Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > The World of Lubavitch > Shlichus

Unread 02-16-2002, 08:24 PM   #1
CheBraccia

Jewish music for secular kids

I know there was a large thread elsewhere regarding Jewish music in general, but I thought I would start a new one regarding actual artists/CD's.

I am posting it here as it's from a Shlichus perspective.

Not long ago, I took some kids on a trip, and while we were on the bus I introduced them to some Jewish music. The kids - who are all secular - loved the CD I played (Destiny 4) and I promised to get them some copies - which I already have.

My question is, what other Jewish music do you guys know that would be suitable for secular crowds. Hebrew music is a no-no, because most do not speak or understand it, and they therefor don't like it. They really loved the Destiny type songs and the words behind them (they found it very meaningful and it had a great effect on them). On the other hand, they were not so impressed by Shlock Rock (surprisingly enough...)

No need to get into the "is this music really Jewish" perspective, the way I see it, it's much better than anything else they listen to!
CheBraccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2002, 09:49 PM   #2
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

Actually, this may surprise you, but I admire Destiny a lot. I hate the tapes where a posuk or other Torah is thrown on to a tune. I like the English songs the most, when well written, and Abie Rotenberg is definitely the best.

Country Yossi might work, or MBD English Classics, there are 4 tapes called JEP, and a best of JEP, Wake up Yidden, and they might like (depending on age and "coolness") some of the Jewish story tapes.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2002, 10:14 PM   #3
CheBraccia

I think the reason the kids liked it, was because the music is great and it's kinda up to date (not the old man singing to the guitar kind of a thing)...

I don't think they'll go for MBD, it's too old-fashioned for them (I personally like it). Is there anything else that is similar to Destiny? I never heard the other Destiny's but are they as good as this one?

If you can give me titles of good ones that would make things the easiest.

Thanks again.
Unread 02-16-2002, 10:37 PM   #4
Jac
Silver Member

There's Destiny 1,2, and 3, but 4 is definitely the most modern and up to date. You'll find a similar style with "Journeys."
There are lots of English songs which they'd probably enjoy by women singers, but that would only work if the kids were girls only, which I doubt.

Bittul, if you don't like tapes with Torah pesukim, then there really isn't much of Jewish music left! What DO you like then? (There aren't many English types, unless you also go for tapes like "Variations" which are purely non-Jewish tunes.)
Jac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2002, 12:46 PM   #5
Jude
Executive Platinum Member

Journeys and Variations are good ideas.
There's a tape called The Road Home. It's a Suki and Ding tape, songs composed and sung by Meyer Linden. Very highly recommended, songs in English about Yiddishkeit, a kiruv production.

How about Moshe Yess and the Megama Duo? How about his Rock to the Redemption?

Also the Diaspora Yeshiva Band

Even though they don't know Hebrew, Carlebach was extremely popular among non-Hebrew speaking crowds. There's a new guy, played on JM in the AM, called Moshe Dovid, who has a folksy, Carelbach sound, they might like.

What about Safam? They sing English stuff.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2002, 01:35 PM   #6
PeaceInIsrael

just the other day while at a chabad house program with 2 and 3 graders we were working on an art and crafts.
i had forgotten to bring my own tapes and looked around the classroom for smthing to play.
i found an old copy of country yossi i was thinking omg they are gonna boo this tape.
the kids loved it!!
they were shushing each other so that they could hear the tape properly it was a real hit!
PeaceInIsrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2002, 01:40 PM   #7
Jude

just checking, when you and an earlier poster refer to Country Yossi, you mean the one who puts out the free magazine? You don't mean Uncle Yossi Goldstein the storyteller, right?

though speaking of storytellers: Rabbi Burston's story tapes are super, kids love them, he's funny and tells great stories, the fact that he's talking to kids, live, makes it all the more enjoyable
Unread 02-17-2002, 04:15 PM   #8
mendelp
Silver Member

Shlomo Carlebach??? Feh How is a chossid shayoch to such stuff? Actualy I heard from a Mashpia back in my msivta days not to listen to shlomo.
mendelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2002, 04:43 PM   #9
Jude

I would agree with you only if you will include all other non-Chabad music.
Unread 02-17-2002, 04:48 PM   #10
mendelp
Silver Member

Shlomo (as an idividual) with his music went hepech the Rebbe's Ratzon. Heard it from that mashpia (this goes back 20 years or so).
Unread 02-17-2002, 04:59 PM   #11
Jude

no argument with that
I'm just saying that by the same token, don't play Shlock Rock or any other suggestion made in this thread
this thread was started with the idea of compromise in mind
perhaps this compromising when it comes to music is not a good idea to begin with
then again, as I quoted in the Jewish music thread, people like Moshe Yess and Piamenta got encouragement from the Rebbe to use their music to reach out to the unaffiliated. If Carlebach"works," I don't see why his music should be any different. Now you might say, that Yess and Piamenta became Lubavitch. To that I say, are you saying that only music played by Lubavitchers (whether secular type music or not) is acceptable? I doubt it.
Unread 02-17-2002, 06:18 PM   #12
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

Jude, I definitely meant the Country Yossi song tapes, as in the magazine, not uncle Yossi. And as someone else mentioned, Megama and the Moshe Yess solos are really good. I mentioned JEP too.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2002, 07:45 PM   #13
CheBraccia

You don't have to agree with someones philosophy to listen to ones music. That goes for Carlebach. Personally, here it won't "go" because the kids need music with less "ups 'n downs" (I mean normall modern sounding music, not a zaidy with a jumpy voice - sorry)...

If you think it's improper to listen to his music, you are entitled to that opinion. But I think this is a decision that should be based on how the music makes you feel.

Back to specific ones.

Best of Destiny is one that would go... Still on the look out for more...
Unread 02-17-2002, 08:43 PM   #14
Clip

Abie Rotenberg is an absolute genius. Journeys and Destiny have the same basic idea, but they're two different styles of music ... So it can suit two different kinds of people?? Trying to be optimistic here.
Unread 02-17-2002, 08:47 PM   #15
ChachChach
Gold Member

umm...i hate to point this out, but country yossie uses nonjewish music, and fits jewish words into it....when you're compromising here, do you mean to say that you'll let them listen to nonjewish musics with jewish words?

Down with politics!
ChachChach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2002, 09:53 PM   #16
Jude

613 Torah Ave. and Uncle Moishy use some non-Jewish music with Jewish words, and who doesn't listen to those ...
actually, the new generation of kids probably have no clue what the originals are and think these are Jewish songs, does it matter? (I guess we've been through that in the other thread)
Unread 02-17-2002, 10:31 PM   #17
mendelp
Silver Member

<> true, but why davka someone who specificaly had a hora'ah not to go into music? Have them listen to others, where one could at least argue that it is jewish. Mah shein kein shlomo's music which exists hepech the Rebbes rotzon.
Unread 02-18-2002, 04:07 AM   #18
CheBraccia

I definitely agree with you that Shlomo shouldn't be a top priority (and in my case it's rock bottom). But if that's the only thing that would rock their boat I would certainly consider it.
Unread 02-18-2002, 09:18 AM   #19
Jude

<>

never heard that, do you have a source?

another suggestion: Metalish

Last edited by Jude; 02-18-2002 at 10:26 AM.
Unread 02-18-2002, 03:31 PM   #20
BLewbavitch
Silver Member

BH

<>

Absolutely agree, Rebbetzin Chana told someone (I heard it from the persons son) that the Rebbe literally cried because of Sholomo Carlibach, besides he is someone who went exactly Hepech the Rebbe and is probably the only Shliach the Rebbe took the title of Shliach off him!

In my personal view, in a Chabad house I think it's a "slap in the face" to the Rebbe to sing and Koch in him! (I personally donít and will NEVER (Bli Neder) sing his songs)

BLewbavitch

:)"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life.":)
BLewbavitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2002, 04:33 PM   #21
mendelp
Silver Member

<<
<>

never heard that, do you have a source? >>

Heard it as a kid if you ask those that were around those years they will confirm it.
Unread 02-18-2002, 07:49 PM   #22
PeaceInIsrael

<<(I personally donít and will NEVER (Bli Neder) sing his songs)>>

you obviously feel very strongly about this.
so let me dare to ask...

will you listen to morderchai ben david?
shloime dachs? yehuda glantz?
yehuda? moshe yess?
i wont go naming all those new guys (or even the old ones)

do you have a cheshbon hanefesh on all those people?
how do you know that the songs that they sing wont have a negative effect on your neshama?
how do you know that they are yirai shomayim?
how can you listen to any music other then nigunim?

this guy failed a spiritual test.
but hes not the only one, i dont have to tell you that.

to me this is a double standard.

feel free to explain urself.
Unread 02-18-2002, 07:56 PM   #23
Jude

ditto
that's why I wrote earlier - no argument about Carlebach if you don't listen to any other musicians either
I asked someone, who said he never heard about the Rebbe telling him anything about music. This doesn't mean it didn't happen - I'm just waiting for a reputable source. Because then, I WOULD see a difference, like you said.
Unread 02-18-2002, 09:46 PM   #24
BLewbavitch
Silver Member

BH

OK, let me explain.

When someone goes specifically against the Rebbe's wishes, I should go and listen to exactly what he went against?? And if you will say "well what about all those like S. Dachs... that sing non-Jewish tunes" Well 1) I'm not endorsing them or saying they are right, and NO I won't listen to most of them (also because they sound awful). And 2) [this I heard from someone that was there] On two occasions they started singing Carlibach by a Farbrengen and the Rebbe told them to stop.
I hate arguing over it, I think everyone should do whatever they feel like, but one has to know all the details!

BLewbavitch

:)"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life.":)
BLewbavitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2002, 10:53 PM   #25
PeaceInIsrael

blew, no one is attacking you personally.
you are not the only one with these views.

<>

theres a difference between the rebbe not wanting something sung at a fabrengen and..

<>

(im sure thats not the only thing that the rebbe wouldnt want to be sung at a farbrengen)

but why the anger.

im not refering to this site only. ive heard alot of garbage come out of ppls mouth when they talk about him.
i heard an elder lubavitcher talk about him in a terrible way and then said, oh i shouldnt of even have said his name.

you dont like the guy bc he didnt listen to the rebbe, fine.
thats understandable.
dont listen to him.

true he made mistakes, he pushed shulchan oruch to the limit and beyond.
im not excusing anything he did.
but this man was not evil. he was a good jewish soul but losts his way a little.

what the excuse for the venom? suddenly we have the right to talk about another jew (who has passed on to olam hoemes) in such a way.

again, this is a terrible double standard.

Last edited by PeaceInIsrael; 02-18-2002 at 10:56 PM.
PeaceInIsrael is offline   Reply With Quote