View Single Post
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
curiosity

FlyingAxe - Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it very much. I read what was written in the link, and it is very interesting to read the Rambam's writings. However, (unless I'm wrong), the views and ideas expressed in that link are from the 1100's. My original question is regarding "early Jews". I'm trying to find the earliest references possible pertaining to "other gods", and to try to come to some understanding of whether or not the "early Jews" believed as Rambam did.

You bring up "elokim", literally translated as "G_d in plural". That is very interesting as well, and I meant to mention that, but forgot to. Since you bring it up now, I will ask: How are we to view "Elokim" (plural) as being compatible with the ONE G_d of Abraham?

Quote:
"So, all the "foreign gods" that you mention are not really separate entities or, G-d forbid, separate gods, similar to, lehavdil, G-d or Abraham. G-d of Abraham is the only G-d. Lehavdil, "foreign gods" are spiritual entities that are part of G-d's expression of Himself, which people in the ancient times erroneously decided to worship. You can say that the difference between G-d of Abraham and, lehavdil, gods of Egyptians, is the difference between looking at a person's face vs. looking at his toenails (to use an anthropomorphic metaphor)."
This is how I personally feel regarding the issue.
curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote