the world, yes, I believe everyone will become a righteous gentile. Really, the only way to respond to the truth is to bow the knee before Hashem and become a righteous gentile. One may decide to go further and become a Jew if that is what Hashem has called him or her to do, but to start with, one must become a Bnai Noach.

The remnant of the nations after Ezekiel 38-39 take place will be shown the truth and the response will come naturally, I believe.
Unread 05-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #35
Bnai Noach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosheh5769 View Post
It is said in the Torah that with Moshiach coming, the Beis HaMikdosh (Temple) will be called "A house of prayer for all the nations" and "On this day, Hashem will be One and His name One." All the nations will recognize the falsehood of their beliefs, and proclaim that the G-d of Yisroel is the Only One. The Prophets write that with the coming of Moshiach and the rebuilding of the Beis HaMikdosh, the nations will flock to Jerusalem alongside the Jews, and all will serve G-d.

Here are from the Tanach:

For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of Hashem, as the waters cover the sea. (From Sefer Chavakuk)

All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to Hashem, and all the families of the nations will bow down before him. (From Sefer Tehilim)

They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain, for the earth will be full of the knowledge of Hashem as the waters cover the sea.

And the glory of Hashem will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it. For the mouth of Hashem has spoken. (Both are from Sefer Yeshayahu)

That the nations will abandon their falsehood to "join" us and believe in our G-d is also seen here:

- -, , ,
For then will I turn to the peoples a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of Hashem, to serve Him with one consent. (From Sefer Tzephanyah)

And:

, --; , --
And Hashem shall be King over all the earth; in that day shall Hashem be One, and His name one. (From Sefer Zekharyah)

But in the meantime, many are after falsehood.
Good stuff. I can't wait. Plus, it seems like G-d will return us all to the original language, before Babel. Perhaps then G-d will finish my Hebrew studies for me.
Unread 05-09-2011, 03:08 AM   #36
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnai Noach View Post
Thanks for the translation. I was pretty sure "Boruch" was "Baruch." And since that's "baruch hu" that makes that pretty easy because I know at least half the pronouns, thus hakodosh must be something relevant, a name for G-d.
There are different Hebrew pronounciations. "Boruch" (blessed) is the same as "Baruch", the latter being in Sephardic pronounciation and the former being in Ashkenazic pronounciation. The same with "HaKodosh" (The Holy One) and "HaKadosh".

Because spelling the personal names of G-d is forbidden (except in prayers and when reading the Torah), we use other names to relate to Him, as HaKodosh Boruch Hu, The Almighty, Hashem, etc.
Unread 05-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #37
HindaBatEsther

Is Elijah still supposed to come before the Moshiach? G-D took him, he's not dead. Where is he? Will he come back in Israel in exactly the same spot he left from? What would he be wearing? Will he proclaim who the Moshiach is or will we know without him telling us?
Unread 05-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #38
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

it depends if the geula is be itah or achishena
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #39
HindaBatEsther

B'Ita Achishena
Unread 05-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #40
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

be itah Eliyahu hanavi
achishena not Eliahu Hanavi
Unread 05-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #41
Bnai Noach

I've wondered about Elijah. Once I had an idea that Elijah was HaMoshiach himself, but I have a feeling that the Scriptures makes the distinction somewhere, or else someone more learned than me would have suggested it already. Man, I've gotta get back to studying Torah... These last couple of weeks I've mostly spent my available time reading the Psalms in the morning....
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #42
danzinger
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chossidnistar View Post
be itah Eliyahu hanavi
achishena not Eliahu Hanavi
source, please!
Unread 05-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #43
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzinger View Post
source, please!
responsa Maharam Schick Yoreh Deah 213
Unread 05-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #44
danzinger
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chossidnistar View Post
responsa Maharam Schick Yoreh Deah 213
Thank you!
Having glanced there and at his source in the Pleiti, my own limited understanding is that Eliyahu's anouncement of Mashiach's arrival need not necessarily precede Mashiach ben David but it does not mean that Eliyahu will not come at all, but that the order will be reversed and Eliyahu will follow MbD.
Unread 05-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #45
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

I am very excited to see how is gonig to be!
Unread 05-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #46
HindaBatEsther

let's just hope and pray he gets here soon..today!
Unread 05-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #47
danzinger
Executive Member

(experience of deja vu - didn't I write that somewhere else on this forum?)
Unread 05-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #48
Bnai Noach

Come quickly Moschiach! I can't wait to see Eretz Yisrael led into triumph and everlasting peace.

I wonder if I can find a loudspeaker somewhere so I can drive down streets yelling "BARUCH HABA BSHEM ADONAI!"
Unread 05-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #49
HindaBatEsther

When Moshiach comes I wonder if I will still have to pay to ship my things over there or will all my needs be met. I don't fly either, I am phobic. Will all my phobia's be gone?
Unread 05-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #50
danzinger
Executive Member

Quote:
When Moshiach comes I wonder if I will still have to pay to ship my things over there or will all my needs be met. I don't fly either, I am phobic. Will all my phobia's be gone?
Maybe this will be useful to you:

Quote:
Shavuot Rising Above the Fear of Heights
From Pesach to Shavuot we have the commandment to count fifty days. Nonetheless, in practice, we only count forty-nine days, the fiftieth day being Shavuot, the Time of the Giving of Our Torah. When Moses went up the mountain to receive the Torah he went up alone, leaving the rest of the Jewish people waiting at the foot of the mountain below. Nonetheless, spiritually we all ascended to the great height that only Adam had held prior to his sin, a height to which we had never ascended before. Yet we were unable to maintain that high level and our fear caused us to fall by committing the sin of the Golden Calf. Similarly, the sages teach us that had Jacob climbed to the top of the ladder that he saw in his dreams, he would have overcome all the potential exiles that occurred later in the course of the history of the Jewish people.
Both of these indicate that the Jewish people have an existential psychological fear of heights. The message of Shavuot is that we are able to reach those new heights to the extent that we can even transcend death, as Moses survived upon the mountain throughout the forty days and forty nights without spiritual sustenance.
If we take our understanding of a fear of heights one step further, we can see how there is still a deep-seated psychological fear of taking our ambitions too far.[1] Psychologically, people are afraid of climbing too high.
To overcome our fear of heights, we must reach the fiftieth gate, the consummate state of purity that is open to us on the fiftieth day of the Omer, Shavuot. The Torah tells us to count fifty days, meaning that we have to reach the fiftieth gate, which is the ultimate height of the psyche and to take our Torah ambitions to their zenith.

[1] Two modern day examples of this are the inhibition that prevented the Israeli army from redeeming the Temple Mount into Jewish hands during the Six Day War and the reluctance of the State of Israel to annex the West Bank territory to the rest of Israel.

[From a seminar on Kabbalah and Psychology by Rabbi Yitzchak Ginsburgh, shlit"a]
Fly above your fears!