Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Yiddishkeit

Unread 02-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
jamesch230

how do you balance purity and integrating with non jewish society

how do religious Jews balance keeping their minds pure for g-d torah study etc whilst integrating with the world and non Jews to prevent isolation, my understanding and experience is religious Jews tend to keep themselves to themselves as they donít believe in prostelizing, in addition to this they reject a lot of secular pleasure i.e. non kosher food the arts as they consider that they could corrupt their minds

How do you balance keeping you minds pure etc whilst integrating with the world and gentiles?

Part of my reason for asking is at times I would love to ask a religious Jew something but at times partly due to their society and modesty large families clothing etc and the fact they seem to be a bit cold and closed to non Jews as they keep themselves to themselves
jamesch230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
OBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesch230 View Post
how do religious Jews balance keeping their minds pure for g-d torah study etc whilst integrating with the world and non Jews to prevent isolation, my understanding and experience is religious Jews tend to keep themselves to themselves as they donít believe in prostelizing, in addition to this they reject a lot of secular pleasure i.e. non kosher food the arts as they consider that they could corrupt their minds

How do you balance keeping you minds pure etc whilst integrating with the world and gentiles?

Part of my reason for asking is at times I would love to ask a religious Jew something but at times partly due to their society and modesty large families clothing etc and the fact they seem to be a bit cold and closed to non Jews as they keep themselves to themselves
When you have "solid base" and everything STRUCTURED in proper way you have the balance.
OBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

What do you mean by "integration"? Since we are supposed to follow different laws and maintain a separate community, Jews deliberately keep a distance from non-Jews and their culture (at the same time, respecting and cherishing them as fellow human beings created "in the image of G-d").
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote