Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Yiddishkeit

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Unread 04-24-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
HindaBatEsther
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 47
Question Are we closer to the time of Moshiach ?

I was told many years ago by a Chabad Rabbi that the Moshiach must come "before" the year 6000. He could come way before that..at any time , at any moment, but in it's time meant no later than the year 6000. I don't sit with pen and paper and try to figure it out either, but I do believe it will happen in my lifetime.

What can we do to tip the scales so that it happens sooner? If things are predestined and even our names are part of that destiny then can we change the date of the Moshiach coming too?
HindaBatEsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,699
one more mitzvah can tilt the scales
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
aaron benjamin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 130
I was hoping that the geulah was going to come this Nissan, on Acharon Shel Pesach perhaps, since we have the seudat Mashiach and all, but I am not sure whether the geulah is here now yet.
Quote:
the very name Nissan alludes to "miracles of a miraculous nature." May this also include the most important miracle, the Messianic redemption, as our Sages declared, "In Nissan, our people were redeemed [from Egypt,] and in Nissan, they will be redeemed [by the Moshiach]."
http://www.sichosinenglish.org/books...lish/44/27.htm
aaron benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron benjamin View Post
I was hoping that the geulah was going to come this Nissan, on Acharon Shel Pesach perhaps, since we have the seudat Mashiach and all, but I am not sure whether the geulah is here now yet.
we did not finish Nissan yet
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 04:54 AM   #5
HindaBatEsther
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 47
Something is up...But I am afraid if we want to leave the country and go to Israel before moshiach comes, that some of us might be prevented from doing so. We are planning on moving to Israel since we are not that far from getting our social security and figured it would be a good time to go. Of course if Moshiach comes now, and I pray he does come soon, then we will all go.
But read the article below if you can. Things might not be so easy.

http://www.consumertraveler.com/toda...et-a-passport/
HindaBatEsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
aaron benjamin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by chossidnistar View Post
we did not finish Nissan yet
It would seem to be a bit confusing since:
  • the Chazal said that the redemption will come in Nissan
  • in the Siddur we say that Tzemach will come on Simchat Torah
  • The Rebbe said throughout the entire year that the geulah will come techef umiad mamash
  • the Rambam also writes that - even though he may tarry I will await him EVERY DAY that he may come
How can all of these things be true at the same time? May this be an example of the 70 faces of Torah?
aaron benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,699
everyting is true
Nissan is the most auspicious time
Imagine that we would be able to see all the refined G-dliness, we would see the creation as a big box full of light
it is missing very little spots to fill up with light
Tzaddikim can see this, they think that we are able to fill up this with our Torah and mitzvos anytime, or at the predicted times
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
aaron benjamin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 130
Sometimes I feel as if my life were a prison and that if only Mashiach would come that hopefully I would be released from my prison and begin to really appreciate being alive with true simcha etc. When will the geulah shleima finally come?
aaron benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
HindaBatEsther
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 47
Moshiach Now!

Moshiach can come any second. The most important thing is to know it will happen and do everything you can to bring him quickly. You never know what act of one person can do that might tilt the scales as they say. So do mitzvah's as often as you can.

But I do have a question that is separate from this:
Does G-D have favorite souls? I don't mean the tzaddikim I just mean souls in general. would you say that Jewish souls could be G-D's favorite souls over Xtians etc?
HindaBatEsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by HindaBatEsther View Post
Moshiach can come any second. The most important thing is to know it will happen and do everything you can to bring him quickly. You never know what act of one person can do that might tilt the scales as they say. So do mitzvah's as often as you can.

But I do have a question that is separate from this:
Does G-D have favorite souls? I don't mean the tzaddikim I just mean souls in general. would you say that Jewish souls could be G-D's favorite souls over Xtians etc?
They don't call Jews the chosen people for nothing
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
mosheh5769
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron benjamin View Post
Sometimes I feel as if my life were a prison and that if only Mashiach would come that hopefully I would be released from my prison and begin to really appreciate being alive with true simcha etc. When will the geulah shleima finally come?
You must be released from your personal prison before the coming of Moshiach; before the Geuloh Klalis, every single yid must expereience a personal Geuloh. When you feel free in your Avodas Hashem, you will enjoy all the more the geuloh ho'ametis v'hashlemoh.
__________________
כל ישראל יש להם חלק לעולם הבא
mosheh5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
mosheh5769
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by HindaBatEsther View Post
But I do have a question that is separate from this:
Does G-D have favorite souls? I don't mean the tzaddikim I just mean souls in general. would you say that Jewish souls could be G-D's favorite souls over Xtians etc?
Jewish souls are "chelek eloka mima'al mamash", so yes, our souls are favored over the souls of all the inhabitants of that planet. And that's one of the reasons why religions like Xtianity and Islam developped the theory that G-d rejected us for them, while at the same time claiming that their religions are based on our Holy Torah. If we weren't so special, why trying to replace us? Like MTC said, they know who we are.
__________________
כל ישראל יש להם חלק לעולם הבא
mosheh5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
aaron benjamin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MahTovChelkeinu View Post
They don't call Jews the chosen people for nothing
In parenting aren't parents usually advised not to treat children as 'favorites' over their siblings?
aaron benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
aaron benjamin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosheh5769 View Post
You must be released from your personal prison before the coming of Moshiach; before the Geuloh Klalis, every single yid must expereience a personal Geuloh. When you feel free in your Avodas Hashem, you will enjoy all the more the geuloh ho'ametis v'hashlemoh.
Does every personal redemption need to precede the general redemption? Wouldn't that contradict the idea that the general redemption can come 'literally immediately' etc.?
aaron benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
mosheh5769
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron benjamin View Post
In parenting aren't parents usually advised not to treat children as 'favorites' over their siblings?
Such consideration does not obviously apply to G-d. It wasn't us who chose Him, but Him who chose us.
__________________
כל ישראל יש להם חלק לעולם הבא
mosheh5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #16
mosheh5769
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron benjamin View Post
Does every personal redemption need to precede the general redemption? Wouldn't that contradict the idea that the general redemption can come 'literally immediately' etc.?
One who cooks before Shabbes will eat during Shabbes...

It's precisely because the Geuoloh can happen at any moment that you must be prepared for it, like the teaching of our Sages in Pirkei Avos: Accomplish a Teshuvah the day before your death! It was asked, "How can we know the day we will die?" The answer is, "Because we don't know, we must accomplish a teshuvah every day." We apply the same concerning the geuloh: because it can happen at any moment, be prepared before it happens.
__________________
כל ישראל יש להם חלק לעולם הבא
mosheh5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #17
HindaBatEsther
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 47
Yes, G-D chose us as a nation, his people. But we had to accept the Torah and we did.
So now it's our obligation to follow the Torah so that it brings us closer to G-D and to fulfill G-D's plan. If G-D said Moshiach will come, then he will. We just have to try to make it happen today, right now.
HindaBatEsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #18
aaron benjamin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosheh5769 View Post
Such consideration does not obviously apply to G-d. It wasn't us who chose Him, but Him who chose us.
I was not intending to critisize Hashem ch'v. What I meant is that even if we were chosen by Hashem to receive the Torah etc. does that mean that it is neccesary for us to say that we are Hashem's favorite children?
aaron benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
aaron benjamin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosheh5769 View Post
We apply the same concerning the geuloh: because it can happen at any moment, be prepared before it happens.
It sounds good, but some things are simply beyond our control. For example, if someone has an illness that cannot be healed by conventional medicine etc. seemingly they will not have their healing until the geulah comes be"H.
aaron benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #20
Bnai Noach
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron benjamin View Post
I was not intending to critisize Hashem ch'v. What I meant is that even if we were chosen by Hashem to receive the Torah etc. does that mean that it is neccesary for us to say that we are Hashem's favorite children?
Everyone is his child, but some have more responsibilities than others. The ones that have more responsibility will be held accountable for more, but will be rewarded for at the same time. I don't think Hashem chooses favorites, but He is definitely just.

Last edited by Bnai Noach; 05-06-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: forgot to include quotation
Bnai Noach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 05:42 AM   #21
HindaBatEsther
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnai Noach View Post
Everyone is his child, but some have more responsibilities than others. The ones that have more responsibility will be held accountable for more, but will be rewarded for at the same time. I don't think Hashem chooses favorites, but He is definitely just.
Would it be presumptuous to believe that even with Jewish souls that G-D perhaps has favorites? All souls are pure but are we all equal? Are some souls that enter this earth more elevated in some aspects than others, where G-D might keep a closer watch over one particular soul than another soul?

as you stated Bnai Noach, I am trying to understand your statement so please correct me if I am wrong:
Like the Rebbe, G-D knew his soul before he was born and surely must have expected much from him and knew he would fulfill those expectations. On a different level, maybe there are other souls who are sent here for
certain reasons too. Perhaps their reasons ie expectations are not as demanding as was the Rebbe's but maybe G-D still thinks it's important enough to consider them favorites.

Last edited by HindaBatEsther; 05-08-2011 at 05:47 AM. Reason: want to add more
HindaBatEsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #22
Bnai Noach
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HindaBatEsther View Post
Would it be presumptuous to believe that even with Jewish souls that G-D perhaps has favorites? All souls are pure but are we all equal? Are some souls that enter this earth more elevated in some aspects than others, where G-D might keep a closer watch over one particular soul than another soul?

as you stated Bnai Noach, I am trying to understand your statement so please correct me if I am wrong:
Like the Rebbe, G-D knew his soul before he was born and surely must have expected much from him and knew he would fulfill those expectations. On a different level, maybe there are other souls who are sent here for
certain reasons too. Perhaps their reasons ie expectations are not as demanding as was the Rebbe's but maybe G-D still thinks it's important enough to consider them favorites.
What I'm saying is that Hashem, in His wisdom, appointed different people to different lives and responsibilities. He may bless one man to become a rabbi, He may bless another to live a righteous gentile, and everywhere in between.

The Jews are the apple of His eye, that is so. They are His chosen people. However, I believe G-d has at least similar love for the righteous gentile.
Bnai Noach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #23
HindaBatEsther
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 47
True, he must have a great and special love for the righteous gentile because Noach was one and of course there were others.
HindaBatEsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #24
mosheh5769
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnai Noach View Post
I believe G-d has at least similar love for the righteous gentile.
whose mission if accomplish properly enable the Jews to accomplish theirs.

Moshiach is for the whole mankind. Jews and Gentiles have received from G-d a different shlichus and abilities which, if combined, will lead this world to become a dira b'tachtonim for hakodosh boruch hu.
__________________
כל ישראל יש להם חלק לעולם הבא
mosheh5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #25
Bnai Noach
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosheh5769 View Post
whose mission if accomplish properly enable the Jews to accomplish theirs.

Moshiach is for the whole mankind. Jews and Gentiles have received from G-d a different shlichus and abilities which, if combined, will lead this world to become a dira b'tachtonim for hakodosh boruch hu.
I wish I knew what you just said. All I got was the "boruch hu" part, and I'm not even sure I got the "boruch." I've only been studying Hebrew a few months. Though I think I've got the idea behind "hakodosh"...

Anyhow, since G-d gives the Jews a special job and proclaims His love for them, and He also gives the righteous gentiles a special job and proclaims His love for them, and He wishes all to become one of the two camps (in the end, all will worship Hashem, meaning every gentile will become a righteous gentile, I think), then everyone's got their own special place in His heart.

Thus, we are all equally loved, we've just got different positions under Hashem than each other.
Bnai Noach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who is closer to the truth? Dove99%pure General 27 02-12-2010 12:53 AM
Will this bring moshiach closer? believer Moshiach 16 04-21-2006 09:42 AM
Nevua in the time of Moshiach (from Ayin Bais) Yankel Nosson Chassidus 4 05-23-2004 10:23 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2016 ChabadTalk.com