Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Chabad Chassidus

Unread 04-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
morty613

Learning vs. Saying Rambam

Does anyone have any insight as to the value and importance of saying Rambam as opposed to learning it?

Is it more important to say 3 Perokim or learn 1 Perek?

I would appreciate if someone can quote some sources. I am really conflicted on this issue, because I cannot learn properly 3 Perokim every day but I know that the Rebbe stressed 3 Perokim.
morty613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

i don't remember where the source is, but i remember that the rebbe talked about the importance of learning it, and not just saying the words.
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Rambam is not tehilim
logically if you learn it properly 1 perek ,in 3 years you can jump to the 3 perokim knowing what you are talking about
But i remember something about learning at least 1 halacha properly
the best answer is going to come from your Rov
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty613 View Post
Does anyone have any insight as to the value and importance of saying Rambam as opposed to learning it?

Is it more important to say 3 Perokim or learn 1 Perek?
See this compilation: Learning Rambam.pdf

The Rebbe said: Just as one recites the daily portion of Chumash and Tehillim even if he does not understand what he is reading, there is good reason to do the same with the daily Tanya. A similarly concept applies to the more recent practice of studying a daily portion of Rambam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likkutei Sichos, vol. 28, p. 28
READING EVEN WITHOUT PROPER UNDERSTANDING

The Previous Rebbe instituted the daily study of Chitas (Chumash, Tehillim, and Tanya) as a practice applicable equally to everyone in our times, much as he himself is a leader for every person in our times. The weekly portion of Chumash is divided between the seven days of the week; Tehillim is divided between the days in the month; and Tanya is divided according to the days in the year.

Some mistakenly assume that these study cycles are simply part of our overall obligation to study Torah. If this were the case, then studying the daily portion of Tanya would only apply to someone who is sufficiently familiar with the terminology and mystical concepts it contains, since Tanya is part of the Oral Law, the study of which requires comprehension to fulfill one's duty.
The truth, however, is that the study of Chitas is mainly connected to and for the sake of oneís very life and soul -- chayei nafsho!

Just as one recites the daily portion of Chumash and Tehillim even if he does not understand what he is reading, there is good reason to do the same with the daily Tanya. A similarly concept applies to the more recent practice of studying a daily portion of Rambam. [Editor's Note: It has been pointed out by chassidim that the opening word of the Rebbe's inaugural discourse, Basi LeGani, allude to the four daily study cycles for which the Rebbe strongly campaigned, in their precise order: Basi is spelled: beis, alef, taf, yud, which are the initials of the opening words of the Chumash ("bereishis" --beis); Tehillim ("ashrei" -- alef); Tanya ("tanya" -- taf); and Mishneh Torah ("yesod" -- yud).]

Seeing the daily Rambam from this perspective -- a channel to our Rebbe, who serves as a life-line to Hashem, drawing our generation's physical and spiritual sustenance and wellbeing -- encourages us to prioritize our daily tasks to devote time for the study of Mishneh Torah.
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

1 perek is still learning Rambam and if the all kavana is to learn 1 perek well in order that in 3 years he is going to be able to learn Rambam as is the real intent
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankel Nosson View Post
Just as one recites the daily portion of Chumash and Tehillim even if he does not understand what he is reading, there is good reason to do the same with the daily Tanya. [/b]
the above translation makes it sound like the way to do shiur tanya (lechatchila) is to do it without understanding it.

i think that a more accurate translation of the original sicha (which by the way is volume 28 page 286, not page 28) is:
and just as with the shiur of chumash and tehilim (the written torah), a person fulfills it even if he doesn't know what he is saying, we can say that the same applies to the shiur tanya.
with regard to tanya, i remember quite clearly (sorry, i don't have the source at my fingertips) that the rebbe stressed the importance of understanding the shiur tanya, not just saying it.

perhaps the above may be likened to mitzvos with or without kavana (intention). when we do a mitzva without kavana, we are still doing the mitzva. but it is much more sublime and has much more effect when we do the mitzva with proper kavana.

the same with learning tanya and rambam (and even chumash, the written torah). when we say it without understanding it, we are doing the required shiurim. but when we understand it, we are achieving more.
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

The above "quote" from the sicha in v 28 - is a distortion in my opinon. The distortion was increased by combining paragraphs in the translation, unlike the original.

More to the point, in my opinion, is the sicha printed in LS v 27 p231.

[Apparantly all part of the superficiality that reigns today in Chabad...].
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emes m'eretz View Post
perhaps the above may be likened to mitzvos with or without kavana (intention). when we do a mitzva without kavana, we are still doing the mitzva. but it is much more sublime and has much more effect when we do the mitzva with proper kavana.
I not know clearly what you mean by "kavaa" - but we pasken - see AR's SA 60:5. Unless by "kavana" you mean "the meaning behind the mitzva".
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
Unless by "kavana" you mean "the meaning behind the mitzva".
that's what i meant. as explained in tanya chapter 40 (especially from page 110 on)