Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Jewish Life > Teenagers

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Unread 03-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Usher
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5
Pittsburgh Yeshiva

Does anyone know anything about Tomchei Temimim Pittsburgh?
Usher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
Hiskashrus
Diamond Member
 
Hiskashrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,450
To my knowledge, it is the only mainstream yeshiva which includes secular studies in its curriculum.
__________________
Hiskashrus: available at a sforim shank near you
Hiskashrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
The Eighth King
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiskashrus
To my knowledge, it is the only mainstream yeshiva which includes secular studies in its curriculum.
Los Angeles also has that option.
The Eighth King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 06:32 PM   #4
Hiskashrus
Diamond Member
 
Hiskashrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,450
as opposed to "Girsah" but how "Mainstream" is Los Angeles?
__________________
Hiskashrus: available at a sforim shank near you
Hiskashrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 10:40 PM   #5
Aaronke
Silver Member
 
Aaronke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiskashrus
as opposed to "Girsah" but how "Mainstream" is Los Angeles?
At least as mainstream as Pittsburgh. In addition to the fact that it's accompanied by am amazing Zal which is known to be from the more prestigious Tomchei Tmimim. You have a Gaon Adir R. Shochet as Rosh Yeshiva, an amazing Mashpia R. Mendel Shapiro. You have R. Bentzion Oster, R. Mendel Cohen etc.
Aaronke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 10:54 PM   #6
Hiskashrus
Diamond Member
 
Hiskashrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,450
you mean Zal also has the Secular Studies option?
__________________
Hiskashrus: available at a sforim shank near you
Hiskashrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
Aaronke
Silver Member
 
Aaronke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiskashrus
you mean Zal also has the Secular Studies option?
No way, Jose!
Aaronke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #8
mordechai7215
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,136
The LA english program is very good -and since the Misivta is a normal one . . . I'd recommend it to those who want davka english.
mordechai7215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member
 
Yankel Nosson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronke
At least as mainstream as Pittsburgh. In addition to the fact that it's accompanied by am amazing Zal which is known to be from the more prestigious Tomchei Tmimim. You have a Gaon Adir R. Shochet as Rosh Yeshiva, an amazing Mashpia R. Mendel Shapiro. You have R. Bentzion Oster, R. Mendel Cohen etc.
Also Agent Emes, no?
__________________
Chassidim must study Chassidus--HaYom Yom 21Kislev
Yankel Nosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 07:22 PM   #10
lubablulu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 16
Yes Pittsburgh has a secular curriculum which isn't too shabby, but they do not teach as much chassidus as other yeshivos. A majority of the boys who graduate from there turn out more modern, and many go to college. Other than teaching some english subjects and their basketball team, the yeshiva has nothing special to offer.
lubablulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #11
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,336
The reason to go to Pittsburgh is specifically the secular curriculum, and the staff are pretty good as well. The 11th grade gets a little better, as they prepare you for mainstream Yeshivah if you so wish. It's not that the chasidus is weak, or the nigleh, it's just that the time consumed by secular studies is on the cheshbon of the limudei kodesh.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #12
KolB'Seder
Member
 
KolB'Seder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 81
Pittsburgh happens to be a wonderful Mesivta. The Hanhola there has really shaped up the place. This years Talmidei HaShluchim all happen2be alumni of the School. I learnt there myself. To say a majority of the bochrim who graduate turn out more modern and that many go to college is the biggest load of garbage I have heard. From my class and classes above me and below I do not know of a single person who went to a Universtity. What you have said is absed on rumors that you decided to make up and are not true.
KolB'Seder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #13
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,336
In what year were you in Pittsburgh for 11th Grade?
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 12:54 AM   #14
KolB'Seder
Member
 
KolB'Seder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 81
two years ago.
KolB'Seder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #15
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,336
Then the classes below you would not yet have had the opportunity to go to college. I do not know of anyone who went to college from your class, however I do know of those who went to college in the classes above you. Would you like their names?
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #16
KolB'Seder
Member
 
KolB'Seder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 81
To clarify-I am talking about bochurim who are lubavitchers. There are those who are intowners and do not always come from a lubavitch home. I know some who went to YU. So if you consider YU as a 'university' then yes some go to college. But i could say that 95%(thats being very genberous to the other 5%) have not attented college.
KolB'Seder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 06:40 PM   #17
roza
Silver Member
 
roza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 639
Are there any shluchim's children in Pittsburgh Yeshiva? Out of towners?
__________________
אמר הרבי מקוצק: לא כל מה שחושבין נכון לומר. לא כל מה שמדברים
.נכון לכתוב. לא כל מה שכותבין נכון להדפיס
roza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 07:51 PM   #18
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by KolB'Seder View Post
To clarify-I am talking about bochurim who are lubavitchers. There are those who are intowners and do not always come from a lubavitch home. I know some who went to YU. So if you consider YU as a 'university' then yes some go to college. But i could say that 95%(thats being very genberous to the other 5%) have not attented college.
YU is not an university? now u have our friend Berger teaching there full time
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #19
KolB'Seder
Member
 
KolB'Seder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 81
Granted. This way he won't scream 'yechi'..which is better than going to a University where worse things go on and he will not give 'bout anything,no?
KolB'Seder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2006, 11:05 AM   #20
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member
 
Meshulam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,427
Just to clarify: YU is decidedly a university. It was very much in existence when the Rebbe blanketly condemned attendance at university. T
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 11:04 PM   #21
Eitan770
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 65
I will IY"H be going to the Pittsburgh Yeshiva next year.
Eitan770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 12:00 AM   #22
avrumi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19
I hope you like it there. I went through the system and it was great for somebody who wants a chasidish environment and a secular education.
avrumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #23
beinoniwannabe
Banned
 
beinoniwannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 52
Truthfully, I think we need more schools like the PY, to bring up the level in Chabad.
Go ahead now, bash me.
beinoniwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 10:27 PM   #24
Eitan770
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by avrumi View Post
I hope you like it there. I went through the system and it was great for somebody who wants a chasidish environment and a secular education.
My one question is - how much actually Chassidus do they learn there?
Eitan770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #25
bigboy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 18
there's an hour of chassidus b/4 davening and an hour during night seder, they also give you almost an hour to learn sichos
bigboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
yeshiva schools of pittsburgh clara The World of Lubavitch 9 05-19-2008 09:18 PM
Ch Yeshiva chabadsmiles Controversy 0 10-14-2005 03:40 PM
Shluchim in Yeshiva motti770 Teenagers 93 10-05-2003 03:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2009 ChabadTalk.com