Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Yiddishkeit

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 12-09-2004, 11:37 PM   #1
Esrog
Executive Member

Cheer Me Up---It's Chanukah

Today I had some nice Chanukah experiences. I lit my menorah. I saw a wonderful little website with a gallery of pictures of replicas of vessels in the Temple that are being made in Israel (not all perfectly accurate, they have the menorah wrong, but still very inspiring). It's at this address:

http://www.templeinstitute.org/

(Click on gallery. There are 16 pictures.)

However, earlier this evening I saw terrible news from Israel. Sharon forced his Likud party, which doesn't even want to but is terrified of him, to form a coalition with Labor, on Chanukah no less, which will enable him to expel the Jews of Gaza and give Gaza to the Arabs.

I earlier saw that he wants to abandon the border between Egypt and Gaza so that Egypt can effectively take over (that used to be called "conquer") part of Israel and then attack Israel from closer.

It used to be that the Sinai was a buffer. Egypt under UN agreement wasn't allowed to bring forces across Sinai and that was a signal that if they did Israel could consider that an act of war with UN sanction (not that they need UN sanction) and strike first just for them crossing the Sinai.

Now Sharon is asking everyone to forget that and Egypt can just come into Gaza, which was originally part of the tribe of Yehudah.

You can see an article about the Likud vote to include Labor tonight and allegations that the vote was rigged here:

http://www.israelnn.com/news.php3?id=73328

I have never seen such evil being forced on so many who did not choose evil and nothing, not the warnings of the military, Israeli intelligence or anybody else stops this insanity.

I want to know why is this happening? Who can offer words of insight and hope on this, especially from Torah and from what the Rebbe said?

Last edited by Esrog; 12-09-2004 at 11:44 PM.
Esrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2004, 12:19 AM   #2
Avodas Avoda

Re: Cheer Me Up---It's Chanukah

We saw in the past open miracles: that Arafat HaRosho Yamach Shmo didn't accept Ehud Barak's peace plan at the onset of this "intifada." This was hephoch hadas, b'pashtus. It can only be explained as Hashem hardening his poisoned heart, that he didn't accept this offer which would have been disasterous and dangerous for yidden, c''v r''l. Hashem has, B''H, removed the world of that scar. Hashem continues to protect us, and we have even seen breaks in the violence, B''H. Hashem has helped us in the past. He has saved us from greater evils than Sharon. We should all say tehillim and have betachon that Hashem will continue to protect us from our enemies, yamach shmam, and that Moshiach will soon come and make this all ancient history.
Unread 12-10-2004, 01:06 AM   #3
Esrog
Executive Member

Thanks for the comment. Firstly, please kindly translate terms, in parenthesis. (See this thread on the need to translate terminology: http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4857 ). Sorry, I don't know what "hephoch hadas, b'pashtus" means.

However, I am already aquainted with what the Rebbe said that if Israel offers the Arabs things, they won't accept. Firstly, what if they changed their mind one day? How long can we rely on the Arabs to be so stupid? The Arabs who flew into the World Trade Center were stupid? It was very cleverly planned out.

Secondly, Israel is not offering the Arabs anything now. There is nothing they need to agree to. Israel is abandoning land unilaterally. Did Israel have any difficulty retreating from Lebanon? It was unilateral, the Arabs offered nothing in return and then were cheering that they had made Israel "retreat" with a few bombs and Molotov cocktails. It was a total chilul Hashem. We are training the Arabs that they do not need to give to get. They are training Israel that they must give and not get. Training completed, mission accomplished. "The Arabs won't say yes" is yesterday's news because the "new formula" is that the Arabs don't have to agree to anything. Just, Israel has to retreat. All the "work" is on Israel's side.

Why is Heaven allowing this? Israel is definitely leaving Gaza and the Jews there will be ripped out of their homes in the middle of the night like Germany or the Spanish Inquisition. It's already begun. They're doing little things already in this direction. Wrecking small settlements or outposts there and so forth, exercizes rehearsing the monstrosity. Why is Heaven doing this? It is the Jews who are being stupid. How could so many people appease and not see that they are merely appeasing? And the moment Labor gets Israel out of Gaza they will leave Sharon's coaliton and boast that they defeated him in policy and stomp all over his political grave and go "cockadoodledoo!" Likud is appeasing Labor the same way Labor appeases the Arabs.

Even the cessation of violence recently --- why do you think that is? Only because Israel has agreed to give the Arabs free presents. WHY SHOULD THE ARABS PAY IN THEIR OWN BLOOD FOR SOMETHING THEY CAN GET FOR FREE?????? Why should they die fighting when Israel is willing to give them something for nothing? Giving the Arabs land without a fight is giving the Arabs something for nothing. Appeasement is not a blessing.

I am reminded of an old Jewish story:

Once a king sent his servant to the market to buy him a fish. Unfortunately the servant mistakenly brought back a rotten fish. The king then told his servant he would have to be punished for it. The king gave him a choice of 3 punishments. The servant could pay for the fish. But of course back in those days nobody had any money. Or the servant could accept 50 lashes. Well, that didn't sound too good. Or number 3, the servant could eat the fish. Well, nu, the servant thought maybe it won't be too bad. So he ate half the fish. Two-thirds of the fish. Three-fourths of the fish. Nine-tenths of the fish! But in the end he was gagging and he just couldn't get it all down. The king said, "I'm sorry, you must accept one whole punishment." So okay, the servant accepted the 50 lashes. Because for sure he wasn't going to pay the price. He took 10 lashes, 20 lashes, 30, 35, 40, 45 lashes. And his back was scarred and bleeding and covered with sores but he just couldn't take any more.

So in the end he had to pay for the fish anyway.

Moral of the story: Because Israel is not willing to go to war with these monsters, Israel keeps paying through the nose to avoid war. In the end they will still have to pay the ultimate price -- war. Only they will be fighting that war on disadvantaged ground having ceded so much of it.

Last edited by Esrog; 12-10-2004 at 01:14 AM.
Unread 12-10-2004, 02:03 AM   #4
Esrog
Executive Member

Well, I just opened one of the Rebbes sichas at random and found a bit of insight into this subject maybe. This is from Sichos In English, Marcheshvan-Shevat, 5746, vol. 29. In the sicha Motzoei Zos Chanukah, 5746 (which I opened at random, not looking for a sicha about Chanukah even) the Rebbe is talking about the sin of Achan and asking why it was so severe (that is, considered so serious). The Rebbe answers that it was considered so serious because it affected the entire nation.

This seems to relate to the question I am raising. I was talking above about how Sharon apparently rigged the Likud party vote that allowed him to bring Labor into his coalition. I asked, how can so many people be included in an evil they themselves did not choose to commit? Some had their votes changed. Others were forced to back Sharon under great pressure.

It seems to me that the sicha is answering my question. Even those people who did not vote in favor of what Sharon wants to do now are already included in his sin in the sense that his sin of taking Israel down this evil path is affecting the entire nation.

In other words, the fault lies with Sharon. With all his power, and influence and the trust good Jews placed in him for being a right winger and Likudnik and a general and then to use all that trust to take Israel down the wrong path. The fault lies with Sharon. Not the voters or Likudniks. Sharon --- he is the problem.
Unread 12-10-2004, 10:02 AM   #5
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

When you look at what has happened to Sharon, r"l, it is not different from his right wing predecessors--Netanyahu, Shamir, and Begin. They all caved in to pressure, despite their principles.

When you see how a man who spent his life fighting for the Land of Israel and his fellow Jews can so irrationally do a 180 degree turn, it is clearly a case of "lev melech b'yad Hashem" ("the heart of kings is in the hands of Hashem" Mishlei/Proverbs 21:1).

The Eybershter (the Almighty) is running the show, and our job is simply to respond properly--demand shleimus ha'aretz, continue spread chassidus, etc.

Get angry, but don't get depressed!
Unread 12-10-2004, 10:24 AM   #6
Avodas Avoda

Amen Yankel Nosson. Esrog, sorry about the hebrew terms: hephoch hadaas b'pashtus means, simply contrary to common sense (my free translation). I meant that Arafat's decision was simply a bad idea from his viewpoint. If he had gone along with Barak's crazy peace plan, there would likely be a small country occupying most of Eretz HaKodesh called "Palestine" (G-d forbid). That Arafat didn't go along with it was an open miracle. It is clear that only G-d could have made Arafat make that decision.
Unread 12-11-2004, 10:22 PM   #7
Esrog
Executive Member

Yankel Nosson, thats true, Likud leaders have caved.

(Although Shamir, to his credit, criticized one of the others for caving too much, Netanyahu I think, and Shamir called him weak. But even Shamir went to Madrid and accepted a whole gang of people there ganging up on Israel and did not demand a one-on-one or equal pro and anti Israel nations at the Madrid conference which is only one of the many foolish things about that conference.)

Sharon himself did less of a 180 than most people think. He was never all that people claimed he was. He has been an opportunist. He originally belonged to a leftwing party. He played a critical role in making Sinai Judenrein and his own wife once warned people about him and how they dont know him the way she does.

It is also claimed that Sharon made a thing about eating pork, which is not very common in Israel the way it is in the U.S. Why would he do this? Why would he make a habit of eating pork in Israel? Ask any secular Jew who has ever eaten pork and they will tell you it is no big deal, it tastes fairly lousy, it is hardly as tasty as beef. Who would eat it in Israel few Jews and certainly not Arabs, so how much of a market is there for it? How a public figure in Israel could deviate to such nonsense when if anything he could impress people by not eating pork, shows how truly debased Sharon really is.

One of the terrible mistakes people have made is to think these nobodies like Sharon amount to anything and then trust them when they tell them to do bad things to Israel.

They are impressed by the brass buttons on Sharons uniform. The Rebbe once said Moshiach will not arrive on a 747 jetliner. But people think Sharon is a big yesh because he has a plane or a tank or a car or a telephone. It is all nonsense. They say, ha-ha, Sharon is a big bulldozer! He knows what hes doing! All nonsense. He was never what people thought he was.

A confluence of fairly flimsy circumstances conspired to enable him to do some good things, although largely for very superficial reasons and he did not understand clearly.

His whole life since becoming prime minister has now been one big yerida from that prior spiritual ascent. That is a big thing people dont understand. From the moment he got elected Prime Minister EVERYTHING Sharon has done has been one long yerida, and people need to get the stars out of their eyes and see this.

Some may not like my saying this, but part of the problem is that people dont look beneath the surface. On the surface, Sharon is a big fancy general with brass buttons. The goyim have big fancy generals? Now we got. The goyim send men into space? Now we do. This is all very surface-oriented. Beneath the surface Sharon is a very weak, ignorant, unrefined man.

Why dont people look beneath the surface? Why dont a lot of RELIGIOUS Jews look beneath the surface with Sharon? Yes, a lot of religious Jews have been very hesitant and slow to see how bad he is. Why? Because they dont look beneath the surface in general. Why? Because they are niglaniks. A Chassid by nature looks beneath the surface. Peneemius is all about looking beneath the surface of things. And when a non-Chassidic orthodox Jew fails to see beneath the surface he sets a bad example for the less religious, who also fail to see beneath the surface and so they are mezmirized by the brass buttons on Sharon's external uniform.

It is true that Likud leaders spent their lives fighting for the land. It is also true that none of them had a clue, even during those years fighting, of just what was going on, how malevolent the world is. And none of them have the spiritual tools internally to resist.

For instance, the U.S. has satellites that can see every settlement. Satellites that can actually read license plates on cars. Satellites that can listen to every phone call on earth even when those calls are scrambled. Satellites that can hear every conversation every Israeli leader has even over secure phone lines. The U.S. repeatedly calls in Israeli officials and shows them the pictures of expanded settlements and they demand, WHATS THAT???!!! The Israeli official has based his policy on thinking he can do things secretively, (trick like Yaakov who wanted go get silverware) be the political equivalent of a closet Jew and when he discovers that the U.S. CIA, which developed as a neo-Nazi organization full of ex-Nazis, can see right inside his closet, he gets embarrassed and does not know what to do and squirms, thinking that his plan has been foiled.

He has a choice of either coming out and saying all kinds of things about the land and the proper place of non-Jews in the land (that they may not, halachically, hold positions of authority such as mayorships, etc.), about which he does not even know the Halachos or he can persist that his little furtive tricks are the entity he will worship. He will then act like he is not committed to the truth about the land and hope for the day when he can manage once again to do in the closet secretly what is clearly being observed.

And many are too weak to behave properly under such circumstances and embarrassment. They are all ignorant and it is meaningless to think that a few stars on ones chest in the absence of Torah knowledge amounts to a hill of beans, and those Jews who think it does, whether religious or not, make a great mistake. They empowered Sharon to do the wrong thing by trusting him when they never should have. There were those who warned that Sharon should not be trusted and too many just wouldnt listen to those warnings. They empowered Sharon.

I think it is important to mention that Everything is in the hands of heaven except the fear of heaven.

I dont think it is adequate to just say that the heart of kings is in the hands of heaven. Clearly in history there have been disastrous and evil kings in Israel.

Last edited by Esrog; 12-11-2004 at 10:37 PM.
Unread 12-11-2004, 11:08 PM   #8
Esrog
Executive Member

By the way, I just saw an email sent out by a group called "Voice of Judea" with some interesting comments about Sharon and the situation in Israel. One of the interesting implications of the email is that the "disengagement" plan is in a sense based on a good intention to disengaged from the Arabs. It is just that this idea has deteriorated to the point of being used in the wrong way. The correct way is to disengage from the Arabs by transfering THEM, not the Jews. But "disengage" is not, of itself, a bad thing. This group is planning to hold a referendum on this in the town of Siderot which would be on the front line the new front line if Israel pulls out of Gaza. Very clever to hold a vote there if they can manage to set it up. Not too hard to set up in a single town. And the town has every right to vote on whether they should become the new perilous border should Sharon pull out of Gaza. Very hard for the Israeli government to keep every town in a whole region of Israel from voting on this since some towns would be willing to cooperate with such a referendum locally. Pray for the success of the referendum. Here are a couple of excerpts from the email:

3- SHARON'S DISENGAGEMENT WILL NEVER SATISFY THE ARABS OR THE AMERICANS.
IS BUSH PLANNING A MAJOR OFFENSIVE AGAINST ISRAEL ?

Sharon might be able to sell his disengagement debacle to some feeble members of his party by assuring them that the plan will now create final facts on the ground that will be accepted by the international community, however, there is every indication that his plan will only increase pressure on Israel to surrender more land.

Elliot Abrams, director of the National Security Council Middle East section and his recent clarification on this matter is further proof that the Americans consider the surrender of Gaza and the Northern Shomron as a first step in the direction of a complete withdrawal from all of Judea, Samaria and parts of Jerusalem.

Abrams controversial comments were made when speaking to American Jewish leaders recently. They were visiting Washington when Abrams told them, "It's clear to us that in the end, the settlements on the other side of the partition will be dismantled."

Abrams, considered a pro-Israel element in the American government, said that the US has no plans to suffice merely with the uprooting of the Jewish presence in northern Samaria and Gaza. He explained that the Americans will support Israel's retention of "settlement blocs" only if Israel uproots everything else in the Biblical heartland of Judea and Samaria.

Of even greater concern to pro-Yesha elements is a statement uttered just yesterday in a session of the Knesset Law Committee. Itamar Yaar, a senior figure in Israel's National Security Council, said outright, "The goal of the disengagement plan is to bring about a new reality, a permanent arrangement in which there will not be Jewish settlement in these areas [Judea and Samaria]."

Voice of Judea Commentary:

We have said all along, that the alleged security fence will turn into the new Auschwitz borders of Israel, and Sharon's plot of disengagement will simply be Gaza and Northern Shomron first, the rest of Judea and Samaria next, and then Sderot, Ashqelon and Tel Aviv. It is not as if the Arabs and the Americans are hiding their piece by piece strategy. Bush agreed to shelve his Road-Map to Auschwitz baby because it is much easier to allow Sharon to begin the dismantling of Jewish homes and the expulsion of Jews on his own than to try and force him to swallow everything at once. Even a man with the appetite of Ariel Sharon and with better than average swallowing skills, would have a hard time swallowing the whole roadmap in one gulp.

For the Americans and Arabs they are simply putting Israel in a mode of surrender, building momentum and precedent for the big kill. After all, if Sharon is giving away land and expelling Jews when there is no pressure and no deal, he will be expected to move forward when there is a new "make believe" peace agreement and when there is intense pressure to continue.

We can now better understand the timing and the context of the recent FBI set up of AIPAC which was clearly sanctioned by the Bush government. Bush is planning to make good on his strong pledge and commitment to British, Arab, other European and Pakistani diplomats. Bush fully intends on honoring his promise to get very involved in imposing a settlement upon Israel and the "Palestinians". I believe Mr. Bush when he says he will be making it a priority.

Those who fall over themselves praising the pro-Israel, Born-Again President Bush don't seem to get it: Bush just loves Israel to death. No pun intended. However, he loves America and his diplomatic ties with the rest of the world even more. And he loves his war on global terrorism. We all know the truth that Europe and the Arab and Muslim allies will never be true allies against Islamic terrorism. However, Bush feels that he needs them to isolate the extremist elements in the Muslim world. As the congressional findings in the 911 commission attest, Israel was a key factor that triggered Bin Laden's terror rampage. Bush erroneously believes that he will only be able to win his global war against Islamic terrorism by sacrificing Israel.

Bush, who is perceived as Israel's greatest friend is the only man who can get Israel to make the types of surrender that the international community expects. Ironically, Israel could not be worse off and the timing could not be any worse. Sharon is the only politician in Israel who could get away with quelling rightwing opposition to his plan, because he is perceived as the great nationalist rightist war hero. And Bush, who is perceived as the best friend Israel ever had is the only world leader who could get away with entrapping Israel to make the necessary suicidal concessions.

The timing of the AIPAC setup is no coincidence. AIPAC is Washington's top pro-Israel lobby. The Jerusalem Post reported Sunday that the FBI directed a Pentagon official to give the two AIPAC staffers intelligence about alleged dangers facing Israeli agents in northern Iraq, which AIPAC's Rosen and Weissman later allegedly shared with Israeli officials in Washington.

The Arab world, the Europeans and the Americans are about to launch an unprecedented diplomatic offensive to slice Israel down to size.

Sharon is walking right into the trap. Nobody will be there to argue Israel's case now that AIPAC has had their wings clipped off. AIPAC leaders will be expected to sit quiet and watch their own backs, so as not to be accused of wrong doing and of dual loyalty during the most critical time when they will be needed most. AIPAC leaders have received the message loud and clear: Dont make too much of a fuss for Israel during the upcoming months. Big brother is watching and may not be particularly sympathetic to pro-Israel elements who voice any harsh criticism of Washington policy at this time.

I KNOW THESE WORDS WILL BE HARD FOR OUR PATRIOTIC AMERICAN JEWS TO HANDLE. It is much rosier to believe that Bush loves Jews and Israel and that he will always be our savior. It is much easier on our wishful Jewish brains to play intellectual and mystical acrobatic mind games with our selves in the hope of concluding that Bush has lied to Europe and to everyone else and that in the end he will not make good on the promises he has made to them to secure their support for his war in Iraq. However, in the end logic wins out. Israel needs to do that which is good for Israeli interests. And it is clear that there are conflicts of interest between Israel and the United States. It does not matter if we think that Israel and the U.S. should stand alone against the rest of the world. What matters is what America thinks. And America is not prepared to stand alone with the Jews. They would much easier sacrifice the Jews. So lets stop fooling ourselves.

During the Holocaust the Americans would not make minor changes in their immigration quotas and they were thus partners in the annihilation of millions of Jews. America may be a great country and may be the greatest haven for Jews outside of Israel. However, America is America, and it would not be wise to expect the Americans to do more for Israel and the Jews than the Jews are prepared to do for themselves. And that which was is not always that which will be.

Israel must stop placing their faith in America and in man-made gods. Israel must place her faith in the G-d of Israel and stand proud and strong, ready to stand alone and ready to take all of the necessary steps to secure her G-d given borders. Israel must make it clear to the world: We expect nothing from anyone. We will fight for our survival. We will never surrender our land. Those who help us will be blessed in every sense of the word.

This policy might lead to partial or complete isolation. That is fine. It is better to stand alone and to know where we stand, than to fall like fools with some false perception of togetherness. The disengagement plan must be stopped! If anybody thinks that by Sharon giving away Gaza he will hault future U.S. pressure - they are only kidding themselves.

4- SHARON GAINS SUPPORT OF PARTY TO DISENGAGE -
HOW TO STOP THE DISENGAGEMENT:

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon overcame a major hurdle in his quest to withdraw from Gaza and parts of the Shomron when the Likud Central Committee voted to allow him to enter coalition talks with the opposition Labor Party.

Are you against the surrender of Gaza and the Shomron? If so - you might want to read the following plan sent out by "The Referendum For Israel":

Listen closely because time is running out. Sharon, the bulldozer is moving ahead to forge a coalition with Labor. The Likud party is backing him. The situation must be reversed quickly!

The majority of Israelis will only support the surrender of Gaza and Shomron if they are given no sound alternative that will bring about separation from large hostile population centers. The average Israeli does not wish to capitulate and to surrender land! So why do so many appreciate surrendering Gaza? Why is the Likud allowing Sharon to betray all of the Likud's platform? The answer is simple: They wish to distance themselves from as many Arabs as possible. If they were given a choice to keep the land and to expel the Arabs they would prefer that over surrendering the land and expelling the Jews from those areas. However, nobody has given them the chance to decide what form of disengagement should be implemented. When the average Israeli hears the term disengagement from Gaza, he hears disengagement from the Arabs. This is what the Israelis truly want.

Finally, a group known as "Referendum to Save Israel" is promoting a referendum that will give the Jews of Israel the right to choose for themselves which type of disengagement they support:

The surrender of Gaza and other areas and expulsion of the Jews or the expulsion of the hostile Arabs from Israel?

Yes, there is a way to disengage from the Arabs in Gaza and other areas of concern and to reatain Eretz Yisrael and all of our small Jewish homeland.

This is not to be confused with those who are calling for a Referendum about the Sharon disengagement plan. Such a referendum that only gives people the right to vote "yes" or "no" on Sharon's plan is doomed to failure, even if it should ever happen to come to a vote - Because so many Israelis would support leaving Gaza, so as to free themselves of the Arab threat posed by that huge Arab population center. The only referendum that could offer a true solution to that Arab threat and at the same time offer retention of the land is the referendum that we are proposing.

However, we are not waiting for anyone. Sharons train is moving ahead. And our referendum is being implemented independently. We are not seeking Sharon or Likud's blessings. And we will not wait for them to compose the wording for the referendum. The one who words the referendum wins the referendum. And we can not afford to lose.

The referendum will commence in Sderot in the upcoming days. The 20,000 residents of Sderot, the town most affected by the nearby Kassam rocket launchers, will have a chance to vote. The results of the first town that votes in the Referendum will have a major impact on the national discourse and the wording of any future referendum. Finally, a real proposal and alternative that could save Israel and that could be supported by a majority of Jews in Israel will be voiced and injected into the national discourse. How can Israel be saved, if people are too frightened to raise the only alternative that could effectively save Israel? The name of the game will now change indeed.

It is as good as throwing away your resources and money to help promote a referendum that only offers the Sharon plan of disengagement to be voted for or against. Just as a majority of Likud voters support Sharons' plan, a majority of Israelis also support leaving Gaza IF THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO DISTANCE OURSELVES FROM THE HUGE HOSTILE ARAB POPULATION THERE. We must quickly inject a real alternative into the Referendum equation. The referendum must include an alternative that will resolve the Arab demographic and terror threat and allow us to retain the entire land of Israel.

Volunteers who wish to help man the polling stations and donors who could help sponsor the printing, advertising and staff that will be needed to professionally execute this referendum to save Israel are asked to immediately send a generous contribution to the Referendum For Israel PO Box 6592 Jerusalem, Israel, 91060.

From US call 718 874 2057 or 011 972 544 876 709. From Israel call 02 500 4527 or 05444876 709. Join us in Sderot. Sponsor posters and ballots. Every 500 dollars means 1000 posters. Offices need to be rented in Sderot, Ofakim and Netivot. Join us and do something concrete to save Israel from Sharon's disengament/expulsion plot.

Last edited by Esrog; 12-11-2004 at 11:45 PM.
Unread 12-12-2004, 12:11 AM   #9
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

Keep in mind that if not for the Rebbe's intervention -- telling Sharon to stay with him a bit longer and take another flight -- Sharon would have been on a hijacked plane and most likely murdered. He is alive today because of the Rebbe's words. The Rebbe kept him alive so as to lead us to disaster? No, I think there are other things cooking here, though I don't claim to have any idea what they are.
Unread 12-12-2004, 06:10 AM   #10
Esrog
Executive Member

Yankel yes, I've often thought about that, the Rebbe's having saved Sharon. However, it is all a great mystery to me. This was really a sign to Sharon from Heaven. But it would seem that Sharon has not taken the hint and shown much appreciation. Chabad Rabbi Yitzchak Ginsburgh has been persecuted by the Sharon government. Sharon has willfully and maliciously destroyed synagogues where Jews pray because they were on some little plot of land he didn't like. Sharon brought Shinui into the government and allowed it to do terrible damage and to undermine rabbinical bodies that supervise important religious activities. These are monstrous things. Sharon has spent all his time trying to curry favor with those who hate Israel, the Land and the Torah. This is literally his obsession his OBSESSION. It consumes 99 and 44/100s % of his time. To prove to one and all no matter what that he hates the Land and Torah. Sharon isn't even doing one step forward and two steps back. It is nearly all back, back, back, back, back. And all the while using his status as a general and right winger and Likudnik to get away with murder. A Labor prime minister doing these things would be the subject of hysterical denunciations by Likud if Likud were in the opposition. If there is a blessing disguised in all this, it is very effectively disguised.
Unread 12-12-2004, 06:55 AM   #11
Esrog
Executive Member

Note as of this moment, while Sharon is bringing Labor into his government, which is universally being interpreted as sealing the fate of Jewish Gaza, there is a huge increase just in the last couple days of mortars and rockets hitting Jewish Gaza. This is a direct response to the appeasement. Killing Jews "works" so they are now trying to do more of it, G-d forbid. Meanwhile Palestinian leaders Abu Mazen and Abu Ala (whatever that means, last I checked "Abu" means "father of"), are now demanding that Israel hand over Jerusalem. Never satisfied, now they are pushing for more because we are rewarding their evil. And last but not least, Sharon's cabinet is now preparing a list of more terrorists to be released. All this from this morning's Arutz Sheva home page, http://www.israelnn.com/ . Sharon is a secular nationalist. He doesn not see the divinity in Jewish nationalism, so he feels guilty about being tough, like it's part of some recipe we can kill terrorists, but not too much, mind you....There has to be "balance" between left and right, right and wrong, tough and gentle....even with murderers.
Unread 12-12-2004, 01:59 PM   #12
Esrog
Executive Member

Letter from Jonathan Pollard:

I just saw this and I think it should make us cry out to Heaven. The chief rabbi of the Israel Defense Forces has instructed that soldiers disobey Hashem and uproot Jews from their homes and destroy their homes in Gaza without any due process whatsoever, simply because on a whim, today Sharon don't like Gaza. These are Jews who went to live in Gaza and made homes and lives and businesses and orchards and greenhouses and synagogues and schools and LIFE in Gaza under the direct approval and authority of the Israeli government, both Likud and Labor governments. But today Sharon don't like Gaza. Sharon thinks he is above G-d and can throw Jews out of their homes and synagogues and destroy them all and give the place to terrorists who will attack more Jews all on a whim, the whim of Ariel Sharon, because today Sharon don't like Gaza. Eeny, meeny, miny, moe. Who will Sharon next force to go?

And one of the most disgraceful things is that Sharon has now induced the Chief Rabbi of the IDF to DEBASE himself and support this evil decree which is against Torah.

I just saw a letter sent to that rabbi by none other than Jonathan Pollard. It is very moving and should make us all cry out to Heaven. Here is the text of Pollard's letter:

To: Brigadier General Rabbi Israel Weiss, Chief Rabbi of the IDF
From: Jonathan Pollard, 09185-016; FCI Butner, Butner NC, USA

Dear Rabbi Weiss,

As you know, our tradition teaches that a Jew does not sin unless he is afflicted by temporary insanity, a "ruach shtut". How else are we to understand why a G-d -fearing Jew like yourself, the Chief Rabbi of the IDF, would declare his support for orders to uproot thousands of Jews from their homes in the Land of Israel? I refer to your recent comments on IDF Radio supporting the evil disengagement plan and identifying secular military commanders and state officials as the ultimate authority which soldiers must obey. "Refusal to carry out orders is liable to bring about the collapse of the army and the end of the People of Israel's task," you said. "The army, the state is the authority." "We can't allow a soldier to do whatever he wants. This will bring a danger that the army will end its function and this nation will end its task," you declared.

With all due respect, Rabbi, it is difficult to imagine that you truly believe that it is the state and the army alone which protect us and ensure our viability as a People! The Jewish People lived for 2000 years without a state and without an army, under the grace of G-d A-lmighty - it is only because of His loving kindness and His will expressed as through the Laws of Torah, that we live in the Land today and continue to thrive as a People. When you visited with me 2 months ago, I told you that HaRav Mordecai Eliyahu, shlita, is my father. You replied joyfully, "We are sons of the same father! He is my father too!" You said that you consider HaRav Eliyahu to be your superior in Torah, and that before issuing any important Halachik ruling for the army, you first consult with him.

Surely you are aware that HaRav Eliyahu has unequivocally declared that it is forbidden for G-d -fearing soldiers to obey orders to uproot Jews from the Land! HaRav Eliyahu has ruled that it is better for soldiers to sit in prison than to take part in the expulsion of Jews from their homes. Rabbi Weiss, in light of your apparent disregard for the psak Halacha of your own rabbinic superior, how can you expect thousands of soldiers to rely on you?

In my dealings with Jewish leaders over the past 20 years, it is clear to me that often Heaven raises a man up to a position of power and authority not as a reward, but as a test. It is obvious that in this lifetime, G-d has placed you, of all men, in the unique position of being able to single-handedly defeat the immoral disengagement plan. You, amongst all men, can say "No!" to disengagement, and in so doing, support thousands upon thousands of soldiers to do the same! No other rabbi living in the Land today, is in such a powerful position as you are, in regard to this issue.

Just as good government never depends on laws, but upon the moral character of those who govern, so too an army depends not upon specific orders, but upon the personal qualities (midot) of its leaders. The functioning of the army is always subordinate to the will of those who administer it. The most important element of an army is who its leaders are. And Torah is the software that transforms it into a Jewish army. Without our divine software, we are nothing but machines and uniforms.

Rabbi Weiss, it appears that you are now being tested as both soldier and rabbi. You must now choose between your officer's commission and the yoke of Torah; between serving G-d or serving man.

Your choice will set the model for all G-d -fearing soldiers. It will also determine whether your name is revered for all generations as the rabbi who stood up to secular power in defense of the Land; or, G-d forbid, remembered as the rabbi who betrayed Jewish soldiers into defaming Torah and desecrating the Land.

Therefore, I plead with you to retract your statements regarding the disengagement plan! It is imperative that you issue a new ruling in harmony with the psak Halacha of HaRav Mordecai Eliyahu. Retracting now, especially since it is Chanukah, would be a great kiddush HaShem, in the best tradition of Mattityahu HaMaccabee himself.

I implore you to act now in the tradition of Gideon, of Yehoshua Bin Nun, and of Yehuda HaMaccabee! Be a Jewish warrior in defense of the Land! Say "No!" to disengagement! Kavod HaRav, by retracting your previous position and openly encouraging soldiers not to participate in uprooting Jews from the Land, you will create a powerful model of Tshuva not only for the soldiers but for all of Israel. You will bring relief to the Nation and honor to the Israel Defense Forces.

As it is written in Tehillim: "Some trust in chariots, some trust in horses; but we rely solely upon Hashem, our G-d!" As upholders of Torah we know that G-d and G-d alone is the ultimate authority for a Jew.

Respectfully,
Jonathan Pollard

Last edited by Esrog; 12-12-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Unread 12-12-2004, 08:18 PM   #13
Esrog
Executive Member

More evil wrought by Sharon just today

Immediately after Sharon moved to bring Labor into his knowledge-of-good-and-evil coalition, the Arabs, who understand exactly what is happening even though the Jews dont, made a massive attack on Jewish Gaza

Massive attack on IDF in Gaza

http://www.israelnn.com/news.php3?id=73473

Imagine. No matter how much land Israel gives up there is always some lousy good-for-nothing border at the edge of it that still needs to be gotten rid of. Imagine! Those blasted borders! Why cant we just get rid of them all! Borders? Who needs em? They never brought us anything but trouble. So from now on, we just wont have borders. Theres always trouble there.

Meanwhile, an aide to Sharon says that, why, the massive attack will not delay the release of over a hundred terrorists, you know what, come to think of it, as a matter of fact. Ha ha! THATLL show the terrorists!

http://www.israelnn.com/news.php3?id=73448

And in a RELATED development, the Sunday Times of London is quoting Shimon Peres as saying that he expects Sharon to ultimately withdraw from all the territories

http://www.israelnn.com/news.php3?id=73459

Of course. What else. Thats the deal. Thats how Sharon convinced Peres to let him into the Labor party. Such kavod doesnt come cheap, you know.
Unread 12-15-2004, 11:16 AM   #14
Esrog
Executive Member

Welp, moving right along with the "good" news on Chanukah, the Israeli Supreme Court just ruled that Hareidi schools in Israel may no longer receive government aid unless they accept secular requirements impossible for religious schools. This despite the fact that those requirements were set precisely because the public schools hadn't been too successful in such areas as math, and the students in religious schools had actually been scoring higher in areas such as math than the public schools! Curious that this happened right after the religious parties agreed to form a new government with Likud that would include Labor. In any case, it would seem that the powers in Israel are giving with one hand and taking away with the other. But the ruling apparently doesn't go into effect for a couple of years, beginning in the 2007-2008 school year, so perhaps they will get to stop it.

http://www.israelnn.com/news.php3?id=73649

MK Meir Porush (United Torah Judaism) said in response, "We are ashamed that the Supreme Court of the State of Israel has declared that this is not a Jewish State."

Why are all these terrible things happening on Chanukah?
Unread 12-15-2004, 12:16 PM   #15
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esrog
Why are all these terrible things happening on Chanukah?
What makes you so sure these things are all terrible. Most of them are just hot air: "intentions" "announcements" "declarations" yadayadayada.

As for the decision of the Israeli Supreme Court, it is probably for the best--the Rebbe often spoke about Rabbis and Rosh Yeshivas keeping quiet about the governments decisions to give away land, etc, because they were dependent on the medina for $$$ for their Yeshivas. If the yeshivas are no longer connected to the government for their livelihood, they will no longer be so reluctant to speak out about issues that need to be addressed.

Don't read so much news, Esrog!
Unread 12-15-2004, 05:53 PM   #16
Esrog
Executive Member

Yankel, I don't read so much news. Only a few websites really tell the news. I just glance at their headlines and if there is something important I read it. And I don't buy newspapers.

Yankel, I have a lot of mixed feelings about what you said.

You mention that "the Rebbe often spoke about Rabbis and Rosh Yeshivas keeping quiet about the governments decisions to give away land, etc, because they were dependent on the medina for $$$ for their Yeshivas." Did the Rebbe say what they should then do about it? Did he say they should renounce government support? I'm eager to hear if he spoke to that because it would imply a lot about the situation. Has Chabad never received government aid in Israel? Didn't some of the money that helped build Kfar Chabad or something come from the government partly? (I'm not sure about that, I just have a vague recollection...) What does all this mean in terms of action?

I visited Israel many years ago. I prayed in Jerusalem at the Wailing Wall. I also davened at a building called "Haichal Shlomo" a building in Jerusalem of around 6 floors that was just devoted to minyanim, the whole building. One could walk in at any time and somewhere in the building, in one of its endless rooms, there was a minyan starting right when you arrived. Dozens and dozens of rooms and each one was a separate synagogue with an arun and sefer Torah. It was wonderful and marvelous. And I just marveled that the building was built by --- yup --- the Israeli government. It was so inspiring to see a country where they recognize my religion, instead of like here in the U.S. where at best the goyim are "putting up with" my religion.

When I was in Israel, there were mezuzahs on the gates to the Old City of Jerusalem. Some were in disrepair or needed checking. The Israeli government simply cannot be "neutral" on archeological sites and artifacts. These are tourist attractions. The government is involved with the upkeep of the Old City and so forth. What should the government do? Provide upkeep for the mezuzahs of the gates? Or not provide upkeep for the mezuzahs of the gates?

I was once fired for Shabbos observance here in the U.S. and I stupidly called the Anti-Defamation Leaque about it, stupidly thinking they would actually help, and they treated me almost like a criminal, like I had to prove infinitely to them that they had really fired me for Shabbos observance and not some other reason (I was an exceptional employee). And then the ADL told me I would be put on a waiting list a mile long because they only have one person working on all the cases of people fired for Shabbos observance and also because, really, they are busy defending Barbara Steisand's aching need to buy a co-op in Manhattan. Why shouldn't there be a Jewish government to help Jews?

Incidentally, I have heard that life is very hard in Israel, there is a housing shortage and some people are forced to pay a fortune in rent in advance, things like that. How on earth will the yeshivas in Israel survive with life so hard, if there is no government help?

You are not saying the Rebbe actually wanted the yeshivas to renounce government aid. Unless he indicated that, I can't help but think the loss of aid is a terrible development.

Israel gets everything America got only later. Decades after the 1960s had come and gone, Israelis suddenly decided that they had to have a 1960s anti-war movement too and "Peace Now" became a big thing. Now Israelis like Tommy Lapid have "discovered" the Haskalla movement. So they have to persecute religious Jews. It's in vogue! It's the LATEST! The Haskalla movement was a fad. But it still lasted for centuries and drove people to the point of obsession. Part of my fear is that this Supreme Court move in Israel is the beginning of a more major trend, G-d forbid, and not just a lot of hot air.

I am also reminded of an instance in New Jersey where a judge ordered a Jew who had built a succah to take it down because it violated building codes. So much for freedom of religion in the Land of the Free. (It was also comical. The judge told the Jew, "You have one week to take that thing down!")

Here is an interesting question: What percentage of Israeli Jews are observant as compared to the percentage of American Jews that are observant? There are whole cities in Israel that are observant. Jerusalem recently elected a frum mayor. Could this happen in an American city? Isn't some of this frumkeit in Israel partly due to the financial assistance the government provides in various ways? If the government is going to reach into the pockets of religious Jews and tax them, why shouldn't it spend some of that on the needs of those religious Jews?

Incidentally, the Rebbe made a big thing about "Tzivos Hashem" the concept, not just the organization. My impression was that he wanted to emphasize that when a Jew is in Yeshiva he is acting as part of the army of Hashem just by learning. My impression was that the Rebbe was in favor of preserving the army deferment for yeshiva students. Doesn't this stand in contrast to what you are saying? The government clearly gives preferencial treatment to yeshiva students with respect to not having to go into the army. Should this be cancelled so that yeshivas don't feel dependent on the government for this favor?

My feeling is that it is truly impossible for the Jewish State and even the government of the Jewish State to have nothing to do with the Jewish religion. There are simply too many ways that the state and the religion have to overlap. It is nice "comfort" to say, "Welp, government aid wasn't really so good anyway..." We can come up with excuses like that every time the government continues to give the shaft to the Jewish religion. But step by step the government is hurting Yiddishkeit, undermining it. Sharon wrecked demolished at least two synagogues for no good reason. Just, he no like. One was built as a memorial to terror victims. What will we say about that? Some excuse about how it's just as well?

Incidentally, a while back Sharon made moves that were highly conciliatory to terrorists. In an exchange he traded terrorist murderers to free some family friend of his who turned out to have been a drug dealer on a drug deal when he was captured by the terrorists. Every Jew should be saved. But to free droves of mass murderers just to save one drug dealer who was a personal friend, while not saving all the other Jews who are threatened by terrorists (about which Sharon does nothing, e.g., in Gaza where Arabs continue shelling with impunity) this is really a disgrace. And at the time that Sharon made these conciliatory moves to terrorists literally right after suddenly there was an earthquake in Israel, and a crack developed right in the ceiling of Sharon's office. It would seem that Heaven is not pleased with Sharon. It does not seem to me that Heaven is telling us, "Nu, it's just as well...."

Last edited by Esrog; 12-15-2004 at 06:38 PM.
Unread 12-15-2004, 06:13 PM   #17
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esrog
The judge told the Jew, "You have one week to take that thing down!")
Don't you see: the judge wanted to deny the Jew his sukkah...but the Judge decided otherwise. Like Yosef being sold into Mitzrayim, etc.

Every Yerida is for the sake of Aliyah. Even the yeridos that Tommy Lapid votes for.
Unread 12-15-2004, 07:04 PM   #18
Esrog
Executive Member

Yankel, okay. Every yerida is for the purpose of an aliyah. Firstly, that's bidievid. As the Tanya says, if one sins for the purpose of a subsequent aliyah, he is denied an auspicious opportunity to repent. We are in the middle of these terrible yeridas, they have just started this new Likud-Labor coalition thing and one must fight against the evil plans that this new coalition is clearly promoting. One cannot sit around and say it is good because yeridas are good since they lead to aliyas........

You say that even the yeridas of Tommy Lapid will lead to aliyas. Can you point to practical examples of how it will play out that way?

Here is what I see. Imagine there is a house where the parents are not at home and the children are in a state of hysterics, marching and rampaging around the house in a wild, hysterical way, screaming and wildly having fun and breaking things and smashing windows, and destroying furniture and playing with fire and so on, G-d forbid. Sheer pandemonium. That is what I see going on in Israel today.

I am reminded of a relative of mine who watches television and told me of an episode of some fictional TV series where someone with beautiful china in a lovely glass case made vicious anti-Semitic remarks to a Jewish guest. On his way out, the Jewish guest casually knocked over the beautiful glass case with the china.

That is what is needed in Israel. Someone needs to make an "outrageous" tumult to put a stop to this wild, hysterical pandemonium right now, like a splash of cold water in the face, so that the wild lunancy of the children comes to a stop right now. Israelis are acting like wild, hysterical, unattended children. Someone needs to get slapped.
Unread 12-16-2004, 10:16 AM   #19
Esrog
Executive Member

Perhaps I have just found the answer to my question. I asked above, "Why are all these terrible things happening on Chanukah?" Evidently, the reason is that it only gets even worse once Chanukah is over. Sharon just announced that Israel will attend a Mideast conference early next year. What does this mean? Why can't Israel just meet one-on-one with other states? What is the very meaning of a "conference"? It means one of Israel, and lots of everybody else. So they can outnumber Israel. So they can gang up on Israel. So they can all tell Israel that Israel committing suicide is the "democratic thing to do." So that all the countries outside the Mideast, not one single solitary one of them a true friend, can all pressure Israel as a favor to the Arabs to get get them to give them more oil. A mideast conference means and means exactly one thing Israel is going to have to give up the West Bank and eventually Jerusalem, etc. etc. etc. Does anyone in their wildest dreams imagine that there is one single solitary eency weency itty bitty smidgeon of an iota of a little country attending that conference who has anything on its mind except that Israel has to commit suicide so that they can get more oil? Sharon had said he was against a conference. Well, this spineless jellyfish is now saying five minutes later okay, we'll have a conference. The moment, the instant, the microsecond Israel steps into that conference, more Jews will die. There is no silver lining to this. None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Mideast conferences always mean exactly one thing. Israel must cut off its leg in order to save the other one. Sure we want to help Israel! But first, you Jews will have to help us help you! By committing suicide! Israel must pay up! Israel must get out! Juden raus! It's the democratic thing to do! Jews out! Out, out, out. Everything else will be pilpulim. Any promises or committments or guarantees by other states will go unfulfilled. Only Israel bleeding will be fulfilled. The Israeli negotiators will be shuttled around from room to room with other negotiators threatening and screaming and yelling and pressuring and haranguing Israel into making more concessions. It will be exactly like Munich. A pack of Nazis and Nazi collaborators standing around haranging the victim and then sticking him with a needle when he starts to faint over the pressure and then shoving a pen into his hand to sign in his drugged state. (That's exactly what happened during the suicidal concessions made at the start of World War II, as told by William Shirer in "The Rise And Fall of the Third Reich.") International Mideast conferences are so evil, so demonic, so murderous, so ANTI-SEMITIC that an Israeli leader who sends Israel to one now is no different from a moser, a collaborator with Israel's enemies. There is exactly zero difference now between Sharon and a moser. Sharon sent a letter agreeing to the conference to the British. The British??????? Since when were the British Israel's friend? When they wouldn't let Jews into Israel after the Holocaust? When they sided with the Arabs and let them massacre Jews under the "mandate"? When they refused to bomb the rail lines to Auschwitz owing to the "technical difficulties"? No wait. I need to keep guessing. What is this Nazi collaborator Sharon doing sending letters to England? Jews are going to die because of this "conference." What friend of Israel will attend this conference? I have yet to hear of one. All these states are determined to pay in the currency of Jewish blood to curry favor with the oil states. That's it. That is all the conference is. The Knesset should have long ago passed a law to make it illegal to attend conferences. They serve exactly only one purpose to suck Israel's blood like a vampire. Should I use nice words? Why? To paper over the truth? Mark my words. If Sharon walks into that conference he will walk out drenched in Jewish blood. You may not see it visually. It may not show up in the nice photographs in Time Magazine. But mark my word. The instant Sharon walks into that conference, he will be walking out drenched in Jewish blood.

Israel to Attend Mideast Talks

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...l_palestinians

Last edited by Esrog; 12-16-2004 at 10:23 AM.
Unread 12-16-2004, 10:59 AM   #20
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

re: Yeshivas and government financing

Quote:
Rabbi Druckman Refuses to Accept Blood Money
Recently certain chareidi MKs have explained their intention to join the government as being in order to rehabilitate the religious councils. In response, Rabbi Dovid Meir Druckman, Rav of Kiryat Motzkin, stated, the situation of the religious councils is absolutely terrible. In our town, Kiryat Motzkin, the religious council is working in a situation of grave shortages, where we can hardly afford to buy postage stamps for our mail. The salaries of the Rabbis have not been taken care of for the past six months (and for that we can thank the Likud-NRP-Shinui government).
Rabbi Druckman admits that not receiving a proper salary has led to many difficulties, even to the point that he needs loans to cover daily expenses. However, if salaries and other financial issues can only be resolved by supporting the government, which would then lead to the implementation of the disengagement plan and to more terror, placing Israeli citizens in mortal danger, he would be prepared to give up the salary that he would otherwise gain from such a move. To Rabbi Druckman, it is not worth supporting this government in order to rehabilitate the religious councils in the manner of the chareidi parties, because the price to the Jewish nation is just too high.
(SOURCE:COL.ORG.IL)
Unread 12-16-2004, 06:52 PM   #21
Esrog
Executive Member

So then Yankel, what's doing with Shas and UTJ now? What have you heard about their negotiations with Likud and Labor? Evidently they play a role in whether the new Labor-Likud coalition has enough seats. It sounds to me like Sharon and his associates have spent months and months kicking the religious parties around like a mangy dog and then demanding that the religious parties lick the bloody hand that beat them...for a crumb of bread.

And now Sharon has agreed to another international "Peace Conference." It is nothing more or less than a VAMPIRE CONVENTION. Israel will show up and all the other nations will gather round and suck their blood. Everyone will be very polite. They will all bring silk napkins to the vampire convention. Everyone will say it is peace in our time, and they will all daintily wipe the corners of their mouthes with their delicate silk napkins while they suck Israel's blood. Even Sharon.

How will the religious parties justify to themselves joining this new government which is now off to help the world suck Israel's blood?
Unread 12-21-2004, 06:21 PM   #22
Esrog
Executive Member

Adir Zik: Sharon Is Collaborator!

Adir Zik, the popular Israeli talk show host, has charged that Sharon made a secret deal to curry favor with the Europeans, in which he agreed to hand over basically all the territories, not just Gaza and all the claims that he is saving Israel from worse by just giving up Gaza are lies. Zik says the security fence is really a border fence the new Auschwitz borders for Israel.

Adir Zik: Wake Up! Its A Border! Not A Security Fence!

http://www.israelnn.com/news.php3?id=73960

Sharon is planning to make all of the territories Judenrein! (Jew free.) Zik also says that secret plans have been hatched to create left wing militias who will help the left-wing Sharon government enforce the decree against the settler untermenschen.

I am reminded of the story from the Holocaust about a little boy named Ben-Issachar Feld. During the Holocaust many Jews thought it inconceivable that the Germans intended to exterminate the Jews. After all! They needed us for slave labor! Some Jews learned the truth and sent Feld, passing as a little German boy, all over Europe from one Jewish community to another, bringing with him a cryptic secret warning. The message he was to give was simply, Aunt Esther has turned up again and is at Megilla Street 7, apartment 4. He became known in history as Benno The Messenger. His cryptic message was really a reference to Esther 7:4, which says, For we have been sold, I and my people, to be destroyed, slain and exterminated! Had we been sold as slaves and maidservants, I would have kept quiet, for the adversary is not worthy of the kings damage.

Among other things, Zik says Israels foreign minister is suddenly being treated all over Europe like royalty and given the red carpet treatment and since the Europeans foam at the mouth with hatred for Israel and Jews, this could not possibly have happened unless Sharon had sold us out.

I have also come upon this interesting little tidbit: Sharons claim to fame is mainly that he played a key role in conquering the Sinai (which he later moved heaven and earth to get rid of) by seizing the crucial Sinai Mitla Pass. This happened on June 6-7, 1967. June 7, 1967 corresponds to Iyyar 28 the yartzeit of Shmuel Hanavi Samuel the Prophet.

What is Samuel the Prophet especially known for? He anointed King David and he anointed King Saul. Saul was a great warrior, but then he fell from his level, never returned to it and went on an ego trip of liberal compassion (to put it in a modern vernacular) and went soft on the Amalekites. He met his downfall for this, G-d rejected him and he never returned to the greatness of his earlier years. G-d had Samuel replace him with David.

Does history repeat itself? Torah says yes. Do you have any doubt whatsoever who Sharon is reflecting more, David or Saul?

My point is that history is repeating itself and foolish people should stop kidding themselves and deceiving themselves and dreaming and wishing that Sharon is going to return to his former level.

Last edited by Esrog; 12-21-2004 at 06:31 PM.
Unread 12-21-2004, 07:47 PM   #23
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

, - - ; ,

Zecharia 11:17
"Ho, worthless shepherd, who abandons the flock! A sword is on his arm and his right eye; his arm shall wither, and his right eye shall dim."

Rashi: "Ho" There is reason to cry out concerning this.