Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Halachah & Minhagim

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Unread 09-20-2002, 03:08 PM   #326
chocolatechips

thanks a lot, noah, for attempting to answer. But the fact is, that answer doesn't help me much. Maybe you guys just can't seem to understand this. Maybe its just one of my shtuyot, but THAT ANSWER DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. I mean, maybe it works for you guys, but hey, it just DOES NOT work for me and lots of other teens, both on this forum and not. I mean, I can understand lots of things, but one thing I can not seem to get is that the music just comes from your soul. and noah what you said about singing happy songs when you are in a good mood, etc, well sometimes you'll have a happy song stuck in your head, even if you are in a bad mood. I know that might not work, but its a valid point. Anyway, I probably make no sense. I'm just really confused about the whole jewish music thing. I guess its just one of those things that I'll never get.

~chocolate chips~
Unread 09-20-2002, 04:55 PM   #327
Lubamessimaniac
Silver Member

My Turn! :-)

1. I agree with Noahides - OTW, what he's saying is true. Let me just try to expand a bit on that. The beauty of music is that it conveys a certain feeling. Some of us call that a spiritual feeling - because it's really not anything tangible. Like everything in this world, there is good spirituality and bad spirituality. The problem is that music, being not-tangible, is not realized to be bad for your soul, just like food with mold is bad for the body. The music, whether we like it or not, will always manage to bring out that spirituality from the depth of the person who wrote it to the depth of the person who happens to be listening.

Chocchips, you seems to be a person who doesn't like hearing about spiritual stuff much - I think you'd rather hear about the practicality. But what you have to understand is that music is like a spiritual drug. It has tendencies to bring the listener to a different mindframe. A person won't say, "Hey, I'm going to take drugs because the difference is only in the mindframe," because tachlis, the long term effect is much more. I think it's the same with music. I'm sure I once wrote the science experiment of the mice - the mice who listened to one type of music literally developed differently than their counterparts! So there is a quite practical difference eventually... butit's exactly that - eventually.
Unread 09-23-2002, 02:36 AM   #328
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

BS"D Check out "Totally Chassidic", with piano by Yaron Gershovsky. This is the most powerful rendering of Chassidishe niggunim I have ever heard.
Unread 09-23-2002, 02:41 AM   #329
noahidelaws

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by chocolatechips
THAT ANSWER DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.
BS"D How about this: go up to a musician, even a non-Jewish one, and ask him if he thinks music is just a technical skill, just a pretty combination of sounds, or something very deep and spiritual? Let me know the response, please!
Unread 09-23-2002, 07:43 PM   #330
WanderingJew
Executive Member

while on that note...Avinu Malkenu, Avraham Fried's latest release, is breathtaking. the Chabad niggunim he chose to include just come alive. rated ten out of ten.
Unread 09-23-2002, 08:10 PM   #331
Shlucha
Silver Member

is it out yet? I heard he was making a new one, but I didn't know it came out already.
Unread 09-23-2002, 08:28 PM   #332
zaque36
Silver Member

yeah, its out and its amazing.
Unread 09-23-2002, 08:32 PM   #333
Shlucha
Silver Member

bye, I'm off to Judaica World!!
Unread 10-01-2002, 01:35 PM   #334
Lubamessimaniac
Silver Member

I'm in absolute agreeance with you guys on Avinu Malkeinu - Avremel, if you read this, kol hakavod! Really a job well done. Has anyone managed to hear Vodkazak - The Nikolayev Kapelye's release? I would assume it's probably klezmer stuff, which is not extremely popular among young people, but how is it anyway?
Unread 10-01-2002, 02:09 PM   #335
Jude

just discovered it and it's great! They debuted at the Chabad Centennial Concert last spring and the audience seemed to love it. I don't like Klezmer music, but this isn't Klezmer, i.e. no clarinet! When I heard the Centennial tape I was actually disappointed that it didn't have every niggun they played.

It's authentic Russian instruments playing niggunim as Chasidim of yesteryear used to hear them (before electric guitars and keyboards ). The Centennial tape had just a little bit of their performance. This tape has the rest, plus many more niggunim. It's a refreshing way to hear niggunim and these guys have spirit!
Unread 10-01-2002, 03:49 PM   #336
roza
Silver Member

what about torah tots? any problems?
Unread 10-20-2002, 11:03 AM   #337
Jude

Here's something to think about that's a bit off the topic, but has a connection with the question about the source of music.

The music of Wagner has been virtually banned in Israel since the establishment of the state because of the composers virulent anti-Semitism and the use of his music by the Nazis some 60 years after Wagners death.

Recently, a Jewish conductor in Israel, played Wagner's music as an encore, and the audience erupted into shouts and speeches, some for and some against.

You can imagine that the general arguments were:
pro - the music is beautiful
con - we should have nothing to do with Wagner

so too with the earlier discussion in this thread - the music is great, versus the composer is not ...
Unread 10-23-2002, 01:03 AM   #338
amgel49
Executive Member

hey everyone!
Have any of you heard of "Rami Kleinstein"?
I listen to him all the time!

Unread 10-23-2002, 10:59 AM   #339
WanderingJew
Executive Member

Yup, he is good. some find him objectionable because his music is secular, though.
Unread 10-23-2002, 05:45 PM   #340
Lubamessimaniac
Silver Member

Stam, sorry Jude, but Vodkazak is VERY Klezmerish, though thankfully without the clarinet. (The only clarinet playing that I appreciate is Andy Statman - an absolute genius and one of the world's best clarinetists.) Never heard of Rami, though, is he Israeli?
Unread 10-23-2002, 09:41 PM   #341
WanderingJew
Executive Member

Yes, he is. his music is great- except it's not frum. too bad.
Unread 10-27-2002, 11:21 PM   #342
poshut
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WanderingJew
while on that note...Avinu Malkenu, Avraham Fried's latest release, is breathtaking. the Chabad niggunim he chose to include just come alive. rated ten out of ten.
Unread 10-27-2002, 11:23 PM   #343
poshut
Executive Member

as is the music and choir on Fried's latest. The decription of the songs are very different and inspiring as well. But, is Karahod too jazzy?
Unread 10-28-2002, 01:12 AM   #344
Shlucha
Silver Member

don't worry, there are other tapes to worry about more than Avraham Fried-he's like the most "kosher" singer.

My question is does it have to do with the fact that he is Lubavitch, or that he just sings mostly niggunim and doesn't take goyished tunes etc. etc.
Unread 10-28-2002, 12:58 PM   #345
Jude

sings mostly niggunim? not so
this newest tape is his 3rd of Chabad niggunim
then he has two Yiddishe Otzros tapes, songs of Y.T. Erlich
the rest are regular Jewish music tapes, many songs have Yiddishe chein, and some don't (just imagine playing Modeh Ani for your alte Bubby )
Unread 10-28-2002, 01:31 PM   #346
Lubamessimaniac
Silver Member

Poshut - Karahod was MEANT to be a jazzy niggun. It's ALWAYS sung like that at chassunas; and it's NEVER sung seriously.
Unread 10-28-2002, 01:37 PM   #347
Jude

lighthearted is one thing, goyish is something else
Unread 10-28-2002, 02:33 PM   #348
Shlucha
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jude
sings mostly niggunim? not so
this newest tape is his 3rd of Chabad niggunim
then he has two Yiddishe Otzros tapes, songs of Y.T. Erlich
the rest are regular Jewish music tapes, many songs have Yiddishe chein, and some don't (just imagine playing Modeh Ani for your alte Bubby )
Ok, so not niggunim. But I've never heard someone who didn't listen to Avraham Fried. So my question still remains-is it because he's a Lubavitcher, or because he doesn't take goyishe tunes and his tunes are aidel (don't argue with that one, based on the past few posts, just look at some other singers, and yes, his tunes are aidel!! )
Unread 10-28-2002, 04:33 PM   #349
poshut
Executive Member

anyhow, my favorite song on the CD is the hachana niggun.
Unread 10-28-2002, 05:33 PM   #350
shoyn
Diamond Member

shlucha there are many who don't listen to avrohom fried, i believe his music is not allowed in detroit and perhpas other places , please correct me if i'm wrong
Closed Thread